• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

King of the Cats 2007 Team Whisker Wranglers

DTro

Quote:

Unfortunately after a few minutes of fight, that was one of the breakoffs.

Breakoffs or come undone?

I was trying to think of the last time I 'broke off' on a flathead cat and that was 3 years ago, before I made the big upgrade to 80lb PP from 50lb PP. Can't help it when one comes unbottoned though, have had a few too many of them this year.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were both break offs. confused.gif 1 must have been caught on a rock when the first went for the load up.... did the Hook set and POINK. That was 65lb PP. Time to retie, So I throw the other rod out with the 50lb PP. The hit that WWG was talking about (that made me about shart myself) happens. WWG goes to reel his line in and its snagged. Fish wraps around snagged line and starts going nuts. It sounds like a freaking violin as this fish is pulling back and fourth. We should have both backed off our lines, thinking about it. The fish got close to the surface and did an about face. KRACK!!!! mad.gif

I'm taking the end 15 yds of my PP off today and retying.

Never in my time have I had luck such as that.

Guess I can't really cry seeing that we had a good night and with a 22lber under the belt. But I was pretty P.O.ed with those 2 lost ones on different rods. The hot spot is still producing, UNBELEIVABLE!!!!

Nice Job WWG on the three consecutive upgrades. I got to stop letting these newcomers putting points on the board. Our team is gonna fall way be hind.

Wow!

Both those BO's sound like the were related to abnormal conditions, but then again, when do we fish flatheads in normal conditions. smile.gif

Sounds like a fun night you guys, and to think I turned down the offer because I didn't have "fishing" clothes with me at work yesterday.

Quote:

Yeah, but I believe LFC "only" uses 65lb line
blush.gif

Your part correct. 65lb on one rod 50lb on another.

If I didn't know you better Wiggs, It sounds like your trying to fire up the old 50lb PP vs the 80lbpp debate. Not quite sure this qualifies for Hanson and DPS as a "HA HA I told you soooooo".

80pp or 100pp may????? have withstood in these instances. But given the circumstances and my record of numbers and big fish. I'm gonna chalk it up to the fish gods keeping me humble. I might be inclined to change my thinking if I ever have a repeat.

Quote:

Wow!

Both those BO's sound like the were related to abnormal conditions, but then again, when do we fish flatheads in normal conditions.
smile.gif

I was/ and still am scratching my head at the scenarios that played out last night. Your right Hanson.... If it involves flatheads, It's hardly ever normal conditions. cool.gif

Quote:

80pp or 100pp may????? have withstood in these instances.

Thats a big "may"!

Woulda, coulda, shoulda? Who knows?

The night I caught my 48lb with Darren, I had another run absolutely identical to the big girl. Snapped her off on the hookset between the hook and sinker. That was 80lb PP. Lots of force going 2 different directions at the same time can do funny things to even the toughest lines.

I had happy dreams last night reliving that monster hit on Larry's rod. I have been fishing cats for 5 years now and I have never heard a bait get thumped like that one did. Good thing I wasn't taking a leak at the time or I would have gone over the side as Larry jumped a foot out of his chair when that girl hit.

Unbelievable!!!!! grin.gif

Quote:

I had happy dreams last night reliving that monster hit on Larry's rod. I have been fishing cats for 5 years now and I have never heard a bait get thumped like that one did. Good thing I wasn't taking a leak at the time or I would have gone over the side as Larry jumped a foot out of his chair when that girl hit.

Unbelievable!!!!!
grin.gif

Isn't that why we do it grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

Good thing I wasn't taking a leak at the time or I would have gone over the side as Larry jumped a foot out of his chair when that girl hit.

LFC doesnt mess around with response time...seen him run full throttle to his clicker buzzing 20yards away in the dark and take out another rod (setup in rod holder on shore) with the line from said other rod wrapped around his leg just to get to that clicker. Pretty funny...glad I wasn't in the way.

Quote:

If I didn't know you better Wiggs, It sounds like your trying to fire up the old 50lb PP vs the 80lbpp debate.

Would I do that??? grin.gif

Keep in mind I run 20lb Big Game on one rod and have all the faith in the world in it blush.gif

Quote:

Quote:

If I didn't know you better Wiggs, It sounds like your trying to fire up the old 50lb PP vs the 80lbpp debate.

Would I do that??? grin.gif

Keep in mind I run 20lb Big Game on one rod and have all the faith in the world in it blush.gif

The 20# Big Game is much tougher than 50 or 65# power pro in abbrasive conditions.

I wont give you an *I told you so* Larry... Time will catch up, and eventually you will find that honey hole that will require a new spool of line after your done losing $25 worth of terminal tackle in an evening, and a fish or two of a lifetime... once you change up, you wont go back to the lighter line for flathead fishing.

When that time comes.. stay away from 100# unless you want to reposition your anchors every time you get a snag... but you can drag a fish through just aboutanything with the stuff.

Quote:

Quote:

Good thing I wasn't taking a leak at the time or I would have gone over the side as Larry jumped a foot out of his chair when that girl hit.

LFC doesnt mess around with response time...seen him run full throttle to his clicker buzzing 20yards away in the dark and take out another rod (setup in rod holder on shore) with the line from said other rod wrapped around his leg just to get to that clicker. Pretty funny...glad I wasn't in the way.

Lowblazah..... grin.gif

I think your signature hits the nail on the head....

Funny rehash Mate..... that would have been one for video.

LOL

There must be a better place to rehash this old argument grin.gif

This thread is for discussing how we're going to celebrate our victory at the end of the season.....right guys cool.gif

Quote:

There must be a better place to rehash this old argument
grin.gif

This thread is for discussing how we're going to celebrate our victory at the end of the season.....right guys
cool.gif

Celebrate What?!?!?!?!?!?

Hey wake up mate, your dream time is over. Not to be a bubble buster. We got a ways to go. This will be a good race right up to the end.

"how we're going to celebrate our victory at the end of the season." silly Dturtle cats are for KINGS!!!!!!

LOL

You got a good thing going mate keep it up!

Early predictions....but we have time, and the fish are biting now! I'm pretty sure there's a come-from-behind victory in the future. Not predicting that it'll be us, exactly, but you know the story of the tortoise and the hare! smile.gif

Larry....did you get the pics and measurements to DTRO??

I suppose I better follow up before my 48 hours is up.

You can email them to me at

wastewaterguru @ hotmail.com

I'll be on the water Saturday hopefully with another flat upgrade and something to get the zero off channels.

I felt the same way about a 38lb flat not being an upgrade from 34. I think 5 points is kinda high for a channel.

Maybe next year it should be dropped to 4 for flats and 3 for channels. Would give a person the chance to have a more accurate total for just how well one really does over the season. Just a suggestion. grin.gif

BTW Nice Fish!

Quote:

I felt the same way about a 38lb flat not being an upgrade from 34. I think 5 points is kinda high for a channel.

Maybe next year it should be dropped to 4 for flats and 3 for channels. Would give a person the chance to have a more accurate total for just how well one really does over the season. Just a suggestion.
grin.gif

BTW Nice Fish!

I agree Rob, and this year was really just a feeler, and I just pulled these number out of the air. It will be reevaluated as well as a couple of other things.

I've been chasing flatheads on the St Croix the last two nights and I've caught some fish but I can't seem to find an upgrade. Wednesday night I got a 32" X 19" and tonight I got a 39" X 22" which only is 1 point above my best so far. At least the flathead bite is back on again. I missed a nice fish on Tuesday night that felt heavy before he unbuttoned on me.

The St Croix channel cat drifting bite is starting to turn on. I'm starting to see some pretty good sized shad schools on sonar and the cats are starting to feed. I am going to plan a couple of channel cat trips in the next week and I will let you all know when in case any of you want to hook up. Manny send me a PM on IDA as to when a good night would be for you.