• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2006 Goal

Whats your goal for archery hunting this fall?

Mine is to have a safe hunt with friends and to harvest 2-3 does and hold out for a Pope&Young buck.I always have a hard time not shooting a smaller buck and then dont have a tag for the big one.

Its great to shoot any deer with a bow as they are truly a real trophy.But,the big one is also nice if you are willing to go without.

"Ditto" Harvey Lee on the goal setting!

I have been setting the same goals for the last few years since you could tag four deer where I hunt.

The only problem I've had for the last five years is all I could get in range where small basket-rack bucks and no doe's! Oh well, I did shoot a nice doe that weighed 140lbs. just after Christmas. Otherwise I have been blanked the last four years, but thats the price you pay to get those basket-rack bucks to grow up to become monster-bucks!

I have a 149" 10 point buck on the wall, so a bigger buck is what I will set my goal for this year!

Good Luck and hunt safe this year!

Finlander wink.gif

For all of you new guys,I would make one suggestion.I know its nice to shoot a big buck,but with this being your first year I would maybe do this.

It can be very diffucult to get drawn back on any deer let alone a mature whitetail buck.If you get a chance to shoot a doe I would take the shot.If you choose not to at least as the doe walks by try and pull back and pretend like your going to shoot it.

When crunch time comes at a bigger buck and you have never drawn back on any deer it could be very hard to do.

I'am not saying you have to harvest a doe your first year but it will help you with getting drawn back on deer so when big daddy comes you will know what to do.

If you are lucky enough to have more than one tag then I would say shoot away.You will also find out that shooting a doe with fawns is also very hard because mama watches very close and its also very hard to draw back with many sets of eyes around.

Good luck to you all. smile.gif

I agree with Harvey Lee 100%. Regardless of how much other hunting experience you have, those first couple of deer that you shoot with your bow will be very memorable regardless if its a big buck, or just your average doe. Given the choice, take a few does first if you can just to get that experience behind you. In any case, take the time, be patient and make a good clean shot.

My personal goal is to cleanly and safely take up to 4 does, and if I happen to have the opportunity on a nice buck, I will make a good clean shot, and need help from at least 3 or 4 buddies to help drag the brute out of the woods grin.gifgrin.gif

A mature doe (last year I took two yearling does - meaning 1 1/2 years olds - with my bow) and a six point or better buck. This is my second year and I haven't taken a buck yet. Then I will hold out for bigger guys in future seasons.

My goal is to shoot a p&y buck...but I will settle for a 3 year old 8 pointer if I see one. I usually like to shoot a doe on the first week; boy I can taste that fresh veni already...yum. Anyway; I am just like the earlier post; any time in the stand is awesome, and surely better than work tongue.gif. Good luck and be safe...wear those harnesses....you only have 1 life.

I'm hoping to arrow a nice doe right away and then get some duck and grouse hunting in before the bucks start getting fired up in mid-October. There's an elusive 9 ptr that escaped me last year, but hopefully not this year! My dad and I, along with a few friends have an archery hunt in Stratton, Ontario the week before our rifle season, so I'm hoping for a big Canadian buck, EH!

As Exteme said, use that safety harness! Be careful and always be wary of those screw in steps!!!

Brian

This is also my first year bow hunting, and from what I have read and heard from others is that it is definatly different than gun hunting. So I agree with you harveylee about being more than willing to take a nice doe or whatever comes into range. My goal is just to get on a spot where I can watch some deer, even if I dont get a shot. It's alot of fun just watching them, and I assume it will help to calm the nerves when rifle season starts.

Very true.I know alot of people that have gotten pretty good with archery hunting and could care less about going with the gun,its to easy.Probably why you see archery hunting and muzzleloader hunting on the move with more hunters.Better challenge. smile.gif

"Probably why you see archery hunting and muzzleloader hunting on the move with more hunters.Better challenge."

Harvey, that's exactly what has me bow hunting for the first time this year. As much as I love rifle hunting I am looking for more time in the woods and the extra challenge. I agree with most here - I just want a good safe and fair hunt and if I get a doe or a buck I will be pumped.

My goal.. to spend some fun time in stand and relax!.. I am somewhat high strug person.. archery hunting is one of my few times in my life when I just relax... if I shoot a deer, great.. if not.. great anyway.

My goal.. to place a quick clean harvest shot on a deer this year. Clean the deer all myself and enjoy the fruits of my labor the rest of the year.

Spend time in the woods with my father and friends. I work second shift and have plenty of time to burn. So I can hunt prety much any morning as long as I can function on a few hours sleep. I usually get out 4-5 mornings a week plus my evenings off. I'll take a doe or two early then hold out for a decent buck. Usually I get itchy after 3 weeks and take a buck.

Of course hopeing for quick clean kills...

My goal - as always - is to have a doe in the freezer by the time pheasant hunting rolls around, then I can hit the birds hard and then go after a buck when the rut heats up in late Oct/early Nov. Plus I like that fresh venison!! smile.gif The last few years I've taken the whole first week of November off to bowhunt morning and evening before the gun hunters. If I have that doe in the freezer, I will pass on small bucks, but if I haven't gotten one yet, and get a good opportunity at a buck, large or small, hes going down, because after the gun hunters get going, the deer really get spooky and hard to get with a bow. And as I said earlier, I like venison and a nice fat six point tastes great - better than tag soup!!! My other goal is to take only good shots and make a clean kill. Two years ago I almost lost a deer with a 'too far back' hit and last year I did lose one. I hate that feeling!! My third goal is to get my wife is a position to get a shot at a deer. Shes been bowhunting the last several years and has only gotten one shot, which she missed. I'd like to see her get that rush of deer up close and personal.

For you rookie bowhunters, I'd like to repeat what other have said, don't hesitate to shoot that first deer that comes by, provided it doesn't have spots. You need the practice drawing back and taking shots and trailing deer. Nothing sends you back to the archery butt for more practice than a miss!!! Practice shooting deer before you have that opportunity at Mr. Big!! And wear a safty rope!!!

Just writing this is getting me excited for bowhunting!!! Can't wait to get out!!!

first 3 years of hunting i used a muzzleloader and shot 4 deer last year i switched to a bow and shot a 9 pointer opening day and felt very lucky!! this year my goal is to shoot a nice doe or a 6 point buck or better. it is also a lot different shooting at a deer than a target like you guys are saying. you havent had the opertunity to put your pin on a deer when it is your first year. Also dosent help when you got a little buck fever grin.gif the rush bow hunting is 10 times more exciting when you see a deer compared to gun hunting in my opinion!!

My goal is to shoot any doe, yearling or older, until my tags are gone (4). I don't plan to shoot a buck unless he's got a decent rack, which is a relative term I realize, but no yearling bucks & would have to be a pretty nice 2 1/2 year-old. I would say at least wider than the ears or very unique if not. I'm a trash rack guy. There's a place or two I'd maybe take a smaller buck that last week before gun season, depending on how psyched out I am at the time & how the season's gone so far. Most of the places I bow hunt now I've shot both bucks & does before, so there isn't that whole, Wow it's my first buck here, kind of thing.

I'd echo along with the other guys. For you beginning hunters, anything you think isn't a fawn, shoot it, unless for some reason you won't be happy with the deer & appreciate it. That first deer with the bow is the hardest one to get, my second one wasn't very easy either. If you do wind up making a mistake & shooting a fawn don't worry about it & still take pride in it. It's still a deer with the bow & they taste great. I've shot my share.