• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How big is too big?

CrappieJohn

Lots of banter is taking place about augers right now. Pro and cons are simply sailing throughout the day, every day. One thing that I think needs to be addressed is how big of a hole is actually big enough before it is too big.

Some will argue that a larger hole will handle any sized fish. It will....handily. So will a hole a bit smaller. For years I hauled 13 and 14 inch crappies thru a six inch hole. The largest walleye I have ever taken came to me ice fishing. It was late ice on upper Lake Pepin and weighed in at just under 13 pounds. That fish came thru an eight inch hole without a hitch.

There is something else to consider when you are using those augers with blades large enough to bore a howitzer barrel....safety. If you are in an area and rip out a dozen holes and move a couple hours later, especially when there is some blowing snow, those holes can get hidden from other's sight and create place where someone could step thru and get hurt. An adult can pretty much take care of themself. A child may not be as fortunate. Here is what happened to me a few years ago. And this is where I am coming from.

A friend and I were fishing a popular sandpit where family fishing is as common as not. It was a beautiful winter day... sunny, warm, and wind-free. We had gotten to this site early and got a half dozen ten inchers popped and went to fishing. The first four holes that we dropped into were all we needed. My buddy had left something back at the vehicle, so he pulled his lines and set out for the car a half mile away. While he was gone, a family came along and set up camp behind me a hundred yards away. They had three kids, the youngest about three. I was watching my holes pretty intently when in the corner of my eye I saw something blue going down one of the open holes. Instinctively I reached over and grabbed at whatever it was and came up with a soaked three-year old. What I got a hold of was his hair as he was going down. Trust me, I no longer own a ten inch auger.

This incident is just one of many that we hear of and people shake their heads and wonder why that guy with the kid wasn't watching out better. It wasn't the guy, it wasn't the kid....it was the ten inch hole. These huge pits are not needed unless you are fishing for lakers or really big northerns. The smaller diameter holes will serve fine. They might prevent things from falling into the holes and being lost. No on has ever done that, right? They will cut quicker and cleaner. They tax the engine far less. And from the safety standpoint, they are indeed safer.

For me a 8" is plenty big. Even if I break the state record for pike or lake trout it will still be fine. I'll agree it is a little harder to get a big fish turned up a 8" hole vs. a 10", but can be done without a hitch if you take your time and don't force it. A fish would need to have a girth of 25" or better to not fit up a 8" hole. I also bring a small chipper to keep my holes clean so hole shrinkage in not an issue.

Absolutely! I have a 3 year old and just the thought of him falling down a hole is terrifying.

I use an 8 inch hole and I've never had any problems getting a fish through--and since I use a hand auger, I don't know if I'd want to consider a 10 anyway. In fact, when the ice gets really thick and I get lazy, sometimes I switch back to the 6 incher. Got a 9 lb northern (wasn't easy) and many 14 inch crappies through a 6 inch hole.

I have an 8" power and 6" hand augers. I believe STRONGLY that holes over 8" should be outlawed. That jump from 8 to 10 is significant. Doesn't sound like much, but the open area is much greater on a 10" hole. I don't buy the arguments that the 10" hole is better as the hole freezes throughout the day, etc. Make some hole covers, or just tend your holes as you should, and it won't be a problem. And there is virtually no fish that won't fit through an 8" hole.

Yeah I use an 8 inch auger and that is plenty big for all the fishing I do. I know my friend wishes he had an 8 inch auger instead of his 10 inch because with a 10 inch hole, a vexilar can slide through the hole just right. So at the bottom of a local lake there is a new vexilar sittin down there.

Quote:

I have an 8" power and 6" hand augers. I believe STRONGLY that holes over 8" should be outlawed. That jump from 8 to 10 is significant. Doesn't sound like much, but the open area is much greater on a 10" hole. I don't buy the arguments that the 10" hole is better as the hole freezes throughout the day, etc. Make some hole covers, or just tend your holes as you should, and it won't be a problem. And there is virtually no fish that won't fit through an 8" hole.

Yep. We should also outlaw those big, oversized, comfy fish houses (anything over 4x6. Oh, and those big SUV's we use to pull them with!

Sorry Augernaut, while I agree that 10" holes have a potential to be more dangerous, that seems a bit extreme.

I would have to say 8-8 1/2 is plenty big. I bring a chisel with just in case I were to ever get Walter ( the big fish from On Golden Pond). But those 10" holes are just monsterous. I know that younger kids i take out could easily fall into a 10 inch hole. Trust me kids like to run around on the ice, so having a swiss cheese ice sheet of 10inch holes you gotta be carful. I know i have put a foot or two down 10inchers, you typically feel it the next day. smile.gif

Happy fishing,

Dano

I think a fish with a girth of 24 inches could possibly fit through an 8 inch hole and a ten inch hole could fit a fish with a 31 inch girth, considering the hole size doesn't shrink. In my expierence mostly fishing in permenant ice houses a ten inch hole would be better because you wouldn't have to keep redrilling the hole. Although i have only heard a few cases where the hole got too small to bring the fish through.

If I ever caught a fish to big to fit through an 8" hole I'd have a heart attack and not be able to enjoy it.

I've been ice fishing since I was a tiny little youngun. 8" is the biggest hole I've ever had. My first auger was a chisel. Then I moved up to a 6" hand cranker. Then an 8" hand cranker. Then my amazingly cool wife bought me an 8" gas auger for Christmas!!!!!! It was a Christmas miracle!!!

All kidding aside, I've stepped into a left over 10" hole. The result was 2 broken bones in my foot and a ruined day on the ice. Sure, I'm a klutz for not looking where I was walking, but gosh, 10" hole is awful big.

CT pretty much summed it up. Besides that, I'd bet 95% of the ice fishermen don't have to worry about catching, let alone landing anything large enough, where one would need a 10" hole!

They are easy to step in, if the driller takes the mound away from them, but I guess they have a place, like if you are fishing for Northerns, or drilling holes side by side to chop out a spearhole, or do some research, or string some nets....maybe in the fish house if you have the room to manuver?

I guess some will always prefer the larger drill, just like some hunters use a big heavy bullet to hunt deer that could easily be put down with much less firepower. They are never going to hunt Lions, Tigers and Bears with it.

Some deer hunters will shoot a bow with a draw weight that could put an arrow right through a car...they are never going to hunt Elephants with it.

I have a computer, I will never be a wizard on it, but I like dinking around with it! I guess it just comes down to personal choice, and for something like this, the size of an auger bit, we certainly don't need any laws to mandate it!

Like anything else where we have the freedom to choose how we apply something, a little common sense goes a long ways!

I've got both 8" and 10" power augers and use the 8" 99% of the time.I've had the 10" for 7 yrs now and it just isnt needed.I've pulled a 12.5lb rainbow,a 15lb pike,and 15lb carp,(no kiddin)thru that 8" hole easily.It's lighter,faster,more mobile than the 10" and blades are cheaper too!But on the other hand,a car or truck with 400 horsepower is nice to have even if you dont really need it!

I am a fan of the 9" and can fish a 8" with just as much confidence. The 10" and 12" are a bit big and do have safety concerns.

I have stepped into large holes that were mine, it hurts and it could have been a broken bone I guess.

I fell completely though and came close to drowning from a spear hole on a river, so I am not a big fan of them. If folks remember to plug and mark large holes, it certainly would up the safety factor.

We need to keep our eyes open and be responsible for our own holes if they pose a potential danger to others.

I've never owned an auger over 8" and we've been fine as far as icing big fish. I've had pike to 44" with no trouble at all. I did have a friend of mine have a little trouble with a 12 lb walleye but we had a gaff to help smirk.gif I do have a friend that uses a 10"... He also uses Polar tipups... Every year he is replacing at least 2 that fall in the hole grin.gif

I gotta go with the majority here and say 8" is plenty big.

I have a 2 yr old that is going to be fishing this year with

me and I don't want to have to worry about her falling in. Firm beleiver in the larger the hole the more opportunity for items to fall down the hole....Mille Lacs already has a GameBoy of mine! mad.gif

I prefer a 9" cut and use a 10" often. To say a 10" should be outlawed is crazy. Keep a eye on your kids and watch where you walk. You are responsable for yourself and your kids! Not the guy cutting the 10" holes. I have never stepped in a 10" hole. Of course I have a size 16 Ice King! crazy.gif

Now Im forced to use a 8" hole because my new Nilsmaster comes with a 8" and they dont make any bigger. I agree it possible to get just about any inland gamefish threw a 8" but for Lake Superior Lakers and at times eyes a 10" is needed. Plus I like the extra room for my ducer.

I have a 10" Jiffy and I LOVE having the extra room to bring larger fish in. Sure I could get away with a 8" hole or even a 6" hole at times, but the 10" just makes me more comfortable when landing bigger fish like pike. The only thing I have against the 10" augers is the extra weight and bulk of the thing. This is where an 8" would be nice.

Same here, I used an eight inch hand auger for years, went to buy a gas auger one day, and they only had 10 inch on hand. I bought one and have been happy ever since. I agree it is a big hole and can be dangerous, but it sure can be nice when sitting inside the fish house. (Funny, when I bought my eight inch auger years ago, people laughed at me for buying such a BIG auger)......

I personally use an 8 inch gas and 6 inch hand auger, and they are plenty big. My brother uses a 4 inch hand auger, and only one crappie has ever not come out of his hole; just to give you an idea of how fish will fit through smaller holes than you think. Personally, for panfish, if I didn't have to put the Markum line down, I'd use a 5 inch hole, because those big slabs can't turn around in the hole when they get off. In fact, sometimes they swim right out of the hole onto the ice for you!

Well, I guess I'm guilty of the 10" crime. Please lets look at this again. Is an 8" hole more dangerous than a 10" hole? Maybe. Could a child fit through a 10" hole? Chances are yes. You could break your ankle in either if you're not careful. I primarily fish laker waters. I use a ten inch hole not so much for the size of the fish but when a 10 pound laker is going gonzo two feet under the ice, it's nice to have the room for steering and fighting purposes. Now occasionally I'll drill a small systems of holes in my spot for moving tips or flashing around for targets. These posts will defintely keep me more aware of the possible hazards with larger holes. I cant believe someone would want them banned but to each his/her own. Toms orriginal post I took more as a heads up rather than slamming the ten'ers. So, I'll keep this in mind in the future. On another note, what in tarnation are people thinking leaving their child unsupervised on the ice.??? There's snow machines, wheelers, very sharp tools, and hooks galore. Not a good enviro for the wee ones. Watch your kids and your step folks.

I don't think anyone here is going to leave their child unsupervised on the ice. But you don't want to lean over every footstep your kid takes, either. If there is a thin crust of ice over the 10" hole and snow is blowing a little, the hole will be invisible.

So I guess I don't want to have even the possibility of me having any part of a child's drowning on my conscience. If you can live with the idea that it's all the parent's fault, then it's perfectly legal for you to bore 10 inchers, so go ahead.

It's like Grebe got at, some people will always have bigger guns/trucks/boats/houses/etc than they need, just because they can.

Maybe that's harsh, but I've got a little fishing buddy of my own.