• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gopher Nation

JBMasterAngler

The college football season is underway, or if I may borrow a line from the famous Andy Williams song, “it’s the most wonderful time of the year”! I was impressed with Annexstad. He definitely looked like a freshman, but I could see him get better as the game progressed. The aggies had an advantage in the fact they played their 1st game the previous week. We’ll see how much more he improves next, Fresno State will be an upgrade. Defense looked pretty good too. I never heard about what happened to that QB juco transfer from California...why did he leave?

Now that was a game that will give our young guys some experience! While Annexstad was down from last week, he made a few big plays that really make his future look brighter. Overall, the offense looked better with Green taking the snaps. While I still expect Annexstad to start next week, it will be interesting to see how they run the offense from now on. Minus the boneheaded roughing the passer penalty, our defense looked very good! Especially considering Fresno State scored 79 points last week. I think they had 9 rushing TD’s! Gophers held their run game to a minimum. I’ve been a gopher fan long enough to know better than to consider next week’s game a cake walk, BUT I feel really good about their chances.

While Fresno St. is better than most of our non-conference opponents, they still are not Big Ten caliber.  However good things can be taken from this win.  Receiving corps is an upgrade from years prior, defense is playing better,  and this young group of players are better than expected.

Pass defense is going to have to improve as well as our 3rd and 4th running backs will need to produce better than this.  Especially if Smith is out for anytime.

Annexstad is far better than I had expected fro a walk-on true freshman.  They guy throws ropes, fits balls into spots that look dangerous, but where only his recievers can catch them. I think he has a great deal of upside.  He will have his struggles for sure, but excited to see what he can do against better Big Ten defenses.

Playcalling needs to improve as well, shake my head a quite a few times over the last 2 weeks.

Hope they can keep me interested the rest of the year.

Defense is looking pretty good. Hopefully Annexstad’s injury isn’t too bad. I was glad they pulled him when they did. I was hoping Morgan would have given a better showing with his chance at meaningful minutes. Too bad Maryland lost today, makes a win over them next week less of a big deal.

Well...we obviously got the Maryland that beat Texas today, instead of the team that lost to Temple last week. Annexstad looked bad! He was clearly still affected by that injury from last week. His receivers didn’t exactly do him any favors either...several dropped passes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team with so many penalty yards still win a game, let alone a blow out win. Just ugly all around! Thank goodness it’s a bye week!

Well, my disappointment in the team has kept me quiet for the last couple weeks. Watching game day right now. Everyone, including Drew Bledsoe picked Nebraska to beat the gophers today. Nebraska is clearly better than their record, but come on! They CANNOT lose to an 0-6 team today!

Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck fired defensive coordinator Robb Smith on Sunday, one day after Minnesota allowed 55 points and nearly 650 yards in a blowout loss to Illinois. 

Meanwhile.........

Tracy Claeys is coaching the defense for a 1 loss team that is in the top 10 of the AP poll.

You can't make this stuff up.

As I have said many times. If the Minnesota athletics program doesn't want to get serious and put together a top notch football department they should just disband the whole thing and concentrate on something else because they have been an embarrassment for the majority of the past 40 years plus that I have been around to see them.   

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

As I have said many times. If the Minnesota athletics program doesn't want to get serious and put together a top notch football department they should just disband the whole thing and concentrate on something else because they have been an embarrassment for the majority of the past 40 years plus that I have been around to see them.   

He's_right_you_know.jpg

GOPHER NATION!!! The axe is now in Minnesota’s possession for the first time in the life of my kids! Needless to say, we celebrated quite a bit. Loved hearing gopher fans chanting SKI-U-MAH towards the end of the game. That was just about the most perfect game I’ve ever seen them play! Now we’re bowl eligible, which will greatly benefit the young team. This is the type of game that will increase attendance and improve recruiting! Good times!