• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gopher Nation

JBMasterAngler

10 minutes ago, Rick said:

Saban took over, in 2007, a struggling Mike Shula team that ended the 2005 season ranked 4th in the nation. 

Now this is really funny....I like your notion of Alabama's struggling at 10-2 and ranked 4th in the nation in 2005 and comparing the Gophers before Fleck took over as being the same as Alabama's Saban in 2007. ?

How about 2006?

Fleck took over a 9 win team the year before, Saban took over a 6 win team. 

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
4 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

You don't dislike the fact that he hired the wrong defensive coordinator in the first place?

I like an elite coach or soon to be one who fixes things.

Now Saban, did he have like 6 or 7 victories vacated from his 2007 record for cheating?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
10 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

How about 2006?

Fleck took over a 9 win team the year before, Saban took over a 6 win team. 

Fleck took over a team whose roster was depleted...as in awful. Saban took over a well stocked roster.

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Now Saban, did he have like 6 or 7 victories vacated from his 2007 record for cheating?

If I remember correctly that was left over from Shula's time. I believe all of the wins from the 10 win season you were talking about were also vacated.

Who cares what Alabama did 10 years ago! Or who inherited what from who! I routinely root against Alabama every game, but also acknowledge that Saban may very well be the best college football coach of all time! So to compare Fleck to Saban is quite silly. Right now, I’m just happy to say that he’s a good coach!

The coming of another college football season! This is truly the greatest time of the year! I’ve never been a fan of these Thursday night openers for the gophers, but at least they’re on national tv. I like Morgan as our starter. Hopefully Winfield stays healthy. I see them winning a less than pretty, yet comfortable game tonight. It’s going to be a fun season!

well you were somewhat right it was less then pretty. Looks like the team has some talent on it. The RB and WR will be fun to watch I was disappointed in the o-line the big guy  on the end is so big he can't move. SD's smaller d-linemen were stunting on him and he couldn't keep up. PJ got out coached in that game.

Holy cow! Did the gophers do everything they could to lose that game! I had to listen to the game on the radio because I don’t have cbs sports, so having to hear all the stupid penalties drove me extra crazy! A win is a win, but they sure have looked very underwhelming so far this season. Especially seeing some of the other teams in the conference absolutely dominate!

Much better showing yesterday. Aside from letting them crawl back a little in the fourth quarter, the defense was much better all around. Tanner Morgan’s 96% completion rate is all time big ten record. His 3rd down completion percentage is 2nd in the nation only to Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurtz. Looks like clear skies ahead.

Gophers just keep getting better and better! Last night had trap game written all  over it! I would have never imagined we would blow them out like that! It looked like Nebraska wanted to be anywhere else BUT on that field! Our 3 headed monster of a running game is healthy and looks unstoppable. We have an unofficial bye week against Rutgers next.

I was pleasantly surprised that the gophers jumped up to #17. I of course wasn’t expected Boise State to lose to BYU. I also assumed that the Michigan bias would have prevented them from dropping in the rankings. The most recent bowl projection I could find was a couple weeks old, but it had the gophers in the outback bowl against Auburn.

Based on schedule I don't think you can say much about the gophers  yet. They were gifted a win against an FCS team. Barely beat Fresno St  in OT.  Had a close game against Georgia southern at home?

I get it they beat who they had scheduled, its a great start credit to them.  But it doesn't move the needle for me. Go get a win against Penn St or Iowa and then I might start buying what Fleck is selling.

Although they haven't really played anyone great the last few games have been blowouts which shows you they can score and they can also stop teams from scoring.   Its only going to get tougher from here.  With Wisconsin losing to Illinois that gives me hope that they can beat them also.

17 hours ago, Duffman said:

Cripes..........enjoy it for what it is, the Gophs  haven't had a start like this in 60 years.

Are they a top tier team yet? Nope.

Maybe they will be in a few weeks?

And maybe they won't.

With them being in the top 25 and there track record the last 15 years I'm pretty excited with where they are at right now!

Team just keeps getting better with each game! Was nice to see gophers finally beat Maryland! Of all the times the gophers have a legitimate chance to attract college gameday, the #1 and #2 teams just so happen to be playing each other also. Fleck made a great point, Alabama and LSU literally get gameday EVERY year! Twice in most cases. Hopefully that’s something ESPN considers.