• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pet Peeves While Shopping

or person that brings everything to halt because the price was off. I am all for making people match prices, honor ads etc. But it drives me nuts that someone will wait several minutes for a manager to come void a transaction, and make the cashier have to re-ring everything back up to save them .30 cents. Or have to send another employee up to the front to grab said item and run all the way to back of the store to double check the price while everyone else waits.

Most time its the customers issue, grab wrong product or size. etc. I want to just tell them they are SOL or let me give you a quarter and a nickel and lets keep it moving.

Isn't your time, and everyone else behind you in line worth worth more than that?

If it was some significant $$$ thats one thing, but do do it over a couple pennies is mind boggling to me.

I try to avoid the stores after 9:00am. Im up every day by 3:00am so I do most of my shopping before anyone is awake but if I have to go later in the day I can't stand the people that walk down the middle of the isles like they are the walking dead, looking around like its the first time in the store and they have no ideal where anything is. 

2 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Then there's those accidents......:crazy:

2bdcd39dc3705a251a402a4238cf0fc3.jpg

was that you that you described in an earlier post!!!!!!!!!:lol::P

not to hijack the  thread, but coffee how'd ya fare with the blizzard of the centry out there!!!!!!!!!! 

Ya, I see it mainly at Walmart but it happens other places also.  Another thing is customers destroying displays.  I 've seen this as a worker and now still see it shopping.  They look for that perfect package [which is fine, it's their money being spent], but then put meat upside down, throw it around and more.   That picture reminded me of a lady who let her kids drive that cart around the store.  I was a meat manager at the time.  I watched the lady and the kids.  There was nothing wrong with the kids and she got around fine.  Kids got on and off and fought to take turns, and running around like they do all the time.  Finally I walked up to the lady [all carts were in use].  There was a elderly lady who was looking for one.  I asked the lady if she needed the cart personally.  She said no.  Then I asked her to tell her kids to get off so a elderly person could use it.  She got mad and told me that those carts are for everyone, didn't see any signs on them to say otherwise.  I told the courtesy kid to bring the lady up here.  When she came I told the kids to please get off in a firm tone.  They got off and I helped the elderly lady on.  The lady with the kids told me that she is going to talk to the store manager about this.  Never heard from the store manager.  Stuff like that burns me.  good luck.

7 minutes ago, smurfy said:

was that you that you described in an earlier post!!!!!!!!!:lol::P

not to hijack the  thread, but coffee how'd ya fare with the blizzard of the centry out there!!!!!!!!!! 

Not too bad we only had about 8" here. Lucky I guess 20 minutes to the east they were getting over 18"

3 hours ago, reinhard1 said:

Ya, I see it mainly at Walmart but it happens other places also.  Another thing is customers destroying displays.  I 've seen this as a worker and now still see it shopping.  They look for that perfect package [which is fine, it's their money being spent], but then put meat upside down, throw it around and more.   That picture reminded me of a lady who let her kids drive that cart around the store.  I was a meat manager at the time.  I watched the lady and the kids.  There was nothing wrong with the kids and she got around fine.  Kids got on and off and fought to take turns, and running around like they do all the time.  Finally I walked up to the lady [all carts were in use].  There was a elderly lady who was looking for one.  I asked the lady if she needed the cart personally.  She said no.  Then I asked her to tell her kids to get off so a elderly person could use it.  She got mad and told me that those carts are for everyone, didn't see any signs on them to say otherwise.  I told the courtesy kid to bring the lady up here.  When she came I told the kids to please get off in a firm tone.  They got off and I helped the elderly lady on.  The lady with the kids told me that she is going to talk to the store manager about this.  Never heard from the store manager.  Stuff like that burns me.  good luck.

That's what fries me. Someone with an owie that uses the scooters. They hop off at the checkout and walk out to their car at the end of the lot. They're for people that really need 'em physically. If I could still run, I'd love to nail a few of 'em with a drop tackle.Then they would need a scooter. But that wouldn't be nice so I just offer them my onion when possible. :grin:

when I accidentally wear a red shirt to Target and an old person asks me a question I always help them.  My daughter was with me once and I was wearing red and I took an older lady to find the cat food as though I worked there.  My daughter wasn't amused.  I thought I was being nice.

3 hours ago, Grumpster said:

Trying to catch a Home Depot clerk to find out where they keep the widgets.  They will duck, dodge, hide, and avoid eye contact in order to avoid answering questions.  

By the way, never wear an orange shirt when you go to Home Depot. 

This one hit pretty close to home.  I worked at Home Depot in high school, it was my first real job.  I was the kid out in the parking lot pushing carts and helping customer load their vehicles.  Of course I didn't know anything about the products or where to find them so I hated when customers would ask me.  If a customer asked a question that we couldn't answer we were supposed to go find someone who could so we had to go looking for a department person.  Believe me they are hard to find even for someone who works there.  After a few weeks of that nonsense I figured out a route through the store that would limit my exposure to customers that were likely to ask a question.  To get from the front to the back of the store your best bets were to stick to the outside aisles, cut through the cleaning supply aisle, or stick to areas where generally only contractors shop.  No one asks questions about windex, and contractors don't ask 16 year old kids questions about building materials.

I hated that job, I still avoid Home Depot as much as possible.

3 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

That's what fries me. Someone with an owie that uses the scooters. They hop off at the checkout and walk out to their car at the end of the lot. They're for people that really need 'em physically. If I could still run, I'd love to nail a few of 'em with a drop tackle.Then they would need a scooter. But that wouldn't be nice so I just offer them my onion when possible. :grin:

I'm always nervous if I use the handicap stall in the bathroom that I'm going to see someone under the door wheeling up to the door to find me in there.  I just like the space and elbow room that stall allows, heck sometimes it even has it's own sink!

5 minutes ago, leechlake said:

I'm always nervous if I use the handicap stall in the bathroom that I'm going to see someone under the door wheeling up to the door to find me in there.  I just like the space and elbow room that stall allows, heck sometimes it even has it's own sink!

Don't you know the #1 shopping rule, LL? Never poo-poo in a store!!! :lol: I remember a story we heard at roll call about a guy in a Target restroom.....he was packing heat, and had to go wee-wee. Took his piece off and hung it on that door hook...well, it fell off, hit the ground, and fired. Shot him in the shoulder. Got ticketed for reckless endangerment with a firearm on the way to the hospital.

Edited by RebelSS

1 that gets me is if you watch the majority of the people getting dropped off/picked up at the front door are the the ones that can/need to walk from from the farthest away spot in the lot. I'm convinced most of them are just waiting for the USPS to bring them their check at the 1st of the month & have never worked an honest day in their life.                 

35 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

And my wife wouldn't use her handicap tag from knee replacement after about the first month.  Didn't hurt too bad and she felt guilty.   Or won't park in the senior spot at shopko... "I don't need it"

37 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Don't forget that they pull their Handicap tag off their mirror when they jump in their SUV and drive away! :/

The rv sized carts where the parents can pay even less attention to their little disease carriers.

Our Cub obviously needs to restock shelves during the busy shopping periods. Unfortunately, they feel the best way to accomplish this is to clog up the aisle with an entire pallet vs loading up a cart with what they actually need. 

28 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Screaming kids that Mom will let howl at the top of their lungs and do nothing about it. :mad:

Ever try to get a screaming kid to quiet down?   I never figured out how.  And physical punishment will get Child Protection and the Cops all in your business. 

Del-  Since I've been father of the year 17 years running I do have tips on screaming kids.  Frankly, about a month ago Deb and I were shopping and I saw a kid getting upset/screaming a bit.  We agreed it's been years since we saw a screaming kid.  I bet it's actually that we don't let that one bug us so we don't notice it.  

1.  diversion.  I believe professionals call it something else like "redirecting".  Diversion seems more spy like.

2.  candy

3.  Santa Threat.  Hands down the best technique is the Santa Threat.  It only works on 3-9 year olds and only what used to be a 3 week window but it's expanded to about 6 weeks with the retail barage of Christmas.  It's such a good threat that I've had Jewish friends use it.

The last thing I've seen working is what I call the "tired mom technique".  It's that mom at the store with three kids that just looks like she's been beaten into submission by usually three little boys.  Dull look on her face with a long Winter coat on.  She quit caring what anyone in the store thought a long time ago and I believe she gives out some sort of hormone that get's absorbed by the kids and they just follow along to the checkout lane, not saying a word.

When you"re in a hurry and your wife can always manage some how to disappear in seconds and it seems like it takes forever to find her again. How she does it I'll never know. My first approach in the search is to pretend I'm deer hunting and try to find a good shooting lane ( where 2 long aisles intersect). After a lengthy period I then go to my last resort (this will happen after someone from the store asks if I'm finding everything OK) I call her on the Cell Phone.

What's a 20 minute stop will be an hour.:crazy:

13 hours ago, leechlake said:

I always have to use the bathroom when at Wally World.  We usually eat somewhere first when we go there so when it is time it is time.  I always check them out and use the cleanest looking one. I do like the big one too.  A guy can barely turn around in the small ones.

my wife is thrifty so it's hard to complain.  But...she could be buying 2 12 packs of diet coke and heading home and she buys a bottle of diet coke at the checkout lane for $1.89.  Target is 3 minutes from our house...