• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I dun went and built my own smoker!

Thanks all, for the kind words. You're all making my blush :blush:!

The one thing that helped me throughout the whole process is just keeping in-mind that a smoker is a very simple device and not to over-complicate it.  After doing a little research on home-builds, you can use anything from a fridge, to an old industrial electrical box, to a cardboard box.  As long as you steer clear of plastics and toxins like non-heat treated chrome or galvanized metal (even though I found quite a few out there made out of garbage cans)  - you can use pretty much anything.  Just need heat, smoke and convection--and whatever form that takes is up to you.  I don't consider myself handy, just a weekend warrior - like a lot of things, below the facade you'll find some pretty crude hack-work.  But I will say that I'm handier for having done it and I learned a lot along the way.  Highly recommend anyone thinking of it to give it a try.

love the name!! very cool! have fun. smoking is a blast.heres Puff the Majic Demon i built a few years back, use an old burner form the free list on the forum. Little tough to maintain constant temp. but sometimes, all I have to do is crak the door a bit. I hope to do some bear bacon this fall.

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

Well, the first meal out of Apocalypse Sow is IN THE BOOKS!!! All I can say is that I couldn't be happier.  It worked perfectly and the ribs were phenomenal.  Since it was my first run, I wasn't going for anything extravagant. It was more just to make sure it worked with actual food.  I just put a simple rub on a couple of racks of spare ribs and used Sweet Baby Rays to finish'em off.  My wife was raving that they were the best I've ever made and my finicky kids both had seconds.

My only thing I need to figure out is either a better way to load/re-load wood chips or find a way to make the chips in the pan on my element burn slower - maybe cover them some type of perforated cover that would limit the air exposure and make them smolder more.  Basically the smoke is heavy and done in about 1/2-hour after adding chips.  Would like a slower, steadier release.  Have to noodle on that for a while.

Here's a couple of pics:

20150823_135132_resized.thumb.jpg.90960b

Good smoke coming out of the stack - used straight Apple for this first run.

2015-08-23_18.34.40_resized.thumb.jpg.6f

Almost done... this was the "Mop phase"

2015-08-23_18.36.23_resized.thumb.jpg.76The finished product!  They were fantastic... can't wait to get into the dozens of recipes/different meats I have lined up.

That does look real good!!!  Your own smoker and a great meal from your work.  Cant get better than that.  If you want to get away from the store bought sauces check out my two sauces I make up on my page/blog.  In the Smokin Hot page.  www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com   One I call my Butcher sauce which is very simple and good and the other one I call Reinhard Caught A Buzz sauce.  I think you will like them.  good luck.

Edited by reinhard1

Thanks RH!

I'm no stranger to your page!  I've checked it out multiple times and many of my "to-do's" are coming form there. Especially been wanting to do Buckboard Bacon for a long time.  Keep up the good work on that page!  I've seen your sauce ideas as well and I'll be giving them a try, for sure!

I wnat some sauce reiny, do i have to make it or can you whip me up a batch and send it to me? ThunderLuund, how long did yu smoke em for, what was ur processe

Boar,

I gave the ribs a nice smear coating of yellow mustard, applied the rub and wrapped them in plastic wrap and let the sit on the counter for a couple of hours before cooking.  Gave the flavors a little time to meld and got the meat to room temp.  6 hours in the smoker using the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours exposed with intermittent smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, then the last hour exposed again where you add your sauce (if you want it). My smoking experience is relatively small, but when I would do ribs on a grill, I'd do this way as well and it's never failed me.  These were better than anything I had ever grilled.  It's a little harder to maintain a consistent temp with gas or charcoal.  Love my new toy!

Boar,

I gave the ribs a nice smear coating of yellow mustard, applied the rub and wrapped them in plastic wrap and let the sit on the counter for a couple of hours before cooking.  Gave the flavors a little time to meld and got the meat to room temp.  6 hours in the smoker using the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours exposed with intermittent smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, then the last hour exposed again where you add your sauce (if you want it). My smoking experience is relatively small, but when I would do ribs on a grill, I'd do this way as well and it's never failed me.  These were better than anything I had ever grilled.  It's a little harder to maintain a consistent temp with gas or charcoal.  Love my new toy!

Things are really looking good with the new smoker. I wonder if maybe it would be a good idea to try and seal the fiberglass insulation up with some sheet metal strips so you don't have that floating around in there every time you open and close the door? :(

2015-08-23_18.34.40_resized.jpg.5f2d677732cad7b4e7e3290cabac3127.jpg