• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flasher advice

jramsber

I am looking at getting my first flasher. Any input on brands, difference in features with various models, etc would be great. As far as price I am looking closer to the low end vs high. Any input on used vs new and places to look would also be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

okay staying with the low end to mid level units I would check out the following models.

Vexilar :

FL - 8SE this is a basic entry level flasher that is time tested(been around for 30+ years). it doesn't have a zoom feature. simple to operate.

FL-12 this is basically a flat screen version of the FL-8SE but the added benefit of this model is that it has a low power mode when fishing in shallow water. the FL-8SE would need the S-cable to change it to low power mode. down side of the flat screen is that it can be hard to see in bright sunlight if you fish outside of a fish house. in a house it is fine.

FL-18 this is the mid grade model. it's the same as a FL-8SE but it has the zoom feature where the unit will lock on the bottom 6 feet of the water column.

Vexilar does sell reconditioned units on their site and you can save some money by buying one of these. they do come with a one year guarantee so you are not buying it as is. they will fix or replace it in the first year if something is defective. I have bought one of these from them and had no problems with it.

Marcums :

LX1Pro or the LX3TC are the ones you would want to check out from this brand. the show downs are another model from Marcum that would be a option for you too.

Humminbird :

the ICE 35 would be the model to check out.

On the low end your probably looking at the Marcum VX1 Pro, HummingBird Ice 35 and Vexilar fl8. They all go around $300 new. With the Marcum you do get a case with it, not the others. Both the HB and Marcum have zoom, the Vexilar doesn't. The HB has a dual beam ducer and battery guage, the others don't.

I have a VX1 and had a HB35 as a backup for a bit last year. The zoom on the HB wasn't that good, it just made the display really big. I think with the HB you don't really need a zoom, as the display is big already. The zoom on the Marcum works better, but the regular display isn't quite as big as the HB. I like it better though as I think the separation is a bit better on the Marcum. Also the HB always seemed to have clutter around 2-3ft on the screen. I didn't like it as much in less than 10ft of water cause of this. In deeper water it wasn't an issue. I think the gain adjustment is best on the Marcum. The VX1 basicly has all the features of a Vex FL18, but costs the same as the FL8. The bigger screen on the HB is nice.

Fishing with buddies I know the FL-8 is definately louder. That can get old, but they must get use to it. Also in shallow water the gain is too strong if they dont have the s-cable. They never can make it so there jig is green, it is always red. I'm talkin less than 10ft or so. The Vex FL8 does have longevity on it's side as they have been around forever. Lots of people use them.

With any of them, you will definately improve your catch over fishing with out one. It will make your ice fishing a lot more fun! Good luck.

I am looking at getting my first flasher. Any input on brands, difference in features with various models, etc would be great. As far as price I am looking closer to the low end vs high. Any input on used vs new and places to look would also be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

I'd look at vexilar, for price And options I'd go with a used FL18. Then you'll have bottom zoom.

Your going to get a lot of different takes.

Here is what I found with vexilar.

1.Durable

2.Dependable....many call them bullet proof

3.Simple to use easy to set

4.Great customer service.

5.units hold resell value well.

6.handy accessories

7.No digital upgrades to add additional cost. (I find it Ironic that Marcum charged me for every showndown upgrade to get it to work the way it should have out of the box. Yet huminbird doesn't charge me for the upgrades for my boat sonar to work better.)

Best bang for the buck is the Marcum Vx 1 pretty much the same price as a fl 8 but had comparable features to a FL18. Nothing wrong with the vexilar at all solid units for sure. Still have a fl8 myself for others when they come fishing with me.

That said if you keep your eyes peeled a used Marcum lx 5 can often be found at a reasonable price. I still have my LX5 that I got in 2005 and runs as good as the day I got it.

I had a Humminbird 55 for 3 season loved the big display and digital depth read out and line the inline zoom. But didn't like that the zoom didn't do a great job of separating the targets but more just acted as a magnify glass.

FL8 se. my first one and stil have it and use after ten years got my daughter one last year. probably the only one Ill ever get. its basic without all the confusing features you wont use anyway.

FL8 se. my first one and stil have it and use after ten years got my daughter one last year. probably the only one Ill ever get. its basic without all the confusing features you wont use anyway.

Yep- these are truly the best durable flashers ever made...and quite good. They have no bells and whistles but they are made to do what you want them to do...locate fish and depth.

Depending on the types of waters you fish, you really cant go wrong with a FL 8 from Vexilar. It will be a huge up-grade no matter what. But if you like to fish like superior (like we do up here), almost HAVE to have a higher end model. For most cases an 8 will get you what you need, but bells n whistles are what they are, and you defin get what you pay for!

Good Luck man,

Jarrid

I'd recommend going with the Humminbird 45 or Marcum Showdown. If you're looking for a flasher that's easy to read and use, these are the ones. They are under $400 and both give you a digital depth as well as the usual flasher screen. The Showdown would be great for a beginner as it is a vertical scale as opposed to the round dial in other flashers. It reads more like a sonar off a boat, though it is in real time like a flasher. I myself use the Humminbird 45 because of its ease of use, digital depth, big and bright LCD screen and its target separation features.

My friends and I have a good variety of them but marcum seems to do better next to them when were in the house, I have the lx3 works great has since I got it when they first came out I would imagine you have used a flasher in the past to get an idea I would watch hsolist for a good used one

Anythings better then nothing but just cause you can marcum doesn't mean you can catch em

7.No digital upgrades to add additional cost. (I find it Ironic that Marcum charged me for every showndown upgrade to get it to work the way it should have out of the box. Yet huminbird doesn't charge me for the upgrades for my boat sonar to work better.)

if you paid for sw upgrades I have a bridge to sell ya.

Showdown is a charge to update. The new Marcum digital units are free via Marcums HSOforum for easy download. Best part of that is the unit you bought last year or 2 years ago can be updated to work as the newest units out there for free. With Vex you have to buy a whole new unit..m.

I have a FL18. I don't really have anything to add to the debate, other than if you're not desperate to get a new flasher right away you can get some pretty good deals before the ice fishing season completely comes to an end. I think I got my FL18 at Fleet Farm for about $300 toward the end of January - and I'm sure Marcum and Hummingbirds would be on sale too.

So if you think you can make it until then you can get more for your money and still have some time to use it this hard-water season. If you're not using a flasher now, any brand and model you get will be a huge upgrade to fishing "blind."

Showdown is a charge to update. The new Marcum digital units are free via Marcums HSOforum for easy download. Best part of that is the unit you bought last year or 2 years ago can be updated to work as the newest units out there for free. With Vex you have to buy a whole new unit..m.

So you can upgrade your LX7 to the new RT-9 Marcum unit.....Do you really believe that a company like marcum is going to come out with a product and let you upgrade for free to the latest and greatest unit that they've developed because you bought a unit from them 3years ago? I highly doubt it. Doesn't sound like anything in it for them. Look at computers in general after about 3-4 years they cant run the latest software do to computing power. Not only that they crash. I'd like to see how an LX-7 preformes after is 14+ years old.Not saying its a bad unit, but making a claim that your 3yr old unit is going to be upgraded to the latest and greatest without costing money is a pipe dream.

I really feel bad for anyone looking for solid honest advice here. Oh you can find it no doubt, but you really need a heavy filter to catch all the blue and red sludge. Just remember, it wasn’t very long ago that people were peeing all over each other about whether the LX3 or the FL18 was the BEST out there. These 2 flashers have not changed since then (if so, only updated to make better) and yet they were top of the line.

Think about that…

The only thing I will add is that addition of ANY flasher over none is leaps and bounds better than the jump from the least expensive flasher to most expensive and I would be very surprised if upgrading any model would help you catch more fish.

Its really like buying a vehicle, you don’t need any options to get you from A to B, yet some make the ride more fun. I didn’t catch more fish with it, but I sure did have fun with the FLX-28 last year.

So you can upgrade your LX7 to the new RT-9 Marcum unit.....Do you really believe that a company like marcum is going to come out with a product and let you upgrade for free to the latest and greatest unit that they've developed because you bought a unit from them 3years ago? I highly doubt it. Doesn't sound like anything in it for them. Look at computers in general after about 3-4 years they cant run the latest software do to computing power. Not only that they crash. I'd like to see how an LX-7 preformes after is 14+ years old.Not saying its a bad unit, but making a claim that your 3yr old unit is going to be upgraded to the latest and greatest without costing money is a pipe dream.

I wont speak for him, but I dont believe that is exactly what he meant. I believe he was referring to the latest SOFTWARE releases whish many times gives you new functionality. You cannot upgrade from an LX7 to an RT9, totally different platforms. But you can upgrade from and LX7 to an LX9 (for a fee).

I have a fl-18 and love it. problem free for 8+ years. Honestly dont know much about other brands but hear marcum is very good also. If you ever plan on fishing water that is deeper than 20ish feet, make sure you get a unit that can zoom in on the bottom. Makes it much easier to see those fish holding tight to the bottom.