• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mattress help needed

Stickjiggler

Got ours at OMF as well. Gotta love the big name brands that have only one usable side now.....oh yea they are made so good (probably China) there is no need to flip them any longer lol.

I heard the Tempurpedic's hold body heat which would be horrible for me. I wish I could get one with refrigeration built in. I wake up and flip my pillow constantly because of the heat.

we bought an all foam bed a couple months ago and so far love it. my wife at first didn't like it but now she loves it as we both wake up feeling great with no aches from the nights sleep. we went with a brand and I think their name was resonic?

Gotta love the big name brands that have only one usable side now.....oh yea they are made so good (probably China) there is no need to flip them any longer lol.

Actually Sealy is made at plants in the US including one local plant in St. Paul.

The Sleep Number brand is owned by Select Comfort which is based in Minneapolis and has plants in Utah and South Carolina.

Serta is another US company with most of their plants in the US, I think they may have a few in Canada though.

As far as the one sided mattress goes most companies developed a one sided mattress because the padding and material that you lay on needs to meet strict fire retardant guidelines. That made it quite expensive to pad both sides of the mattress so companies developed new technology to produce a single sided mattress that held up as well as a 2 sided. For the Original Mattress Factory to put padding on both sides but keep the price down I'd suspect they are cutting costs in another area, either in quality of springs or quality of padding (I don't know that for sure just a hunch). I believe they also use wood frames on their box springs where other companies tend to use more durable metal frames.

OMF uses their two sided mattresses as a big selling point to people who want to stick with the status quo. People are accustomed to the 2 sided mattress as that is all there ever use to be so they think its better. When in reality they are more or less equal.

Ugh,I know too much about mattresses.

so companies developed new technology to produce a single sided mattress that held up as well as a 2 sided.

OMF uses their two sided mattresses as a big selling point to people who want to stick with the status quo. People are accustomed to the 2 sided mattress as that is all there ever use to be so they think its better. When in reality they are more or less equal.

I have some ocean front property in Arizona for you nofish. What is this "new technology"? I have had a couple of the 1 sided mattress's and will never go back. I can tell you who is cutting costs....

And with so many mattresses being very thick and having puffy tops or pillow tops and all that, it doesn't seem very practical to have a flippable mattress built that way.

If you had the pillow top thing on both sides, wouldn't the bottom one get mashed?

Flipping the mattress is just about making sure the padding wears evenly. The bottom side being mashed down is mostly being mashed evenly so not really a problem.

Even with one sided mattresses they usually suggest you rotate the mattress every few months so that the head and foot of the bed are flipped.

Just bought a new queen size mattress and I spent hours at every store and on line and this is what I found. OMF plush queen was $629 for the matteress only (we have a platform bed no box spring)Hom had Serta I series beds that have MAP pricing so everyone has to sell it at there MSRP price and were more money $1099-1499. SL had Simmions $600-$1200 which is what we bought, the World Class series Firm but they had the Refresh line also that I think is the best bang for your dollor. Sears had the same beds as SL but there 4th of july sale ends 7/12 gave 20% off plus a extra 10% on the same bed at Sl was $697 plus 5% off if you used a sears card at sears and $879 at SL. That was the bed were going to get because it was half the world class but the wife at the last changed her mind and wanted the more $ bed, but the sales guy gave us a extra $100 off so the price was less then $300 more between the 2.

It comes down to what you want to spend and feel.

Anyone have a saatva mattress?

No, but I'd sure like to find a good one. I have a Tempur-pedic one right now too and hate it. Which sucks cuz it cost a small fortune.

I saw the Saatva web site...almost worth a try since they it looks like they have a 30 home trial that doesn't cost an arm and a leg if you don't like it.

I also some really bad reviews on it...

Anybody have experience on this Saatva brand??

In 1990 I broke my neck and back in a construction accident. I spent many, many years unable to sleep well, and pretty much every night I slept very shallow due to pain, and tossing and turning to temporarily alleviate pain.

Last year my wife and I finally took the plunge and bought a Sleepnumber bed with 8 inches of memory foam on top. It took a few weeks to get used to, but now I absolutely love it!

She prefers a softer bed which my body cannot handle. Her sleep number is 35. Mine is 85! I had it set lower, around 55 - 65 for a while, and that was a large reason why it took me so long to adjust to. They "find" your sleep number for you in the store, but it turned out my actual sleep number was much more firm then the salespeople suggested.

It was expensive. $4K+, but I figure after so many years of sleepless nights, and now being able to sleep all the way thru the night, and awake with minimal pain and discomfort, it was worth the investment.

The bed does, from time to time, retain my body heat, but I just peel back a layer, or stick one leg out for a bit, and it seems to reconcile the issue.

I was concerned that we'd made a mistake for about the first month of owning this bed. Now I'm very confident we made the right choice. Being able to adjust the firmness and support your mattress offers is HUGE!

I'm another believer in the Sleep Number bed. Our Original Mattress Factory was only 6 years old and had been giving us both tons of pain in the morning for the last 2. We took the plunge and spent way more than i ever would have on a mattress. The big selling point was that since the mattress is made of several "parts" if something wears out your not spending on an entire new mattress just the replacement part. My wife sleeps at a 35 and I'm at a 65, and there is a night and day difference between the two numbers. it took me about a monthto find my number. I fall asleep faster and wake more refreshed than i have in years.

Sleep number going on almost 10 years, will never go back to anything else. Particularly wonderful post operation when your body's sensitivity can change hourly or daily. I also have sleep apnea, use contour pillow & capo machine, all together provide amazing sleep. Always return home after traveling achy & tired craving the bed.

Sleep Number, eh?

Guess I'll have to do something. The wife and I both wake up in pain on the current Tempur-Pedic bed. Besides the dam thing is HOT!

For you guys using it, I've heard there is a "ridge" going down the middle which I'm not a "snuggler" so shouldn't matter but do any of you notice this as a problem?

How much am I realistically going to have to shuck out for a queen setup?

Have had our sleep number bed for over 10 years now and I never have any back pain now but did before with a regular mattress.We tried a Queen for 30 days and returned it for a KING.The king is worth the extra cost and you can really spread out and not even touch the wife. Only thing is I'm a 30 sleep number and she is a 65 sleep number. It feel like I'm climbing out of a hole when I decide to go over to her side. Great Bed. DrJ...

We've had our Sleep Number for about 8 yrs now with no problems. I think they did go through a period of poor quality 3 or 4 yrs ago - haven't heard anything good or bad lately.

I used to think I needed a really firm mattress to sleep well, but have found I actually prefer a little softer bed. That's the beauty of the Sleep Number beds - you can in effect try out many different beds to see what you like.