• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Views From the Stand '13

sticknstring

Twas the eve of opening day - better get a thread started to celebrate! Remember your cameras in the field this season and take lots of pics. I'll kick us off w/ a pic from opening evening last year - hope you don't get skunked like I did! smile Good luck to you all this season!

full-9397-36775-2012_09_1519.22.31.jpg

Yep good luck.

I will not be going out until the night time temps are in the 40's. Figure 2 more weeks minimum or more before I will hit the tree's in Mn and ND. I have the itch to go out but hate hunting in the warmer temps.

Will be no skunk here. I have been fortunate enough to have not had a skunk bow hunting for I have no idea how long.

Good morning. Saw a couple of does this morning but that was all. A good, short hunt and more of a scouting expedition on the way out on public land. Some views from the ground in my ghillie. First is what the deer would have seen from the faint trail on the edge of the ridge leading down to the water. Second is my view from the blowdown. Had the does right behind me for a little while and they ambled off. Was just putzing around on some public land to check it out.

full-25796-36809-ground1.jpg

full-25796-36812-ground2.jpg

First picture is looking left (East), the next is looking straight out from my stand (North), and the last is looking to the right (west). To my south it is really thick cover. Typically the deer travel by the left hand side of my stand or from right to left across the ridge.

Here's my best so far. Had her dead to rights at 31 yards broadside on opener. I was all drawn back and let her walk. If she wouldn't have had her spotted fawn with her, I would be eating venison tonight. This is my first year bow hunting for deer so I hope this makes the deer gods shine down on me!

deer1.jpg

deer2.jpg

full-43444-37645-bowzzz.jpg Was a bad day in the stand saw no deer, and found out I lost my quiver from the last time I was out frown luckily I had extra broadheads in my case. ( not that i got to use them today anyway )

On the other hand it was a beautiful day