• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickling Pike

Hello all, my brother in-law and I have been talking about this and I think I might give it a shot. I have read through the articles on here and watched YouTube videos on this. I am wondering if anyone can tell me an actual recipe for this though. I saw a post not too long ago on here and they had this video linked to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0S5oww48A0&feature=player_detailpage

A few questions about the whole process.

---What’s the difference between pickling and canning?

---Should this stay in the fridge at all times?

---Can you use smaller jars instead of that large one they do in the vid?

---How long will it last in the fridge/cupboard?

---How many pike would I need for this say I catch just some hammer handle ones? I would probably use the whole fillet with "Y-Bones" this first trial just too see....

---Any recipes to share????

All your information would be great! And thank you in advance I look forward to trying this. I just hope I like it too! Any thoughts of what it tastes like? I’ve read its nothing like haring (or I’m hoping it’s not)

I just made a batch with this guys recipe this week. ready to eat in a couple days.

Must refrigerate at all times!

Here is the recipe. I watched the vid and paused it to write it down. I wouldnt change a thing in it. Follow exactly what he does. About a dozen hammer handles does one batch.

Pickled fish

Use a 1 gallon jug

½ gallon fish chunks about 1” squares or so(use fish that’s been frozen at least 48 hrs due to some rare form of possible parasite. Freezing will kill it)

1 1/3 cup pickling/canning salt

Layer the fish in the jug and pour salt over each layer until gone

Fill jug with white vinegar with about 2-3 inches of vinegar over the top of the fish. Gently shake the jug.

Leave refrigerated for 5 full days. Gently shake/mix jug daily to ensure it stays mixed good.

Take fish and discard vinegar and salt mixture after initial 5 days of brining. Wash the fish off with cold water throuroghly.

Place fish in a bowl with cold water and fill with ice for one hour minimum.

While fish is chilling make the final brine mix.

8 cups white vinegar

7 cups white sugar

3-4 tablespoons of pickling spice

1/3 cup white zinfandel wine

Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes

Cool down brine mix in refrigerator until cold.

Slice up 2 large sweet onions.

Place layers of fish and onions in jug until full.

Pour the cold brine mix over the fish until filled.

Put in refrigerator for 3 full days.

EAT!!!!

In addition if wanted….

Add a few large jalapenos sliced(or your favorite pepper)

Add a few whole garlic cloves sliced in half.

hockey bc,

Thanks for taking the time to write it down. Also let me know what it tastes like im cuious! Other thing would be could you use smaller containers for that batch or just the large one and pick at it when you want too? Just wanted to give my brother in-law some along with grandpa as well....

MJB here are a few links to some really great recipes that have been posted before.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2782330/Pickled_Pike

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2712703/Pickled_Pike_anyone

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2412107/pickled_Norther#Post2412107

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/927768/pickled_northern

The bones turn soft after the sit in the vinegar solution and yes you can make smaller batches but it doesn't make sense to because they are like chips cant eat just pone and before you know it you'll wish you had made a bigger jar grin

yes you want to keep these refrigerated all the time, but again it will be no time and they will be gone.

I freeze the northern fillets for a few days in the deep freeze. That will kill any tapeworm eggs that might be there. You can also do it by getting the fillets up to a high temp but in my opinion that makes your pickled northern kind of mushy.

Quote:
Also let me know what it tastes like im cuious! Other thing would be could you use smaller containers for that batch or just the large one and pick at it when you want too? Just wanted to give my brother in-law some along with grandpa as well....

I cant even describe the taste other than its pickled... i dont know how else to say it.

No reason you cant put it in small containers at all. Make a big batch and divvy it up into containers to give away. Thats what I do.

Thanks guys for all your help. I look forward to trying this I haven’t been out in order to catch some but will follow up when I start the process. I will freeze my fish for at least 48 hours in advance!

Thanks again can’t wait to try it and I hope it’s as good as i think!

Anyone try the above recipe? It's been a few years for  pickling northerns for me ,this turned out good but really sweet  with all  the sugar. I put serranos in for a little spice but the sweet over powers it. Any thoughts?

20180607_190131_resized.jpg

I just finished a batch of this recipe last Friday. And I only use 6 cups of sugar

and one cup of thunderbird wine. I also brine it in pint jars. I make it at least once a year, usually in the winter with fish I catch ice fishing. I give most of it to friends and family, and everyone loves it. 

Bobberineyes, it’s a hassle, but you could dump you jars into a large bowl, remove some of the liquid, then replace with straight vinegar. Repack your jars.

Yes, that is when I usually make it, and for that reason. I didn’t get out much this winter so I caught some right after opener this spring, froze them and made it last week. This recipe really firms up the fish, so I don’t now if it would matter.

On 6/10/2018 at 6:58 PM, bobberineyes said:

Anyone try the above recipe? It's been a few years for  pickling northerns for me ,this turned out good but really sweet  with all  the sugar. I put serranos in for a little spice but the sweet over powers it. Any thoughts?

I agree, I can't stand it to sweet and only put in about a cup of sugar.  I want pickled fish not candied fish. :unsure:

This is the best recipe.  hands down.

Guests

Posted March 12, 2003

Here is a recipe I obained from some "old-timers". The only change I recommend is to first freeze the fish for 48-72 hours to destroy any fish tape worm larvae that may be present.
Pickled Pike

Prepare fish by filleting and cutting into bite sized pieces, it is OK to leave in the Y-bones as they will soften in the vinegar. Prepare a brine of 4 cups water to 1 cup pickling salt, cover fish with brine and let stand for 24 hours.

After standing, rinse fish with cold water, cover fish with white vinegar and let stand for 24 hours.

Drain fish, and place in containers with course chopped onion, (canning jars work well). Prepare pickling solution: 2 cups white vinegar, 4 bay leaves, 1 teaspoon pickling spice, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 1 ¾ cup white sugar, 5 whole cloves, 2 teaspoons whole mustard seed. Bring solution to a boil, allow to cool somewhat, pour over fish. Keep refrigerated, ready to serve in about 5-7 days.

18 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Just made a small batch of pickled northern 2 days ago with what I had in the freezer. Decided to do a few eggs while I was at it too.

20190909_190542.jpg

now why'd ya go ruin the fish with them eggs!!!!!!??:P