• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Christmas came early this year! (a longwinded recap of my season)

matchset

Yes! MATCHSET is alive! This season has been one of trial and learning; not to mention work has been crazy hectic.

Opening day began with a bang! SIX minutes into the season; I filled my first antlerless tag. The deer actually came right to the base of my tree and sniffed my bow tow rope! ZIP!! Rage two blade did the trick! Moments later, I had another doe, velvet six pointer and 5 other miscellaneous bucks come by my set up. I decided to pass up on a the biggest of the group; one and half hours later when they finally moved along I was not sure if I had made a smart decision. It was a nice buck to pass.2011-09-18074007-2.jpg

From that moment on, my season we down hill! Weather and work seemed to be throwing everything at me all at once! Fast forward to Halloween weekend, I needed to make a move and quick! The Rut was approaching and I needed to break out of my tunnel vision from opening day. I decided not to hunt on October 30th; instead I tipped into a few spots that I had not yet hunted yet. One BIG rub made up my mind for me! Opening day of Gun season, I found myself bowhunting by the big rub. A couple of small bucks, one doe and a sweet non-typical walked by my stand that day but nothing was in range. I moved the stand in the darkness that evening. Sit number two revealed two more bucks cruising, but still no shots.2011-10-06172500.jpg This area was tight, thick and the deer seemed to be dedicated to it. I moved the stand again that night but I was not able to hunt it again until the next Sunday.

November 13th… A Crisp, Calm, High Pressure day! 8:20 am I had a two antlerless come crunching and munching 30yds by me….ZIP! Rage two blade, and two hops later she expired right by my stand! Everything was still prime, and I was not meeting my dad at the truck till 1130am so I stayed put. 5 min later, I saw ZIGGG ZAGGGing shadows coming down the 40yd trail. I drew my Z7extreme and held steady! But luck wouldn’t let me get a buck just that easy…. He never walked thru my 40yd shooting lane; instead He caught the wind and made a B-line for the dead doe by my stand. He was rutting hard! I couldn’t hold my bow back any longer; I had to let down. The buck now has his nose buried, nudging, and pushing on that doe. Trying to get her to stand up, he tried to maneuver and breed her. I draw again. and Again. But he only is giving me a quartering-to shot. I let down for the third time; and my nerves were shaking!!! He Finally picks his head up; and steps broadside. I now come to full draw for the Fourth time. ZIP!

Heart shot. He stumbled 60 yds. i sent a text to my dad at 8:28am… BBD!

IMG_0790.jpg

5 5/8in bases

22 in beams

9inch G2’s

17 7/8 inside spread

IMG_0794.jpg

143 4/8ths total!

IMG_0800.jpg

here is the second half of my recap.....DECEMBER was all about scouting for me but i still managed to hunt in MN and WI. here are a few highlights to spice up this board!!!! .

Dads bowkill buck 2011-11-12114559.jpg

here are other random photos from the season, pics from the ground blind, scenery,bucks i wanted to stick and others that i passed....

IMG_1417.jpg

IM000011.jpg

CDY_0576.jpg

2011-11-06092402.jpg

IM000032.jpg

21862_1372502954165_1279525781_3-2.jpg

CDY_0026.jpg

IM000111.jpg