• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild boar hunting in Minnesota.

Skunked-Rookie

I was at our company Christmas party and this guy we work with every now and then started talking about how he hunts wild boar (an invasive species) up by pine city. Now in all my time out in the woods I have never seen or hear of such a thing. I didn't call B*11$*IT out on the guy, but I really wanted to. Before I call B*11$*IT on the guy, is there anyone here who hunts wild boar in Mn?

There is a farm by little falls where the guy offers up hunts but again ,like it was previously stated, they are all canned, high fence hunts and there aren't any wild populations in the state that offer up hunting opps(Thank goodness!). I went to the farm in little falls and bowhunted for hogs and it was a pretty fun day with a group of guys but nothing like an actual wild hunt like down south. I have hunted hogs in South Carolina and Florida and they are pretty wily critters to hunt. Most operations will place bait nearby to draw them into shooting range. Wild hogs are very destructive and a problem in most states because of all of the damage they cause to crops and the environment. Texas and many of the southern tier states are overrun with them and they are a game managers nightmare. Lets just pray that none ever escape and get loose in the state. The are prolific breeders and can have multiple litters of 6-8 piglets at a time adding to the problem exponentially. If the guy is hunting free range hogs in the state the DNR should be notified immediately to exterminate any possibility of them breeding and proliferating in the area.

Tunrevir~

yea hopefully they will never come to MN that would be horrible on a state that is run by agriculture hogs would go nuts, personally i would like to see the high fence operations shut down, hogs, deer, elk, exotics last thing we need is CWD and hogs running around in this state.

I know there was a feral pig population in Western MN roughly in the Wheaton area for a few years. They were most likely escaped domesticated hogs so I wouldnt call them "Wild Boar." I know a sheriff in that part of the state that was telling me about them. Some branch of the State Govt was working to eradicate them...next time I see him I will ask if they are gone now or not.

yea hopefully they will never come to MN that would be horrible on a state that is run by agriculture hogs would go nuts, personally i would like to see the high fence operations shut down, hogs, deer, elk, exotics last thing we need is CWD and hogs running around in this state.

+1

Its funny how stricked the DNR gets "AFTER" there is an invasive species in our great state (cause stopping it from even getting here wouldn't make sense)! I'm actually a little upset about reading this. Why would they even allow for them up here? Don't they hear from other states how bad of a problem they can be?

I'd be all for writing to the DNR and putting a stop to this and they may just hear my concerns (I'd have to do some research on this of course).

I dont think there is a bright side to this and this is just a wild thought. Maybe if some of the deer hunters that are compaining about deer numbers and not being able to fill their freezer with imature deer, had a freezer full of pork. How many little bucks would be passed on then? Im in no way saying that having hogs is a cure to the states deer herd problem. I know there are other solutions to that problem and we dont need another. Whats some thoughts on that?

Maybe up here it would give the wolves something else to eat. I bet hogs would be easier to catch then a deer.

The problem there is that Hogs would fight back where Deer would not, so the Wolves would have a little harder time running them down without a fight!

i would rather pay money out of state and travel then ever see them here. My gfs dad went someplace in wisconsin on a large game farm and hunted pigs, the guys that ran the farm said hogs destroy everything even killing fawns and eating them

let them come one more thing to hunt for IMO! sounds like a great thing for my smoker!

Be careful what you wish for!!! Wild hogs are very destructive, eating anything they can get their teeth on, eggs, birds, fawns, they'd root up a lot of good habitat. We had pigs when I grew up, they eventually had there 5 acre pasture blackened with all their rooting. Hard to believe that the DNR wouldn't put a stop to any game farms that have hogs in MN because its not a case of 'if' they'll escape its 'when' they eventually escape. Deer and elk farmers have proven they can't keep their animals in and wild pigs would be tougher to keep in a pen, they'd eventually root right thru it, especially as the fence aged.