• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild boar hunting in Minnesota.

Skunked-Rookie

Jan 15 2010.

Report to the Minnesota State Legislature

One case of pigs running at large was reported in Big Stone County Minnesota, where damage to native vegetation was documented. Several of these pigs were killed by deer hunters. These pigs were not Eurasian wild boars or hybrids, rather they were pot-bellied pigs. Damage to vegetation consistent with wild pig behavior has been reported in Goodhue County Minnesota, but no wild pigs were ever identified. Feral pigs populations have been identified in Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Iowa.

So far no wild pigs running at large

If and when they get into the MN river bottom or the MISS there will be a problem. A friend of mine lives in north Texas and says once they get into an area you can get rid of them, they're worse than mice and multiply just as fast.

As stated above there is a guy up near little falls area that supposedly does hog hunts, a coworker of mines buddy hunted up there he just called him to figure out the name of the guy who does it. Dont believe everything you read in the newspaper

As stated above there is a guy up near little falls area that supposedly does hog hunts, a coworker of mines buddy hunted up there he just called him to figure out the name of the guy who does it. Dont believe everything you read in the newspaper

I will guide you on a hog hunt in Ramsey, Anoka and Washington Counties for only $400 per day, ham sandwiches included.

Don't believe everything you read on the Net either.

There was a story on TV this morning (maybe The Morning Show, or Kare 11?), showing wild boar damage somewhere down south. The damage from the boars rooting for stuff like worms and acorns almost looked like back yards had been plowed. One homeowner spent $7,000 on a fence in an attempt to keep them out of her property.

There was a story on TV this morning (maybe The Morning Show, or Kare 11?), showing wild boar damage somewhere down south. The damage from the boars rooting for stuff like worms and acorns almost looked like back yards had been plowed. One homeowner spent $7,000 on a fence in an attempt to keep them out of her property.

Id spend about 1500$ on a new gone with a very large clip smile

heard back from my coworkers friend, he did do a hog hunt up near that area but that's all im gonna say

I have been to the game farm in northern mn many years ago we shot 8 pigs for 4 hunters using bows. It was ok but nothing like wild pigs down south. In the winter of 2009 3 of us went down to florida by Lake Okachoobee?? to a 30,000+ acre ranch where my nephew worked. The pigs were everywhere!! and yes they were 100% WILD no fences. There deer season ended around jan.4th we arrived days after and set up blinds on there deer feeders. We would have our bows a pistol and a shot gun or rifle with us in the blind, we all had our own spot and we would switch spots the next day. The first pigs to come in when the feeder would turn on we would use the bow you could get 1-2 before they cought on then maby 1 with the pistol, then you would grab the rifle and get 1-2 more after the first big group you would get a few singles and doubles coming thru. My nephew would pick us and the pigs up in the truck around 10 am. and we would head back to the ranch for lunch. We shot 74 pigs yes 74 in 4 days of hunting!! The pigs are considered a nucience and are shot on sight on the ranch. You cannot believe the dammage that a group of pigs can do in one night. Some spots it would look like the rancher took the chisel plow thru but it was the pigs. We were told they can have 3 litters per year!!! That is around 15 pigs from 1 sow per year and yes the rut is on 365 days a year 24/7!! We had up to 25 pigs come in at a time as soon as the feeder turned on. The pigs we shot were 50-150lbs with the biggest being 250lbs. In the afternoon we would jump in the truck and try to spot some pigs in shaded areas and we would do spot and stalk I thought this was alot more exciting than the blind. They are aggressive and when they feel in danger they will charge!! The ranch has a guy that is a full time trapper 5 days 40+ hours a week and all he does is live trap pigs. The ranch would sell the trapped pigs to a group of cubans every week. The trapper told us he traps on average 40-45 pigs a week!! They taste ok and are a blast to hunt but we do not want them in minn. Everybody that has there 1/2 and 1 acre food plots would go climb into there stand and when it got light out you would see your plot destroyed by pigs! along with the farmers crops. In florida they have to put 3 ft high fencing around any type of crop/food plot to keep the pigs out!! My nephew invited me and his dad to come down in febuary to hunt pigs again this year I cant wait.

I have been to the game farm in northern mn many years ago we shot 8 pigs for 4 hunters using bows. It was ok but nothing like wild pigs down south. In the winter of 2009 3 of us went down to florida by Lake Okachoobee?? to a 30,000+ acre ranch where my nephew worked. The pigs were everywhere!! and yes they were 100% WILD no fences. There deer season ended around jan.4th we arrived days after and set up blinds on there deer feeders. We would have our bows a pistol and a shot gun or rifle with us in the blind, we all had our own spot and we would switch spots the next day. The first pigs to come in when the feeder would turn on we would use the bow you could get 1-2 before they cought on then maby 1 with the pistol, then you would grab the rifle and get 1-2 more after the first big group you would get a few singles and doubles coming thru. My nephew would pick us and the pigs up in the truck around 10 am. and we would head back to the ranch for lunch. We shot 74 pigs yes 74 in 4 days of hunting!! The pigs are considered a nucience and are shot on sight on the ranch. You cannot believe the dammage that a group of pigs can do in one night. Some spots it would look like the rancher took the chisel plow thru but it was the pigs. We were told they can have 3 litters per year!!! That is around 15 pigs from 1 sow per year and yes the rut is on 365 days a year 24/7!! We had up to 25 pigs come in at a time as soon as the feeder turned on. The pigs we shot were 50-150lbs with the biggest being 250lbs. In the afternoon we would jump in the truck and try to spot some pigs in shaded areas and we would do spot and stalk I thought this was alot more exciting than the blind. They are aggressive and when they feel in danger they will charge!! The ranch has a guy that is a full time trapper 5 days 40+ hours a week and all he does is live trap pigs. The ranch would sell the trapped pigs to a group of cubans every week. The trapper told us he traps on average 40-45 pigs a week!! They taste ok and are a blast to hunt but we do not want them in minn. Everybody that has there 1/2 and 1 acre food plots would go climb into there stand and when it got light out you would see your plot destroyed by pigs! along with the farmers crops. In florida they have to put 3 ft high fencing around any type of crop/food plot to keep the pigs out!! My nephew invited me and his dad to come down in febuary to hunt pigs again this year I cant wait.

does your nephew still work there? my gf's parents own a place about hour hour and a half from there, plus my parent are going to stay down there for about 3 weeks coming up pretty soon.

I read somewhere that they are very adaptable and would probably grow more hair than an average pig in order to handle the elements. Also, back in the day when farms were small there were no heated hog sheds. They were treated the same as beef cattle are now and they survived. So yes, I think they could survive the winter pretty easily.

They could survive but they would have a more abbreviated reproductive season than they have in the south and they would be much easier to track and kill than they are in areas where they have vegetation 365 days a year. You can imagine with their short legs and thick bodies that they would have had a hard time getting through that powder snow we had back in December.