• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

too late to bow?

HandGunner

you guys think its too late for me to go out and bow? still have my unused archery tag... if i do go i plan to go to this 800 acre WMA near carlos avery. I have no idea were the food sources are and dont have enough time to figure out... let alone i dont even think i can access the parking because of the snowfall not sure if they cared to plow the snow there to get in its a bumpy dirt road that goes into the woods and it would suck to get stuck.

would just finding a trail and pursuing it be any good? should i even bother?

I want to find a good spot and build a snow cave ground blind and hunt out of that. My buddy heater would warm it up but I need to make it tall since I don't have a short ATA bow. I have 2 tags in my pocket and I'm half serious.....

All a person can do is put your boots on and give it a shot. If you do find a good beat down trail in these conditions, you know you're where the deer are.

I don't think I would just get on a trail and walk it though until I found deer. I would follow it to a good set up spot and wait there for the deer.

Some really like this kind of late season hunting since it is much easier to be confident in your spot choice.

Good luck!

If you still have the fire to go at this point in the season & still hunt hard & smart there are still deer to be killed. Be picky about your spot though. Not just a few tracks, you want a place that's getting hammered!

It's never too late! I have hunted a couple of new years eve's before, I never have much luck late season but one of these years I am going to find that late season spot that actually pays off. The above advice is solid, you need to find very hot sign and a lot of it to have a chance so get out and scout hard before hunting, good luck.

Agree Bear55, Sunday AM connected, 8:00AM, -8 wake up weather, 30 below wind chill and deer were moving, 1 less mature buck is moving now, the old TC black mountain magnum got it's 3rd notch, they are in a food pattern, the 6 does and fawns didn't care about the big buck in their midst, fewer and fewer people are out there now and the deer are not quite so concerned about us or being nocturnal, they still are but your chances I think are improving, easy to find fresh track and sign, still not easy to find what mature bucks survived rifle and muzzy, give it the first hour last hour deal and assess what is seen or not, you won't freeze that way either and you'll be there for the like prime time walleye run so to speak.

I agree, it's not too late. It's been a few years since I've bow hunted but the last time I did it was a couple years ago. I went out between Xmas and New Year, as I usually take that week off. I was on public. It was cold, probably single digits or low teens. I got down from my stand about noon so that I could walk around and warm up a bit. Came back to my stand about 45 minutes later and wouldn't you know, fresh tracks in the snow 15 yards in front of my stand mad It would have been a perfect broadside shot IF I had been in my stand.

I was up around the stanfield area yesterday, lot of corn left standing if i was looking for a place to hunt i would pound on a couple of doors up that way. With most of the people not even thinking deer now and the damage they will do to corn the rest of the year, one probaly get on a few places. Especially if you just are looking to fill a tag and not kill someones pet B.C. buck.

I think the snowshoes first mentioned are the ones you attach to your feet to help you navigate this deep snow.

haha yea i think so too lol im just im hipe because im not sure if anything is out there still moving around.

frands want to go out small gaming and some want to go out bow hunting for deer.

Yep, I'm headed out tonight- the weather looks good. I'm hoping for a fat doe to stumble by at this point...

I'll get out at least twice next week too (I hope). I've still got a tag in MN and a tag in ND, so even if I get lucky enough to fill one, I'll still be in the woods a few more times.

Good luck to all who are still enjoying the archery season! IMO, this is the best time of year to bowhunt! It's not only the a great time to kill a monster buck, it's a great time to not see another soul. Both of those things really appeal to me!

Considering going on Sunday. If I just could scout the spot again quickly without all the time to go down there, most of my spots are pretty dead this time of year. Hard to give up a peak fishing time for a hunt where I might see a deer & don't really need one very bad.

Love December bow hunting. I hunt a funnel area. Connects a brushy swamp to hardwoods. Picked and plowed under beans on one side and a hayfield on the other. Makes about a 50 yard wide funnel. Let it calm down after gun season and hunted it about a week and a half ago and they had a path beat down to the ground. I had 11 deer walk in single file one after another. Not to many trees in the funnel and don't have permission to hunt the hardwoods. So with all those eyes I got busted. I'll be back out the a couple more times before the 31st. I aked the wife for a ground blind for Christmas.

I was out this morning, saw 9. Had a nice buck coming in , my heart was racin, then I noticed it was missing one side. Saw one about 2 weeks ago that dropped both.I've been seein this small fork,I'm takin tomorrow if it gives me another chance. I can't wait til morning. Good luck to all, and to all a good luck!