• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

Well I was out setting up a ground blind last evening and happened upon this shed Looked at it thought I might have a match to it at home so after sorting through all my sheds I found its match which was from 6 years ago!!! I also found one other one while there so I am up to 2 for the year and they havent even dropped yet!!!

1353291507037.jpg

1353291486237.jpg

I don't understand. You found the second half of a match to a set that you found the first shed from 6 years ago? Does that mean the missing shed was laying on the forest floor for 6 years? Is that possible?

Isn't it possible that another deer just had a very similar rack? I'm no expert, by any means, but they really aren't THAT different from deer to deer.

I don't understand. You found the second half of a match to a set that you found the first shed from 6 years ago? Does that mean the missing shed was laying on the forest floor for 6 years? Is that possible?

Isn't it possible that another deer just had a very similar rack? I'm no expert, by any means, but they really aren't THAT different from deer to deer.

They are as different as you and I!!! I found a buck dead in 2001... last year I found its left antler from 2000. i couldn't believe it!

Wow! I had no idea they could, or would last that long just out in the open. Seems like, no matter where they were outside, some critter would find them and start chewing on em'.

Very cool. I'm gonna have to start looking for antlers. Seems like anything with horns gets killed almost right away in our neck of the woods. Think I'd be pretty lucky to find anything up here in NW Minnesota.

Very COOL!! I would imagine that a lot of hunters come across sheds from the year before and prior. WHen i was younger there was a swamp we would drive out and it seemed every year somebody would walk out with a shed. Only makes me wonder how many were there in feb/march. I still think I need to check out that area some winter.

I found an elk antler in a slough bottom in central mn. There hasn't been elk here since the late 1800's. They think its from that time.... I guess how would you know. Its in pretty bad shape.

between Brainerd and Little Falls a bull elk got loose from a game farm in the 70's. it ran around for about 2 years.

The elk shed could've been really, really old.

I never saw it, but I'd heard someone found an ancient (giant) elk antler in the Wild Rice river just west of Twin Valley, MN.

It was massive, and basically petrified. They figured, again from what I'm told, that it may have been hundreds, or perhaps even thousands of years old.

I always watch the river banks for unearthed bones, and stuff, whenever fishing or floating an old river. Can't wait to find my first Dinosaur!!! laugh

full-8800-27004-p1090405.jpg

Mr. Boyd's first shed at one year old. Brought tears to my eye's. These pics are from last March. He is a good 10 lbs. bigger now. Great dog indeed. grin

full-8800-27005-p1090411.jpg

full-8800-27006-p1090416.jpg

Boyd with his first two sheds ever. All we found this year. Break time after a day's work.

full-8800-27007-p1090420.jpg

Boyd's opinion of finding leg bones instead of Antlers. These were under the grass he is standing in. I called him and he wouldn't come. Went on over and he was proud so we staged a pic. for him. You should reward them as if they found you a shed when they get other bones. Boyd likes venison chunks for reward.