• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

Five for me this past Saturday. I might be able to save this season yet. We will see. 19 so far definitely way down from years past , but Im optimistic. Only have a couPle more weekends to walk just because of my schedule but I'm gonna try to pad the stats

I have to ask, Is this the time of year you guys would normally start looking? I have done it a couple years with a few finds and often wonder if I am just getting out to late and the varmits are getting them first. The few I have found are nice and it is private property I hunt on.

I do my searching in the Redwing area.

Have the lab to work with me this year so we are heading down Saturday for a day in the woods. Looking forward to it. Thanks for your time and any tips you may have to help me out.

I have a buddy in north Dakota. He's been haulin em in for a while now. Triple digits already. In fact he got 74 in 2 days!! And in response to when to start looking. In your case, being on private land, I'd say now is perfect. Maybe a week or so late but your definitely not too late. I'm a public land shedder , so I have to start in December every year. By this time, the public that I walk is completely wiped out. Good luck!

Well the first trip with my Lab went good in my opinion anyway. We got started around 9:30 and ended at 4:00. Boyd spent the first half hour barfing up cat food he woofed down back at the farm. Not my choice of course so I was a little disappointed he had a belly full of food. Or at least he did. Once he got back to 100% we were able to move on. I was told you want the dog to be a little hungry while your out so they search harder knowing a treat will be the reward. Around 11:00 Boyd returned to me with his first antler of what I hope to be a long shed hunting career with him. A nice 4 point shed in great shape. It was a special moment for me indeed. We then came upon another shed around 2:00 in the afternoon that I spotted first. I was a little disappointed in the time it took for him to locate this shed. I left it there for him to find and it was a good half hour before he finally located it. Another 4 point shed but the squires had a little time with this one. Ate the brow tine off and worked it good in a few other spots. The training was priceless though and I hope it pays off more in the future. The last couple hours I could tell Boyd was getting tired but he would stick with it as long as I just kept telling him to get the bone.

We then moved on to only find a couple of deer leg bones that were laying together. We left those behind but he was rewarded just as if he located an antler. In his mind it is just a bone he is after for the most part.

For his first trip out on an actual shed hunt I have to say I was impressed with how Boyd did. Looking forward to getting back out there next weekend for sure.

I am trying to get pics on here but am not sure how yet. I will try again in the near future.

Ive been off the site since last december. I expected to see more sheds on here. In 18 years of shed hunting, this was the toughest year Ive ever had. Very tough when the deer dont yard up. Should be good for the herd though. Congrats Tonka on your big set! Thats a career maker there!!

Slow day out with the pooch yesterday. frown Spent six hours out with no sheds to see. Boyd did manage to bring me a couple other bones and searched hard. smile It was encouraging to watch him do what he is being trained for. Rained allot in the afternoon and the ticks crazy are in full force down in the Redwing area.

Kind of a bummer we didn't find anymore but a good day out none the less. I don't know if I get down there to late or if the bucks just don't hang out there too much when there shedding. Started three years ago and have 2 the first year,nothing last year and then the two Boyd and I got last weekend. I have a couple other sheds from down there that I just stumbled upon while bow hunting too. wink