• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

Mr. Boyd looks just like our Bones. Is there a chance I might still be able to train Bones to hunter antler? He's now 10 months old, but he's smart, and his nose never stops!

Cool pic LDF!

I'm thinkin' if I gave Bones one of my rattlin' antlers for chewin' on, then hid the other from time to time in the woods next to our place? Help him find it if he can't initially. Praise the dickins' out of him when he does.

Do I still have a chance?

Slimngrizzly is right on. Thanks Slimn for the kind words back on the photo contest thread. Very fine pics you have their as well and congrats on your success.

From what I understand and it is only what I have heard and read. It can be a little tougher to get them searching out antlers if they have been trained to hunt bird. Just a matter of them not being distracted in the field if something were to flush in front of them. I would guess that could be the issue there.

Boil them antlers,use rubber gloves when handling them,add rack wax to the burr,hide them from your buddy,let him have a whiff of that rack wax,give him the command (get the bone) and the goal is of course to have him do just that. Start in small area's and make it bigger as they develop. Make that bone there most favorite thing by limiting their time with them. Bones mean meat treats and praise.

As you stated, give them much praise for success. I give Boyd either cold cut chicken or venison for reward as well. He only gets meat treats when training. Better to train them a little hungry as well. At least for Boyd it is. Works harder for that treat. I will work him before it's meal time.

Good luck with it. You should give it a shot anyway. Even though we only got two last year it will always be the best memory from my shed hunting day's watching Boyd bring that first shed for him and the first for me to have one retrieved. Priceless stuff there is all I can say.

Go to a site I believe is called Antler ridge or something of that nature. They train dogs just for this and the price you pay for a fully trained shed hunter will knock your sox off.

Why pay the money when it's more rewarding being a rookie and watching it come together between you and your best friend. wink

Our dog was 2 and a half when I started working with her. She's loves finding them. Bringing them back? Not so much smile

Mr. Boyd looks just like our Bones. Is there a chance I might still be able to train Bones to hunter antler? He's now 10 months old, but he's smart, and his nose never stops!

Won't be too long for some sheds to appear, I'm stuck in nutrition central and have to wait until March. I do plan to shed hunt a new area after the new year weather/snow pending where they do shed much sooner, can't wait to give it a go. Time to deploy my winter t-cams in the hot spots and they'll tell me when the time is right. It's also a prime scout job for next season, hope there's a batch of 2.5's or older on there.

I know I posted these on this thread back in 2010 when I picked up the 9 point side, but thought I'd post them again...I found the 9 point side, then on the way home, saw a sign with an arrow indicating a shed hunters banquet going on a short distance from my place in Houston, MN. I decided to turn that direction and check it out...Shortly after walking in the door I was the 2nd to the last person to buy a chance on a raffle for a Mathews Drenalin Bow...before I found a seat in the packed house, I heard my name called off to win that bow! Biggest antler I've ever found, and the most expensive thing I've ever won, all in the same day!

full-16801-27210-matchedset.jpg

Matchset, I dont know about that lol... I actually have been getting up to Duluth quite a bit because my gf is from there. I thought you said you were from there. I havent really scouted anything though. Still metro stuff for this guy. jkcmj, Thats some nice luck to have!

We never found anything from his since...likely was car killed or hunter killed the following season. I have permission to shed hunt it, not hunt the area, so never had out cams or was around to see him.

We used to shed hunt on Christmas day, it's early, but they may cast them anytime! Cool pic

If I'm hunting on Christmas Day I'll be carrying my bow or possibly a shotgun grouse hunting. I'm not looking for sheds when I can still shoot something.

I hope he don't get tagged as a doe by a bow hunter, there's our proof not to move rifle season back which pushes muzzy season back and it's March for me, I guess Valentine's day I could try to shed hunt but the majority in my area drop after that, bigger bucks shed first usually is that correct ? That's real cool hightower, what part of the state ? I am going to try a new area this winter where they shed much sooner.Just need a good crust on this snow so they can't fall thru.