• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Home Made Anchors?

wooduck26

I have been very lucky when it comes to anchors. I havent lost 1 on the river yet I have lost one in the rocks on Mille Lacs years ago and 1 did come untied several years ago but I havent lost 1 in the river. I have come close several times to thinking that I will cutting the rope but have always managed to get it out and one time I think half the tree came with it wink that was the anchor that came untied in a lake. it was one of those didnt check my gear stuff that LFC is talking about. Takes a little bit of time to do preventive maintance and it can save you a monster headace in the end...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many anchors are down on the bottom? 1000's?

I have snagged an anchor line with a hook (or maybe my anchor, cant remember), but anyways, the darn anchor that I pulled up must have come off of a 50 ft boat. The thing filled the entire bow of our 20ft fiberglass boat. Sat in the garage for years until a buddy asked to borrow it. First time he used it (on a 42 ft boat) a storm blew in, tossed them around and snapped the rope (brand new). Guess that anchor really wanted it freedom.

I have had a couple go mia. Not so much from logs but rocks.

In the Mississippi river in low water I found a couple and they were really lodged in the rocks hard.

Being tied off would be ideal if its possible. In the stretch of the sippi I fish there isn't much to tie off to but on the Minnesota I could see that being the way to go.

For home made anchors we use the concrete and rebar setup a couple of guys have mentioned. A bit of heavy chain helps a lot too.

So you anchor losers out there - If this happens in a spot that you plan on returning to, do you tie off the rope on an old bleach jug (Or similar) so that you can re-use it when you come back, or are you more inclined to cut it off below the water line so as to keep your spot secret?

So you anchor losers out there - If this happens in a spot that you plan on returning to, do you tie off the rope on an old bleach jug (Or similar) so that you can re-use it when you come back, or are you more inclined to cut it off below the water line so as to keep your spot secret?

Why would you tie it off to an old bleach jug??? Whats good today probably will not be as good tomorrow....(as far as tying off, that would work in a lake but not the river) If its in the shallows... you get your butt out of the boat and dive for it, if you want it that bad... If its deep.... kiss it goodbye and remember the spot.

The jugs you might be seeing on the river are people trying to help out marking a deadhead or some other marker.... my courtesy.. if I left jugs on the river would be to leave them alone....

Shoot... Rushing help me out here.... didn't I pick one up and toss out only to realize that this anchor wasn't tied to the line.... Oppps.

Ya, that was some cartoon three stooges type shizz right there! laugh Good Times

Originally Posted By: LFC

Shoot... Rushing help me out here.... didn't I pick one up and toss out only to realize that this anchor wasn't tied to the line.... Oppps.

Ya, that was some cartoon three stooges type shizz right there! laugh Good Times

yep... that was one for the movies alright... crazy

I have a homemade version of the Richter anchors out of a 6"x10" semi exhaust adapter and a few pieces 1/2" rods, cement and lead. I call her Big Bertha and she weighs in at a hefty 34lbs. Being the "Anchor B" in my boat is not for the weak. She has never broken loose from anywhere/conditions and has always made it back to the boat. "knock on wood"

If someone wants to post pix for me I'll email them to you.

Why would you tie it off to an old bleach jug??? Whats good today probably will not be as good tomorrow....(as far as tying off, that would work in a lake but not the river) If its in the shallows... you get your butt out of the boat and dive for it, if you want it that bad... If its deep.... kiss it goodbye and remember the spot.

The jugs you might be seeing on the river are people trying to help out marking a deadhead or some other marker.... my courtesy.. if I left jugs on the river would be to leave them alone....

LFC, I was thinking of those mooring buoys like you see on the Mpls lakes that people tie off their sailboats to. The thought occurred to me that in the case where it is lost on a spot that you intend to return to and the anchor is irretrievable you could somehow leave the rope available so that you could tie off to it and re-use the stuck anchor as a mooring point.

I didn't think it was that odd of an idea... confused

I guess the monkeys got a point wink

Some years back I read a artical about a couple of guys that fished the Croix for cats and the would set their anchor and tie a brightly colored blech jug rope. When they would get a monster cat on the guy not fighting the fish would untie the rope and throw it in then they could follow the cat around with the boat until it was tired out then land it. Mind you this is back in the day when the gear wasnt like it is today and they onlywere useing I belive a small 12 ft boat. they said it was faster to untie and drop the anchor rope than to pull it it up also it was a great wy to mark their spot upon their return.

Surreal... don't take offense, none was meant, just posting my position on the matter.

On a not so traveled lake i might agree. On the rivers... it would look like litter really quick.... I've lost 6 anchors over the years... i know others have had similar averages.

I get out on the MN to enjoy nature, and do my part to try and keep it clean, bouys getting dragged around or pulled under seems like the potential for trouble with an unseen rope getting wrapped in your prop.

Just my two cents.