• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Home Made Anchors?

wooduck26

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made and modified many anchors. If you spend alot of time on the river your going to loose them. I average at least 1 MIA per year and then some.

Just keep your eye open for heavy materials. If know someone that welds or access to a torch that opens up a lot of options..

Have a scale to check weight its easy to overload.

Engine blocks and chain.....anyone who catfishes has extra engine blocks laying around in the front yard...

the only engineblocks I have are out of supercrews laugh

I will be starting to make a few myself I just havent had the time to get started.

anchors as LFC said are easy to over weight and you dont always need the weight to hold the boat. You ned just enough weight to get it to the bottom and the rest is grab power of course current dictates how much weight you will need so with that said you need to find a happy medium that works in most all situations.

I have never lost an anchor in the river, have been very close to it a few times but the river hasnt claimed one from me yet. It'll happen now that I said that. grin

Last year I lost one of my favorite anchors out of my boat but not sure where it went thought one of my kids took it for the lake boat but they didnt so the only thing I can think of is I didnt stow it properly at the end of a river fishing trip and it bounced out of the boat on the way home. confused It was a 25lb river anchor.

here is what i do, no pics as i lost my last one last year and didnt make another this winter.

ONE coffee can

TWO 1/2 inch rebar cut to 18 inches each

ONE 12 inch i bolt

drill four holes 1/2 inch holes in bottom of the side of the can an intersecting pattern insert the rebar thru in an x pattern

fill with concrete (i do it for a living so its free to me sac-crete will work fine too.

insert the i bolt into top center let harden

attach rope and go

I've made and modified many anchors. If you spend alot of time on the river your going to loose them. I average at least 1 MIA per year and then some.

Just keep your eye open for heavy materials. If know someone that welds or access to a torch that opens up a lot of options..

Have a scale to check weight its easy to overload.

You didn't really mean that last part, did you Larry? I thought you just lifted your anchor on weekends to keep up the beach body grin

I've made them using a small traffic cone. Put a short length of chain through the top hole and turn it over in a bucket of sand...add concrete. It pops right out and you can add alot or a little concrete depending on what you want. You can use re-bar across the bottom but I never did.

There was a guy at the Sportsman show that made an anchor out of about 4-5 peices of very heavy chain all about 10" long right on the end of his anchor rope with a big metal ring he uses for float fishing rivers for Trout out west. Looked like a good non-snaging idea? wink