• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

KQ Morning Show w/out Tommy B.

titelines

Anyone else listen the the KQ Morning Show?

I'm a long time listener and, while I love the show; I've gotta say that this week has been pretty refreshing. Tom's out on vacation and Jeff Passolt has been filling in as the "leader". The whole cast seems more relaxed, are having fun with each other and overall just seem to be enjoying themselves more and not worrying about getting yelled at constantly.

Maybe Tom's act has worn thin with them...It has with me the last few months. He's constantly cutting on the other members, pointing out every misstep they make, throwing them under the bus with the guests etc. On top of that, it seems that the amount of 5th grade humor has diminished greatly without him (it's still there, just not as much).

I was a bit sad when he threatened to leave the show in a couple years, but now I kinda wish he would. The others are more than capable of carrying on without him and Passolt would be a great replacement.

Anyone agree??

It has a different feel, that's for sure. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Passolt does an ok job, but he doesn't have the personality or voice of the "main guy" on a radio show.

Tom can be abrasive, opinionated and rude to everyone involved with the show. But at the same time, I still find him very entertaining.

I'm on the fence

Maybe Tom's act has worn thin with them...It has with me the last few months. He's constantly cutting on the other members, pointing out every misstep they make, throwing them under the bus with the guests etc. On top of that, it seems that the amount of 5th grade humor has diminished greatly without him (it's still there, just not as much).

That bums act was the same 10 years ago back when I lived in the cities and was forced to listen to it at the job I worked. I think his act was wearing thin on them back then. Can't imagine how they feel about him after all these years...

After being away from the cities all these years I was surprised to find out he's still on the air and even more surprised people still listen to him. smirk

Gotta disagree. You can tell that Tom is a perfectionist and his show runs as smooth as silk when he is at the helm. The show is always a train wreck when he is gone (including this week). I have a hard time listening to anyone else do the show.

Passolt has done the best job of filling in lately, but TB has some VERY big shoes to fill.

Like him or not, there is a reason KQ has been tops in the nation for a long time. Things are running well but there is a difference without him. Remember, Stern tried to run him out of town and it didn't work. When TB retires in a few years the whole morning show will change let alone the market competetion.

I'm with you Brule. Twenty years ago I quit listening to him. Unfortunately some people on the jobs I work on get their radios on before I could get mine on. So I had to listen to his garbage. Couldn't even get a break on Saturday mornings. Guess if I'm going to listen to someone talk, I'd rather listen to news and weather. Just play the dang music.

I'm with you Brule. Twenty years ago I quit listening to him. Unfortunately some people on the jobs I work on get their radios on before I could get mine on. So I had to listen to his garbage. Couldn't even get a break on Saturday mornings. Guess if I'm going to listen to someone talk, I'd rather listen to news and weather. Just play the dang music.

The music is the worst! Don't get me wrong, I love classic rock, but don't you get tired of hearing the same 5-6 rolling stones songs year after year? Come on, the Stones have hundreds of songs that I would love to hear...If I have to hear Satisfaction again I might shoot my radio!

How about adding some variety to the music and actually play a deep track...I love the morning show, but can't stand 90% of the music they play because I've heard it all 100,000 times already.

sorry for the rant...a bit off topic, but I had to say it. thanks

I was a long-time listener but switched over to 93x about five years ago, not long after coming back from the KQ in Vegas show (which was a blast). Bernard has an amazing radio voice and his presence on the air is undeniable. Those qualities make it hard to turn off the radio, like a northern looking at a shiny flash twist through the water.

I eventually grew tired of his humor and to be honest, the semi-racist tone of his show. It's unfortunately still a big part of the culture in this part of the country (I bet you could count on your fingers the number of hours or days it's been since you last heard a black joke). He capitalizes on that and I personally don't think that it's cool so I switched and found that I laugh much more when listening to other shows.

To each their own. I hope that he does move on, but then again, Kool108 and JackFM are playing the same music as KQ so 92.5 is certainly not the only classic rock outfit in town. They may need to hold onto TB as long as they can before their target audience is all gone.

The music is the worst! Don't get me wrong, I love classic rock, but don't you get tired of hearing the same 5-6 rolling stones songs year after year? Come on, the Stones have hundreds of songs that I would love to hear...If I have to hear Satisfaction again I might shoot my radio!

i think that's a problem with radio in general. Personally I would like to hear the same RS songs over and over than the Collective Soul's - Shine that the seem to play twice a day. My buddy said he heard Smash Mouth on there the other day... How is that classic rock?

back on topic though, i have enjoyed the break from TB and think passolt does a good job. the bit with kevin nealon this morning was funny. i've got problems with the show, but it's still the best thing on the radio at the time.

I eventually grew tired of his humor and to be honest, the semi-racist tone of his show. It's unfortunately still a big part of the culture in this part of the country (I bet you could count on your fingers the number of hours or days it's been since you last heard a black joke). .

I got sick of him a few years back. I can't stand to listen to the guy. Even the sound of his voice makes me turn the station immediately. KQRS is an olay station, but I never listen before his show is over.

I've been listening to the KQ and 93x morning shows since high school and still listen to both of them today. If your the kind of person that is sensitive and gets offended easily neither shows will fit you then;

I don't mind Passolt taking over this week, hes been doing a good job; but TB is hard to beat; and as mentioned there is a reason why its one if not the top morning shows in the area. It seems like either you like the show or don't.

How about adding some variety to the music and actually play a deep track...I love the morning show, but can't stand 90% of the music they play because I've heard it all 100,000 times already.

sorry for the rant...a bit off topic, but I had to say it. thanks

Actually only evening/night/weekend jockeys can add in requests or their personal style of music. I say "add in" as in they still have a required certain of songs to play per hour from their play-list. I work with an X-intern from KQ. He has said the majority of the music played on-air (especially during the day hours) is based off of recommendations and requirements provided from companies like ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC. Clear Channel or Citadel Broadcasting sure, but definitely not day time staff at KQ. wink

I will always like Tommy B. smile At a previous job at a Dodge dealer, his wife & son were my customers when they lived in Dayton. Once in a blue moon Tommy would swing in. Good people. smile As for me liking his morning show? It comes and it goes. Right now I am on a 93x Morning Show kick. Before that was the old AM1500 morning show with Willy & Jay. I tune in KQ every once and awhile, but some times their subject matter just does not interest me at that time. grin

As for Tommy B going away or quitting? Ya right lol! grin It is a double edged sword for both KQRS and Tommy. wink When you have a 20+ market share in a Metro area at the Twin Cities, Tommy would never be able to achieve that "anywhere" in the rest of his life time and KQRS would dwindle in the Morning show world and IMO never recover. They need each other and they know it lol!

There is only one edge, since TB has already made his money. He can retire and I think that's what he wants.

I have to say that I did learn more about the guy when I read that STrib article about how he grew up.

If your the kind of person that is sensitive and gets offended easily neither shows will fit you then;

I just stated a fact that he makes semi-racist jokes and that I choose not to listen anymore. That's cool if you like it. To each their own.

Tommy B. might wear thin on a guy every once in a while, but living up north, the only morning show on a rock format radio is 95KQDS out of Duluth. The goons on this show are about as funny as watching your dog get run over by a car. After about 2 minutes of these guys' mindless blabber most of you guys would be reaching for a knitting needle to pop your own eardrums.

I used to listen to the KQ morning show a few years back. I just got sick of listening to him whine and complain about everything. I do enjoy the 93x show as the humor is a bit more my speed. Both stations have serious issues with playing quality music but that's the way radio is. Now I enjoy KBEM-FM for most of my radio listening. No commercials to deal with and some phenomenal jazz.

I always have to laugh when they do the "Rock and Roll A-Z" at the end of each year. They boast that they have the largest on-air library and that they will play them all A-Z until New Year's.

I listen during this time and wonder "Why the heck don't they play any of this music during the year?? What's the point of this huge library if you only play 90% of the music that's in it once a year??

I really like the Morning Show. Other than 93X, I can't stand listening to anything else in the morning. We are lucky that we have the quality of radio in this market. If you've ever been any place else you'll see how bad radio really can be.

Agreed...after spending 7 years in Duluth for college (and no, I'm not a doctor). I can say the morning shows there are horrible....it's the stereotypical wacky radio morning show hosts that drive you crazy