• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 day youth deer hunt state wide during teachers convention

laker1

Wow, that is so nice of you dogs, let me see what I can get set up with the local sportsmans club. My email is nashasticker @ yahoo.com send me a message and if this gets going, I will get back to you. Just the thought is greatly appreciated. The generosity of the sportsman on this site is amazing.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naw trigger, I think he means he wants to send me a donation! Thanks so much dogs! You can send that to:

Sammy's Kids Hunting the World Fund

PO Box 69

Too Many Bills, MN 55555

All denominations are accepted. Thanks again. smile

Now I can afford to take my kids out during the youth hunting season!!!! Har har har.....

This has been a great discussion with many well mannered view points on how to get youth into the outdoors. Bottom line is-land and water space of quality has to be available to enjoy this resource. Than we have to have dedicated people who want to teach and take the youth outdoors on more than a one time excursion.

This is a going to far, I have mentored many kids to get them invovle in hunting but to give them a special 4 day season that disrupts the tradtion of hunting with your friends and family is crazy, all you are doing is teaching them that they need/get speciall treatment to go hunting and that you can go kill a deer. What they need is to go hunting with other hunters and eperience the full deer camp hunting tradtion.

I agree mnhunter2. I know many things in life you appreciate more if if they learn the tricks of the trade and earn the privilege of hunting by going thru the family tradition. Hunter Safety, respect of nature, maybe start out on small game etc.. But always be ready to encourage them and give a helping hand. Go the extra mile and have he or she to just enjoy the outdoor experience and its not how big the G-2 or bucks horns are and anything less is failure.

This is a going to far, I have mentored many kids to get them invovle in hunting but to give them a special 4 day season that disrupts the tradtion of hunting with your friends and family is crazy, all you are doing is teaching them that they need/get speciall treatment to go hunting and that you can go kill a deer. What they need is to go hunting with other hunters and eperience the full deer camp hunting tradtion.

I agree with some of what you are saying, but like I have said in this thread and will say again, I don't think this hunt is aimed at the kids who have those opportunities. I think this hunt is for the kids whose family may not hunting or doesn't have the chance to hunt. Say you are a mentor and a father of 2. You have your tradition of taking your kids to camp with you and giving them that experience. In that 'camp' you also share some sort of lodging, the land, hunting locations etc. It may not be that easy for you to bring a 3rd child along to introduce to hunting. However, given a special opportunity, during a different part of the year and many more folks might have the opportunity to take a kid or two hunting.

I think anyone over 65 should get a discount-just think of all the dollars they have paid for license. Oh I forgot this is just to get the youth envolved so they will buy license in the future. They can then hunt the public land that other people have paid for.

If you have to give someone something for them to do anything they probably won't do it in the future unless its free.

Fighting a loosing battle. Kids and the way most are raised are beyond the point of trying to raise like past generations. A special season will not change their regular habits. They will park themselves back in front of the xbox the same night the season ends. Global warming will melt all the ice, flood the world, and kill the deer anyway right?

Agreed. Went to a Mite hockey tourney (5-8) year olds and they were fighting over their gift bags, rarely spoke a word about the game when it was done, just what stuff did we get and what's the new boy or girl toy at McDonald's in the happy meal. Then you each get a puck as well and they weren't all the same so they fought over who got the cool ones. The way I see it especially in old zone 4, we used to get 2 or 4 days or could multi zone it, now we get 9 days. Adults can sacrifice some of their own hunt time to spend with their kids or a kid they know that shows interest in hunting. For lots of us we have 4x the amount of days we can rifle hunt now, plus I think it would be better to get these kids on Turkey's,Pheasants,Grouse,Geese,Ducks or whatever learning recoil, how to handle a bigger gun, a hunt where being stone quiet and being still doesn't have to happen. But, I'm not like totally opposed to the idea either, it's just I think a progression toward big game hunting would be a good way to go.

A portion of the news article by Dennis Andersen Minneapolis Tribune. Also the President of the Minnesota Deer hunters came out opposing it.

DNR is chasing Legislature in a hunting 'Bad Idea Derby'

Proposals for a four-day youth deer hunt and an earlier starting time for duck hunting should be abandoned.

Dennis Anderson

Featured comment

Close comment

My first experience in the deer stand..

was in `91 after the halloween snow storm. My dad taught me how to not only get to my stand, but how to stay warm. I think it was about … read more -10 opening morning. I learned to HUNT, not go out and shoot something. Yes, there are lessons that need to be learned and coddling young hunters with a special season will not help them when the time comes to do it for real.

Close comment

Add your own comment

Register or log in to comment

28 comments | See all

The purpose of MEA is so that teachers can go to seminars and learn something! However, due to their strong union and the Bravo Sierra that it perpitrates they are not required to go! Still, we as tax payers pay them to go and goof around. I vote not in favor! Tehn again it would keep them off the duck ponds! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Do we really need a special deer hunt for youth? NO WE DON'T! I can remember back when I was a young kid and waiting for my parents to come home after a day of deer hunting to see if they got anything. It didn't matter if it was a buck or a doe. It didn't matter if they had not shot a deer. What mattered was that they were home with stories of just being outdoors and what they had seen for wildlife and how close they got or how wet ,cold or windy it was.It was seeing the look of enjoyment they had in their eyes from being able to do something they loved. So with this being said. I was anxiously awaiting when I turned 12yrs old so I could take gun training class and receive my certificate that would enable me to hunt,and capture my own memories and stories to tell others. Sure I had shot guns prior to being 12 with responsible adult supervision. The issue I have is whats the point in having a gun safety course taught to 12 yr old's if they are allowed to possess a gun for the purpose of taking game when they are under that age requirement! They are already allowed to hunt deer with an adult at their side during regular firearms season. Isn't this enough! Especially while pheasant season is open. Something to think about. a couple yrs ago a young girl lost her life when her younger brother was unloading a gun in the house and it went off hitting her just a few days before he was to start gun safety class. GOD BLESS YOU NATASHA!

I'm kind of conflicted on this one. Especially since my Son just turned 10 years old. I most likely would not take him with during the regular hunt due to limited hunting space and cold weather but I would seriously consider taking him for an earlier youth hunt. If you look at what happened to duck hunting many people blame the early youth season on the poor openers. Personally, I think when they allowed early goose season on water is when it really made duck opener pretty much another regular duck season weekend with ducks flying a mile high at sun up. One thing you could not convince me of is that it would have no effect on deer hunting. There is no doubt in my mind that you would have people that cheat and it would definitely put more pressure on public hunting areas. Archery does not seem to change deer habits much but as soon as you get a shotgun or rifle season involved, things change quickly.

Quote:
However, due to their strong union and the Bravo Sierra that it perpitrates they are not required to go! Still, we as tax payers pay them to go and goof around.

I'm a teacher, we are NOT paid to go, they are not in our contracted days, just like the summer months. You don't pay for anything other than the contracted days. Just thought you should know. I dont go online and rip your profession. I would appreciate it if you didn't come on here and make false statements about mine. It would show a little class if you deleted your post.

Agreed trigger, definitely not paid to go, and look at what summer has turned into, most work into June, most have summer workshops or staff comes in to work on things, many are back by mid-august to start up the football program or by contract must put in so many hours before the 1st staff day where all come back, many are involved in grants that have summer pieces attached to them, many schools are linked to AYP, and many schools are or have looked at freezing teachers wages agreed upon by the local ed associations. Many are looking at 4 day weeks, some are either dissolving the district or trying to merge with another financially strapped district, and how many out of contract hours, how many hours are put in where your wages are fixed, but the work has to get done, plus how much money comes out of teachers pockets to provide like prize boxes, snacks, the holidays, even school supplies where you don't want to have to deal with the paperwork/credit cards etc. so you forgo that. Education has changed greatly since the George Bush No Child Left Behind, summer break isn't like it was in the 70's,80's,to the mid to late 90's. And then some eh trigger ?

No problemo, it's no walk in the park like many think geez summers off must be nice,but the ones saying that are in no hurry to get a teaching license, low pay lots of student loans, lots getting cut, low funding, lots of education issues and in other professions as well. Lots of special ed issues, lots of free-reduced lunch, lots of autism, lots of parents that used to say what are you doing to my child, used to be what has my child done. Is the MEA thing more well I lose 2 days of childcare and that causes trouble for my household. Anyway, times are tough not just for teachers but many many others as well. MEA when I would've been in the age range was a major duck hunting weekend, is that where a bit of this youth rifle hunt comes from no ducks and the regular rifle is too competitive, too cold, seeing few if any deer to keep them interested, etc. ?

No problemo, it's no walk in the park like many think geez summers off must be nice,but the ones saying that are in no hurry to get a teaching license, low pay lots of student loans, lots getting cut, low funding, lots of education issues and in other professions as well. Lots of special ed issues, lots of free-reduced lunch, lots of autism, lots of parents that used to say what are you doing to my child, used to be what has my child done. Is the MEA thing more well I lose 2 days of childcare and that causes trouble for my household. Anyway, times are tough not just for teachers but many many others as well. MEA when I would've been in the age range was a major duck hunting weekend, is that where a bit of this youth rifle hunt comes from no ducks and the regular rifle is too competitive, too cold, seeing few if any deer to keep them interested, etc. ?

well put. We have more than enough days to hunt the way it is. If they had a youth hunt, MEA would have to mean it was a national holiday so dad could get the day off to take jr hunting

"I don't think this hunt is aimed at the kids who have those opportunities. I think this hunt is for the kids whose family may not hunting or doesn't have the chance to hunt."

Is this going to turn into a "Take a Kid Hunting" thing? If the parents dont make time to hunt themselves, then they definately they wont make time for their kids. If parents do not do something then it is very hard for kids to get get into it.

The percentage of kids this would gain is terribly low if you ask me.

What are we looking at? 5% of kids that have never hunted? Less? More?

I just think taking a kid out deer hunting with a high powered rifle(or slug gun) for his first taste at hunting is stupid. And thats a big part of the aim of this effort. To get kids into hunting. Like all the other youth seasons.

Start with squirrels for crying out loud.