• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 day youth deer hunt state wide during teachers convention

laker1

I think that's part of the point of the youth season. To offer younger hunters the chance to experience the sport, while under complete supervision of an adult, before they're required to complete firearms safety training. I might be wrong, but this does seem a little backwards.

I agree with you- (Canopy Sam on the above statement)- I think your right on this part and conclusion on ages etc. is actually coming from two different bills, drafts or proposals so one can jump to conclusions on what and who can hunt? To get kids to hunt actually is a long term thing and parents will not get the kids to keep hunting and fishing if they don't make a long term investment into the sport. I know various Church groups and Boy Scouts etc. can not get enough kids at times to go on camping and fishing trips because the change of times and interests. Years ago these groups had waiting lists.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unknown. But, it's known that kids are lazier today than years past. Proof is in childhood obesity and summer rec programs. I definitely don't blame the kids or families that are struggling, I didn't ask for the internet or gadget's that give them instant stimuli plus the cost to own or buy a boat or hunting land with all the licenses etc. and then some. It truly is an uphill battle and with diminished trust in our society that doesn't help either, parents darn near feel the need to strap a GPS on their kid with all the kooks that we now know are running around in so many communities. Parents are extremely busy trying to make ends meet. There are so many factors at play today and so much of our paychecks are gone before we get them, everyone wants a piece of your check and then some. Remember how inflation was a slower progression up, seems like the last few years it took off at high speed. It's sad as the dairy farmers retired there weren't many farms that kept going, lots of rented out ones, but the land started getting locked up by hunters, not farmers, that's the way it is and that isn't going to change back. Mom's are in the work force, they have to be. Many of us did it (hunting) because channels 4,5,9, and 11 weren't too entertaining day after day, we had extended family that all hunted,parents had the time to teach us, we wanted to be like our elders, we got "it" at an early age. My goal is to try to help as many kids as possible get the "got it" factor toward hunting and fishing. Just a % of some of the issues. It's tough for me a bit because I'm not a give give give to kids kind of guy I'm a earn it earn it earn it kids kind of guy just simply the way I was raised. I had to earn it and I had to have the patience for my day to come.

Taken directly from the DNR HSOforum:

Youth deer season: This four-day, youth-only deer season would be conducted statewide during what’s colloquially known as MEA Weekend, when public school students are given a two-day break on Thursday and Friday so teachers can attend the annual Education Minnesota Professional Conference. Youth would be allowed to take one either-sex deer statewide. Adults would not be allowed to carry a firearm. The early antlerless season would coincide with the youth season in areas where an early antlerless hunt already is scheduled.

Two key points to the proposal; 1. Adults not allowed to carry a firearm, and 2. Early antlerless season would coincide where already scheduled.

Currently, this would apply to kids age 10-17, unless the minimum age is removed. In the release, they don't say anything about the Hunter safety requirements.

This is about a youth-centered hunting opportunity. Actually, youth deer hunting license sales have increased by 29% since the DNR helped the NASP (National Archery in the Schools Program) get going in MN.

The other proposals to help get kids into hunting included lowering the license fees and eliminating the minimum age.

I would have thought there would be more people concerned about the Buck Cross-Tagging or the Old timeres using crossbows during archery season.

Canopy Sam,

I too want to thank you for bringing some sanity to the thread.

Youth involment is key for the future of hunting and fishing. I feel like most families that enjoy hunting already have introduced their kids to hunting or have plans to,but if the parents do not already hunt they most likely will not introduce their kids.

Hunting needs to be taught more as a lifestyle than a 4 day weekend in October.

Also this season in projected to cause $500,000 dollars of losses to the DNR. It might be worth it if the youth season works out but should they be looking for ways to make up for that loss? Like increasing Non-Res and Adult Res licenses a dollar or 2?

Youth involment is key for the future of hunting and fishing. I feel like most families that enjoy hunting already have introduced their kids to hunting or have plans to,but if the parents do not already hunt they most likely will not introduce their kids.

Hunting needs to be taught more as a lifestyle than a 4 day weekend in October.

Also this season in projected to cause $500,000 dollars of losses to the DNR. It might be worth it if the youth season works out but should they be looking for ways to make up for that loss? Like increasing Non-Res and Adult Res licenses a dollar or 2?

Someone gets it! Well said.

The proposed youth hunt isn't the reason for the -500,000, it's the proposed reduction in youth license fee. Separate issues and proposals along with about 8 other proposals.

The south dakota season is on the to do list for several friends who are taking their kids there next fall. Nonresident license is $10. Very extended window of opportunity (sept to jan). So while there are fewer people residing there, it is an opportunity for any who can travel there, and the non resident license cost obviously not a barrier.

Having kids of your own does tend to create a different mindset about long term future of the sport, and generally an greater willingness to do without yourself so someone else benefits.

lakevet

Thank you Mike, for bringing some evidence to the discussion. Actually, I think the youth deer hunts vary from region to region in MN.

If I'm not mistaken, in 09' there were "special youth hunts" in various locations around the state (some state and federal forests as well as Camp Ripley), and there was the "General Youth Deer Season". In our area, northwest MN, we had the general youth, doe only, 2-day season. There is a strict 11-13 yr. old rule, and no firearms safety cert. is required. Don't know the regs about the other hunts or areas.

Chub, you always bring a bit of sunshine to the conversation. I don't disagree that hunting should be taught as a lifestyle. But honestly, how many of us truly rely on the land to continually feed our families. We're not living in the 1800's anymore. Today, hunting is a regulated privalege (sp?). Kids need to learn how to hunt ethically, safely, and humanely - putting meat on the table is just frosting on the cake.

I've taken my eldest son deer hunting with me every year since he was 8 yrs. old. I'll admit there were times when he struggled to keep up, and the thrill of the chase got the better of me. I didn't give him 100% of my attention. I was more focused on filling my tag. I spent time teaching him things, but not 100% of my time.

When we began hunting the youth season, and he was carrying the gun, and I was only the guide, 100% of my attention was focused on him, and teaching him every detail of the game, and the hunt. That's when he really began to learn and understand hunting. I'm now confident I could leave him alone, and he would fair just fine deer hunting. He still has a ton of stuff to learn that only experience teaches a hunter, but those two youth seasons we spent together went a long, long way to making him a responsible, and ethical hunter.

So what if it costs the DNR some money. If the youth season brings more kids into deer hunting, and more parents into deer hunting than would have not started without it, then it's money well spent. More importantly, if the responsibility taught during this season saves even one life, or one serious injury in the future, than it's worth every penny lost.

That South Dakota youth hunt sounds intriguing. The only barrier I see is finding land to hunt. I've heard it can be pretty tough to get access anywhere out there.

I think its a great way to get more kids excited about hunting. Its probably true that most parents that dont hunt probably wont take their kid hunting just because of a special season but maybe another relative or neighbor would be willing to take them out for a few days. I know Im not the only one that would be willing to give up a few days of bow hunting to take someone out who maybe would never have been introduced to hunting otherwise. With the way the season is now it would be alot harder because we already have too many hunters on our property and bringing another hunter in would be alot harder at least in my situation but with a special season you would have alot of land to yourselves including less pressure on state land which would hopefully increase the odds of getting a deer and getting them hooked on the sport.

The south dakota season is on the to do list for several friends who are taking their kids there next fall. Nonresident license is $10. Very extended window of opportunity (sept to jan). So while there are fewer people residing there, it is an opportunity for any who can travel there, and the non resident license cost obviously not a barrier.

Having kids of your own does tend to create a different mindset about long term future of the sport, and generally an greater willingness to do without yourself so someone else benefits.

lakevet

I do have differnt mind set about the future of the sport being I have 6 kids. They dont need a special season. Did you have a special season I didnt. If they want to be hunters then they need to know what it takes. If they dont like the coldthen they need to communicate that to me and I will make sure that they get the opportunity to get out bowhunting and they can stay home when it gets cold. People say that kids now days are lazier than ever I agree 100% they are because as a whole we as a society have failed todays youth. I would bet anything that most have made every attempt to make our childrens lives as easy as possible. We are not doing them any favors we are making them lazier. They dont have to work hard to achieve things why mom or dad will do it for them. I know this I used to do it I made it so easy for them to hunt and fish. No more a few years ago I realized if they want it they have to work for it. I do not remove fish for any of them anymore not the 4 year old girl not the sixteen year old boy. The ones who are old enough to hunt carry there own stuff (deerstands,weapon of choice,lunch,drink, etc..) Why should I do all the work my dad didnt do it for me and I am still hunting and fishing and I am a better outdoorsman for it. Its no wonder kids are lazy and that they are the way they are. If its not given to them they have no interest. It kills me when I read some of these posts in wich people say that me or like minded people who are against this are accused of being selfish! Really so I am selfish because I do not want this Because It WILL mess up my bowhunting! But you are not selfish by stating your child should get to hunt before the adults it doesnt matter if it ruins my hunting as long as your special kid gets special prividges. NEWS FLASH!! If your child choses not to particapate in hunting because they didnt get a special season then chances are they were not going to be hunters anyway!!!!!! sorry so long winded folks. I am sick of hearing about what special treatment kids need. life is not fair nor is it eqaull!!

We all want kid to appreciate and enjoy the outdoors, I just think kids have to learn to appreciate the outdoors first(no quick fixes), otherwise it loses it appeal and is not cool. You do this by starting at day one and taking your kid out with you while he is young and not leaving him home because he may get bored and slow you down in pusuit of your game. I am all for youth getting first shot at doe permits, but the youth deer season over MEA(which is the busiest small game weekend of the year) will create many conflicts with other users, many will be youth out for the first time with the 410 on their first grouse hunt. Were cramming to much in a already closed season. I would not mine if some of the parks would have special youth hunts. Than it could be controlled and nutured.

Why thank you SAM grin

Some of the others have stated what my thoughts are much more eloquently than I probably could have wink

The future of hunting and fishing rests soley on the youth that are going to be out there regardless of a special "youth season". For those that are fortunate enough to have kids that want to go, and are taken along regularly, kudos to you! You're doing the right thing. It's what got 99% of us where we are today.

For those that claim this would be a great opportunity to get their kids into the woods and devote the whole time to teaching......... what's been stopping you now? You could do it during the regular season...., you could go out over MEA and sit in a stand sans firearm, and teach the game armed with a camera.

Guess all I'm saying is the opportunity to teach kids and bolster the future has been there all along. No special "youth season" required. You just have to take time out of YOUR schedule to do it.

The future doesn't hinge on "special opportunities". It depends on parents doing what parents did for generations. Obviously the "youth hunts" aren't going hurt future license sales long term(nor do I think it will vastly increase #'s), but what it does do, is give us more to argue and fight about short term.

First off, bottem bouncer spelled it out the way it should. But that being said, if the early season would actually get more kids into the sport for a lifetime I would be partially for it. The fact of the matter is that if someone would take a kid deer hunting in October, I bet over 90% of those same kids will be in deer camp come November regardless of if the got to go in October. I just don't think too many adults who don't deer hunt will take their kids out in October - they don't know what to do. My dad did not hunt so therefore I did not hunt until I got a drivers license. I've hunted ever since. If there is a passion they will find a way. Of course it helps to have great friends to hunt with.

No need for a special youth season.

The youth today expect to be catered to.

Why give them what they want?

No. And Yes. Being 20 years old, I can look back at those 20 years and see that I have lived what B-B described above. I started sitting in trees when I was 10 years old, without a weapon, while my dad sat in a tree on the other side of the property. He let me sit when ever I wanted and I did all thoughout September and into late November. I learned most everything I know about deer today by myself. Going out and doing things yourself and making mistakes is the best way to learn.

This early youth season is a good idea if the age is limited to under 12. 16 and 17 year olds getting to hunt for 2.50$? If you are old enough to drive a car, your old enough to pay full price for a license. Also as I stated before, its not only a 4 day window to the outdoors in October. The parents should be taking their kids outside long before this and teaching and scouting.

The scariest thing for me would be the thought of some kid who has grown up killing zombies on their playstation and thinking that hunting is just another video game.

Would the 16-17 year old kids have to be accompanied by an adult?

It wasn't uncommon for me at that age to hunt with my friends, and form a hunting party. That could screw up some bowhunting, small game, etc...

I am all for a youth season, but I think there should be some compromise as to how it is run.

Kids 13 and under must be within arms reach of parent. 14-17 must be in the immediate vicinity. Maybe shorten it to one weekend instead of 4 days.

One of the biggest things I got out of a recent meeting about our whitetails is how we give people the opportunity to hunt deer with a firearm 6 straight weekends and how that impacts our deer herd. This would make it 7.

No drives or crosstagging would also be a great addition, etc... I think this can get done with minimal complaint as long as common sense is used.

One of the greatest things about deer season for me growing up was getting ready for deer opener. Will this change the way kids look at deer opener? The kids already get to hunt all seasons in zone 3. Do they need more? I know lots of people hunt pheasants, ducks, grouse, and small game hard during MEA. We used to camp in the woods and hunt small game. It would have been different if we could hunt deer. I believe I became a better deer hunter because I hunted other species. I get more familiar with my gun and my surroundings. I see the instant gratification society everyday.

I can see the pros, but I can also see the cons without being selfish. I am a big bowhunter, and I truly don't think that this will mess up bowhunting any more than the small gamers or pheasant hunters. In the end, we all have to share the resources.

I have to agree with others, a special youth season filled with kids who spend all fall in the woods anyway isn't going to change much. Starting to program to get younger kids (5 to 15) out fishing and hunting who don't already have some one to take them would get more people into the woods and on the lakes.

My long winded sermon was getting at that point. We started out by fishing, then single shot grouse gun, then the waterfowl weapon, and then gun safety/training, then I felt like I was joining the "bigtime" able to deer hunt while fishing year after year. Trigger you are right on about the progression of learning how to handle different guns and hunt different species, it readied us for handling high powered equipment(guns). It made us aware of respecting other hunters and anglers. As much as I hunted from 6 years of age and on, I'm not so sure I needed to have a 30-06 in my hands until I was 13 and I was an early maturer. I say to some make the sacrifice, give up the best deer stand and let the kid hunt it, be there with them. It's why old zone 4 worked so well, dad could take me one of the weekends and hunt the other.

To be honest.... I am kinda shocked by some of the feelings in this thread.

#1. The bottom line here is for a lot of us on this site, outdoors is a passion. We experience it any chance we get. There is a pretty good chance our children will enjoy it as well. This proposed season isn't exactly directed at OUR children, but those children in your neighborhood who don't get a chance to get out. If you had a few days to take a neighborhood kid, niece, nephew, etc. out in the woods would that be a bad thing?? If you leave it as is, most folks aren't going to take that kid to deer camp with them, but with a "special hunt" that may afford them the opportunity.

#2. The affect on pheasant/grouse/waterfowl seasons.... They all overlap already, so what is the big deal. Maybe we should make it so none of them overlap at all and then you won't have this issue.

#3. The affect on archery hunters.... We already have 3 1/2 months to hunt.... will 4 days really kill you???

#4. I think it may be time for some to start looking at the big picture... it has been mentioned in this thread already, but without getting kids involved you can bet that our funding for outdoor conservation will go down in flames in the future. Some seemed so worried about their little world and someone rifle hunting 300 yards from their bowstand on MEA weekend, when it has always been their BIG weekend to bowhunt!! The whole entitlement thing is kinda funny in my opinion...

#5 The whole notion that "I didn't have this" or "when I was a kid.." ... When you were a kid, you rode in the back window of the car on road trips.... is that still a great idea now?? The world is different. Are there things that were more effective years ago that we don't do much now, sure. No matter what the rules are, adults will raise their children the way they feel is best, so saying this hunt will add to their demise is just a way to say you don't like the idea, without really stating why. If you think it is coddling your kids, then have them stay home

I just can't see much negative about the whole idea. The outdoors in such a great thing to all of us on here and we are so passionate about it, why can't we try a little harder to share that with more people. This special youth hunt could lead to you taking your neighbor and his son/daughter out for their first hunt to see what it is like. It affords another opportunity .... just like what most folks want when talking about season date changes, no cross tagging, elminating party hunting.... Why do folks want these??? Because they think it will lead to MORE OPPORTUNITIES to harvest a Big Buck....

I sincerely appreciate the thoughts of Canopy Sam, Mike Wallace, goblue and others..... after reading the first couple of pages, I couldn't believe it.... thanks for giving the idea some thought.

**** I am under the impression that it will be for 10-15 year olds, not any age***

It would be insane to let a 5 -7 year old hunt with a firearm. How many of us want to be in the woods or fields with a youngster just removed from the potty training years. I was in the service with 17 year olds that were not mature enough to be carrying a rifle. Lets not go overboard.