• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 day youth deer hunt state wide during teachers convention

laker1

It's a different world now than when some of us started hunting in the 70's and 80's. Kids these days have other things pulling for their time (video games, computers, etc.). More hunting opportunities we can give kids the better.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Canopy Sam on this. It sounds like a great idea to get the focus on the kids learning to hunt and spend time with their parents.

With all the other seasons available during the same time moving deer around I don't see it as a big deal. Besides with the deer season in the middle of the rut, and all of firearms hunters hanging their stands and I don't see it having a real impact on the hunt.

However just like youth waterfowl day now when someone doesn't get their forkhorn they will have someone to blame.

Of course it's good and bad, the honest people will do the right thing and the dishonest like my neighbor told me his daughter has a gun safety cert. and for like $2.50 can't get a cheaper deer and good chance at a trophy buck he added. While his daughter is at the MEA football game dad will be dreaming of that monster buck.

Musky, if he does this, you flat out need to call TIP. Especially if you KNOW for a fact his daughter is not with him and he is hunting. Telling us about it does nothing. It will be much easier to catch him during a youth hunt then during the regular firearm season.

Unlike firearm season, the adult will not be licensed. He should not in any form be in the woods hunting deer with a firearm without a legally licensed youth.

I'm sure that during the youth hunt their will be restrictions on what we as adults can have for loads and weapons in our posession during this time.

I would be fine with a youth only deer hunt at that time assuming it is for kids 15 and under. There is already a early doe season in the areas I hunt at that time, and adults come from all over who don't hunt the area during the regular season. It has really pressured the deer since it began a few years back. I think having a youth only season would actually create less pressure, and it would provide young kids an opportunity to hunt under close supervision of an adult who cannot hunt.

In the end, it would probably be a small number of youth hunters that take advantage of the season anyway. I think the biggest concerns revolve around sharing the woods with other hunters who are in the woods or field that weekend in large numbers. Many families who use that time to pheasant hunt, duck hunt, or grouse hunt, will now be forced to choose between deer or small game/fowl. I think most of those folks will continue to bring out the shotguns with their kids/families/friends.

Move the regular gun season back 2 weeks. That will take the pressure off the bucks on the peak of the rut from the gun hunters and help increase the quality of bucks in the state. The bow hunters will be happy as get more days afield in the peak of the prime time to be afield chaseing whitetails, and let the kids hunt for 4 days. Everyone should be happy, well at least I know I would.

The other thing to consider is that this season would overlap with the pheasant opener.

I'm not talking about choosing what to do with the kids, but moreso the impacts of the hoards of people chasing pheasants with deer hunters on stands at the same time.

Could make for some frustrated pheasant AND deer hunters in the end when they are crossing paths in their favorite haunts.

Does anyone know what implications there would be for waterfowl hunters? I thought many years ago, if you duck hunted during firearms season, you had to have orange on to some degree. But I havent ever actually hunted ducks during a deer season to know.

I think this is a great idea. The youth are the future of our sport. Anything we can do to get kids hooked on hunting is great. My son participated in the youth archery hunt last year at Ripley. It was a great chance to sit together and focus on the hunt as opposed to worrying about what all the other hunters around us are doing. We hunt public land during the gun season, and it is typically a circus out there. You can say just do this during the regular gun season, but it isn't the same. I've taken my boys out during gun season where I don't even carry a gun. I just sit with them. Unfortunately, it seems like we spend half our time adjusting to the behavior of other hunters around us. I hope it passes.

Is there seriously an issue with less kids taking up deer hunting? I know this is very true for waterfowling. I was under the impression that deer hunter numbers are atually on the rise lately with more and more people gravitating to whitetails from small game and waterfowl.

This would be another blow to the dwindling waterfowl hunter population... frown

Good to see more positivity in this post now, rather then the negativity and greed that spewed rampant in the first few pages.

It blows my mind how so many can be opposed to a special season involving kids. Sure, deer may make adjustments to the increase in pressure, but that's when the hunter needs to step up and also make some adjustments.

Overall, regardless of what is being hunted, the public lands are being pounded hard that weekend anyway. Might as well let some kids get out there and have some other options to make hunting a little more fun for them before they get older.

This would be another blow to the dwindling waterfowl hunter population... frown

Definitely can't blame them for wanting to hunt deer instead,, at least they might see something.

There is a much bigger problem for the decline in duck hunter participation then a youth deer hunt.

BruleDrifter, Amen brother! Praise the Lord there are at least a few unselfish thinkers here.

MuskyBuck has a neighber that's cheating during the youth season. That's too bad. What's really sad is what this guy's teaching his daughter.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe it's even legal for kids to shoot a buck during the youth season - except in "special hunt" zones. The regular youth deer hunt, at least in our region, is for does only. My son and I have seen some nice bucks during the two youth hunts we've participated in, but have watched them walk. This in itself has been a great lesson for him.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, to answer your question Hockey, I believe even waterfowl hunters are required to wear blaze orange into and out of the blind during rifle seasons, but can remove the orange once in the blind.

As for disturbing other hunters (pheasant and deer), activity in the woods at this time of year can be a bonus to moving deer around - presenting opportunities for young hunters. Most folks mentoring a young deer hunter aren't going to be out pounding the brush for a chance at a shot.

As a youth mentor you need to provide a "standing" broadside shot for a young marksman. These hunters are much more likely to be in stand, or in a ground blind where the kids can have a firm rest and make a clean shot. I don't even want my kids taking running shots at deer.

A couple more kids in the field, or out in the woods, aren't going to take away your chance at a trophy buck. In fact, they may even get that big boy up and walking in your direction.

As for another season in October, for those of you who don't know it yet, the "early doe" weekend is already in October, and the "early youth" hunt is also already in October. If I'm understanding everything correctly, and again, I haven't seen this advertised yet, but the state is only proposing to extend the already existing youth hunt by two days.

I sincerely doubt this would interfere with anyone's pheasant, duck, or deer bowhunt. The only people that might be inconvenienced by this are bear hunters, who need a quiet woods to get an animal into a bait station. And truthfully, by the end of October, most bear hunters have either filled their tags, or have thrown in the towel.

MEA weekend is a family weekend. Why not make it an opportunity for a young hunter to have some fun, perhaps put a little venison in the freezer, bring the doe population down a bit in some areas, and learn to hunt deer in a safer, more weather friendly, and less stressful environment than the general firearms season.

If I'm not mistaken, you can always allow your child to use their unfilled "youth tag" during the regular firearms season if that's what you prefer. But please, let them do the hunting, and shooting. Imagine how dissappointed you would be if Dad took you afield on your first deer hunt, and then took the gun from your hands and shot the animal for you.

This isn't about killing a deer. It's about teaching kids to hunt deer in a bit more controlled setting, when they can be happy and comfortable knowing Mom or Dad are sitting there with them.

I didn't have a youth hunt growing up either. The first time I hunted deer as a 14 year old was with a party of 23 people. I literally had bullets hit the ground at my feet, and I didn't carry a gun deer hunting in MN again for almost 20 years. Not a great start to a wonderful sport. I wish we could have had a youth deer hunt when I was young.

Thanks for the positive posts and support guys. I hope this proposed "extension" of the youth deer season passes.

I have some dandy neighbors alright, I'm sure his daughter will go sit with him but at 75 pounds I don't think she can handle the win. 300 mag. I better bow hunt this year or I'll likely watch a buck I have passed on the last couple seasons go down. Call it selfish all you want but when you fork out 275K for land I'm not too enthuised especially knowing some that will not quite follow the protocol. I do think the youth hunt is ok, but man MEA weekend is prime for pheasant, grouse, geese, ducks, archery not that you could find a 4 day window elsewhere, but why 4 days and not 2, 2 used to be the whole firearm season for many 4A hunters ? When these kids get out of college someday they're likely going to realize that many won't ever be able to afford land unfortunately. But, it gives them a unique opportunity that they can pass down someday. I'd like to see the numbers of kids who would've hunted the regular rifle season and the number of kids that won't just for curiosity sake. Neither nephew of mine is going, they want to wait for the November season by their choice.

No matter where you go, or what you do, you can't control your neighbors. Inform the DNR that this guy is likely to bend the rules. They'll watch him, and maybe, just maybe, they'll catch him. If he's got a buck hanging in the garage after youth season I'm bettin' he'll be paying some fines.

Kinda funny though. A couple years back I saw a hunting program where a little girl, probably no more than 10-11 yrs. old, and no more than 80 lbs. soakin' wet, shot a big bull Buffalo several times with a 300 winnie mag. She handled it like a pro.

Personally, my little girl will be shooting a 243, or the 7MM-08. I recently heard of someone who had their daughter shoot a 22 long rifle for practice, then gave her a 243 when it came time to shoot a deer. She never knew the difference, and never noticed the recoil at all. Not a bad idea.

As for the conflicting seasons during MEA, these seasons already overlap - what are you gonna do? Won't hurt to have a couple more kids in ground blinds hunting does.

Once again, it's just a proposed "extension" of an already existing season. My guess is the stats are showing that youth overall aren't having much success. My son and I didn't fill his tag last year. The DNR is likely hoping to thin the herd in some areas with this season. It's just another attempt at herd management. Give em' a little more season.

I love your last sentance. Let the kids decide. It's good that they have a choice. Honestly let them know the pros and cons of each season, and let them decide.

True enough Canopy. I'm just not sure I want to be crawling around my creek bottom jumping deer out with lead sizzling in. Right on, I told them they certainly can hunt it if they want and on my land as well if they wish, they both said we'd rather go goose hunting with you, I said I'd forgo that to sit in a deer stand with you and your dad's, they did ask me will we have to wear blaze orange cuz the geese don't like that lol.

MEA weekend is the busiest weekend of the year of the small game-arhery season. You have the traditional groups and families-dogs etc. going north to hunt grouse-fix deer stands up etc. Hunter walking trails for grouse and areas hunted will have hunter conflicts. Also if the no age requirement goes into affect I heard people already talking about taking their 5 year old out so THEY can get some meat for the freezer. Fraud will run rampant. The enforcement can not police this accurately.

South Dakota youth deer season ran Sept 12,2009 to Jan 31, 2010. Two licenses, any weapon, age 12-17 yrs, antlerless only, resident or non resident, cost $5 resident, $10 nonresident, hunter safety required.

With muzzy season getting more screwed up, Regular Firearms a total zoo for years,more restriction on what you can take in the pipeline (APR's, No party hunting/cross tagging, etc.) basically turning the state into a "hunt club" for adults, I am all for an increased opportunity for kids to harvest and eat Minnesota deer. Maybe I need to start planning on moving to South Dakota, less taxes and more opportunity for my kids and future grandkids(if there are any) to hunt and eat venison.

lakevet

i think we (sportsmen) as a whole need to think a little more long term about our passions

If this decline of youth engaged in fishing and hunting continues, the revenue used to manage and restore the resources we so value will be severly reduced. The baby boomers are retiring and will soon be gone.

As the population ages, if we don't recruit young hunters and fishermen we will risk losing our precious heritage.

Just my .02. I'm more than willing to have a short season here and there to encourage recruitment of youth.

Like others have said its about the experience and not necessarily the act of shooting or catching your limit

laker1, with all due respect, you might be jumping to conclusions just a bit there. No federal or state agency is going to allow a 5 yr. old child to discharge a high powered firearm.

In regard to the firearms safety certificate question, I'm pretty sure it's not actually required for the "youth only season". It is required of young hunters for regular firearms deer season, but there is a minimum age limit imposed for regular firearms season tags as well.

I think that's part of the point of the youth season. To offer younger hunters the chance to experience the sport, while under complete supervision of an adult, before they're required to complete firearms safety training. I might be wrong, but this does seem a little backwards.

Many other states allow hunters under the age of 12-13 the chance to hunt big game. I believe MN has voiced some complaints about this, and hence the MN youth season was created.

The same restrictions are expected with youth, as are with regular firearms or bow season. The person handling the weapon must be able to reasonably shoulder and fire the weapon, or draw back the bow and successfully shoot. One can only hope that everyone abides by these standards. Is this always true, probably not.

But again, the premise of the youth hunt is that there will be constant, adult supervision. I'm pretty sure there is an age limit range - like 11-13 yrs old for the youth only deer season. My youngest daughter turns 11 in Sept. so this is the first year she qualifies to get a youth only tag - without her firearms safety certificate. She's been asking about this for two years now.

My now 14 yr. old son can no longer hunt the youth only season - although he does have his certificate. He now has to hunt the regular season.

Feel free to check the regs on this, but I'm fairly certain I'm correct.

Now if there is a way to have more than 3 children inside of a 3 year period I suppose there would be families that could acquire several inexpensive tags. But honestly, how many families do you know that have 3 kids all between 11,12 and 13 yrs. old respectively?

South Dakota also has significantly fewer people than MN, and virtually no large tracts of undivided forest.

You can deer hunt at 10 years old in MN(that changed in the 2008 deer season), and being considered to remove an age limit altogether with the new things being tossed around.

Here are the details of the proposed changes for youth.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoo...L7PQLanchO7DiUs

No doubt lakevet, and half the population of people and more big game animals available to hunt, what is there whitetail,muley,elk,moose,bear,mountain lion,antelope, bison not to mention ducks,geese,pheasant,sharptails,turkeys in strong numbers. Here, barely elk, moose is coming to an end it feels, bear or deer. I think that's a bit as to why many like me are so touchy about the whitetail. No desire to eat bear so there's 1 big game animal to hunt and many of us live where there are no huntable amounts of pheasant and no ducks to speak of. Either way my 7 year old is not going deer hunting, he could not handle a firearm let alone shoot in the kill zone a whitetail deer even after much bb gun and 22 practice. He can wait until he can prove he's ready.