• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 day youth deer hunt state wide during teachers convention

laker1

I would have no problem letting my 7 yr old hunt with a firearm. All shells in my pocket until on stand, then one in magazine, not transfered to chamber until shot presents itself. Me sitting beside him talking him through it. Don't see that as a problem.

The rest of you must bowhunt much better area than what I do. I have until slug season to fill my tag, after that, the deer are nocturnal and I rarely see any. That gives me a few days of hunting the "rut", which really hasn't got going yet. Add a 4day kid season mid October, and the time it takes the deer to get back to a normal pattern, I've got a two week window "pre rut" to hunt unpressured deer. Add the month of early season, and suddenly, my 3.5 month bowhunting season is down to 1.5 months. No thanks. I would not have any problem mentoring a young bowhunter (after I've finished the last of my own kids). I would be more willing to sit beside a youth during the regular firearms season. I just think between the firearms and muzzy, there is already too much gun season.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that claim this would be a great opportunity to get their kids into the woods and devote the whole time to teaching......... what's been stopping you now? You could do it during the regular season...., you could go out over MEA and sit in a stand sans firearm, and teach the game armed with a camera.

Guess all I'm saying is the opportunity to teach kids and bolster the future has been there all along. No special "youth season" required. You just have to take time out of YOUR schedule to do it.

The future doesn't hinge on "special opportunities". It depends on parents doing what parents did for generations.

Thank you, Chub. These sentences put the proposal in perspective for me and made the light bulb light up.

The comments of many folks on here in the last couple pages have made this a discussion that is worth reading (I was worried after the first couple pages). The posts have been well stated, polite, and passionate about kids, hunting, and parenting.

Getting our youth in the outdoors, hunting, and fishing is an important part of our culture that we have a responsibility to pass on, whether we have kids or not. Ultimately, whether there is a special youth hunt or not, it won't change peoples lives significantly. A few more kids may go, some will disrupt others' hunts, you may be inconvenienced, or there may be unethical behavior. That may all happen...or not.

As Chub stated so well - take the time out of YOUR schedule to do it.

Mike Wallace

I would like to shed some light here. I read these posts and there is a huge misconseption Bow hunters do not have 3 and 1/2 months. The season may last that long but its not reality. Once the orange army hits the woods bow hunting is pretty well done. Yes there are rare ocasions but they are few and far between. Unless you really do bowhunt you will probably not understand. So I will try and explain it. When you are gun hunting generally speaking if you can see it you can kill it. That is not the case with bowhunting. Think of it this way when you are out hunting during gun season How hard is to locate and harvest a mature buck? It is very hard correct and you can take a shot at 200yds or more. Now try and put that same deer within twenty or thirty paces. Now shoot at that same deer with a gun and try and get that close with a bow near impossible. so please dont let that 3 and 1/2 month season fool you.

So I must me missing somtething big.....

Take time out of MY schedule to take a kid hunting?????

What the heck??? Its never been about taking time out of my schedule for my kids, my nephew or my friends son up to this point.

Living through the kids eyes, fills my voids as a kid.

Frickin take a kid hunting, who needs a special season.

Is this some extension of, "No child left behind"?

When I started hunting 26 yrs ago, regular rifle season was bucks only, doe permits few. We hunted deer and competition with other hunters were not an issue in our area, even on public land. With time that changed to the point where we gladly gave up the rut hunt zoo to muzzy hunt with just us and the spooky, remaining smart deer that had survived, under conditions usually colder and averaging an hour less shooting light due to the shortening days. It was like being a kid again for all of us. Hunting strategy went back to what the deer would do, not what all the other hunters are doing. Now that has changed in our area where we are back to competing against more and more muzzy hunters(most who have already hunted centerfire rifle season and many archery season too) instead of deer hunting. A youth season could provide kids a chance at something that is getting harder to experience, hunting deer in uncrowded woods instead of competing against an army of other hunters.

lakevet

If this happens can we partician to get a special season to shoot from the road cause I am getting lazier and fatter. And am sick of all the work invovled in tradional hunting!! IN ALL SERIOUSNESS! I have a question why is it when the mention of moving the firearm season out of the rut is brought up people are quick to say deer hunting in november is a tradition. Can someone tell me why that statement has no bearing on a kids hunt in october? Its not a tradition.

We already have a youth waterfowl season so kids don't have to compete with the entire waterfowl hunting group. Youth can enjoy a waterfowl hunt with less chance of conflict with other hunters ( a sure recipe to sour a young hunter on the sport) and less pressured game. We adults adjusted to that, youth deer is no different. Maybe we should have pheasant, archery deer, turkey, and grouse youth openers before the rest of us have at it.

lakevet

I see from the above posts and observations of my own, the reason most young people do not enjoy doing outdoor activities is that the parents etc. do not take the time to acclimate individuals to hunting etc.. It is just not one last attempt- special event(stop gap) to get them hunting. You have to get them to appreciate the outdoors for what it is and decide once a year you set a day aside to take the kid with you. T o raise a youth or mentor its called sacrifice on your side. Although the reward for you individually is also great.

Interesting read guys. Just curious as to how many that are opposed bowhunt? How many that are opposed have kids? Also, how many that are for it, bow hunt and have kids. I don't need anyone to say this, just think about why you might oppose it. Is it truly because you never got that opportunity as a child? is it because you don't want someone messing up your bowhunting?

I don't pretend to have the answers, I do know that family size is decreasing. Kids that hunt and fish are also decreasing due to many varying influences ranging frm parents that don't hunt (anymore) to too many school responsibilities.

I am lucky enough to teach in a school full of hunters. I am lucky enough to have started a club in this school fully dedicated to hunting. Many, if not all, of these kids could join me on a hunt at any time. These kids get ultra excited for the opening of deer season. I like that it coincides with my opener. There is an excitement, a buzz so to speak in the school before deer opener. We spend all fall looking at trail cam pics and talking/dreaming about the big bucks that we have pictures of. I am excited that they might have the opportunity to have their own hunt. I am disappointed because it might take away from the excitement that kid might have awaiting the deer opener with his/her family.

I hope the intent of this season is to get kids that maybe wouldn't have a lot of opportunity to deer hunt out in the woods. I hope the intent of this season is to get kids that might have a hard time being successful during regular firearms, a higher chance of success. For the above to happen. It will take men and women like you and me to take a kid hunting that maybe doesn't get that chance. Take your kid and put them in the primo stand that is normally used by uncle Fred, who shoots a deer on opening morning every year.

These kids are the future of our sport. It is their funding that will enable the hunting tradition to continue. In the future, their will be a war on the hunting tradition as we know it. We need these kids, lots of them, to enjoy hunting and keep the tradition going.

I hope the intent of this season is to get kids that maybe wouldn't have a lot of opportunity to deer hunt out in the woods. I hope the intent of this season is to get kids that might have a hard time being successful during regular firearms, a higher chance of success. ...........

These kids are the future of our sport. It is their funding that will enable the hunting tradition to continue. In the future, their will be a war on the hunting tradition as we know it. We need these kids, lots of them, to enjoy hunting and keep the tradition going.

Well put trigger... to me, that is exactly what the youth hunt should be about. Like I stated earlier, I think this is much more about the average kid than the ones whose families have the outdoors as a passion. For the record, I have 2 children(soon to be 3), I am a casual bowhunter, casual small game and pheasant hunter and spend 4-5 days per year hunting with a firearm during rifle season.

Well.... This has become quite the interesting topic! I appreciate everyone's input here, be it negative or positive. We're all entitled to our opinions on this subject, so the "who's right or wrong" argument doesn't really hold any water.

Personally, I think it's fascinating how many tangents this one topic has branched out into. There are worthy discussions on both sides of the fence, but attacking, and or pointing fingers at each other on moral or ethical issues, or parenting styles, without knowing all the information, is just inappropriate and unnecessary.

For the record, my children are not fat and lazy, nor do they expect to get catered too. They are healthy, joyful, exhuberant kids, who love being outside, love being with and helping others, and most importantly love and respect the Lord, their parents, and other adults.

I have spent time in the woods, and on the water with all of them, helping and hoping to cultivate a love of the outdoors in each of them. Some have a passion for hunting and fishing, and some do not. I have no desire to force my kids to like, or participate in something just because I do. I give them opportunities, and choices, and leave the rest up to them.

We all have different styles of learning, as well as teaching. Some believe in the time-honored methods of raising kids, and some subscribe to a gentler, more hands on approach. Both methods work. Let's leave it at that.

This morning I backed up and read the article that was printed in the Trib to see if I could find some clarity on the issue. Thanks for providing the link.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, as there are still some unanswered questions in there, but the way it sounds to me is the DNR is planning on "simplifying" the regs in regard to youth deer hunting. I am all for this. Reading and understanding the regulations as they pertain to the different seasons has become a nightmare. Just the regs on youth hunting are confusing - as this entire conversation gives evidence to.

What I interpret is that the multiple, region specific, youth deer hunts throughout our state will be consolidated into one state-wide, 4-day, either sex, general youth deer hunt, with age range limits as yet to be determined. Does this sound about right?

As far as I can see, this would result in creating more open days of hunting for other species, without youth deer hunters afield, as the current (multiple) seasons encompass more than four days collectively. So this should actually benefit hunters pursuing other game throughout the entire hunting season.

I don't disagree at all that adults can take their kids hunting during the regular deer firearms season, and this can be, and is a learning experience in and of itself. However, as I stated earlier, even I am somewhat nervous about being out there with 400,000 other rifles in the woods. I'm not completely comfortable taking my kids in the woods at this time of year.

The youth firearms season plain and simply offers a safer environment, with exponentially less competition for resources. I have no doubt my perspective is biased, as in our region there are very few youth hunters afield during this season. There's virtually no competition. I'm sure near the larger MN cities this might be very different.

The DNR acknowledges that this won't be a "cash cow" for them. I admire that this federal and state appointed office is launching a campaign to make things easier for everyone involved without regard to making money in the end. It's commendable.

I don't pretend to know all the right answers for every particlar scenario as it applies to statewide resource management. I can't even comprehend the challenges and barriers our state officials have to face when attempting to appease every hunter, fisherman or landowner in our great state. I have friends that work in the DNR, and I know I wouldn't want their job. It's often thankless, and an easy target for anyone who doesn't directly benefit from an otherwise well designed and well intentioned proposal.

I have experienced the blessings that come out of the designated youth hunting seasons in our state, and I've seen the joy these opportunities have brought to my, and many of my friends children.

If I have to give up a couple more days of my hunting seasons to focus my attention on my kids, and their learning experience in the outdoors, hunting and fishing, I would never look at it as a loss, or sacrifice. I'm happy to do it. I look at it as a gift, and I appreciate the State of Minnesota's willingness to make this possible for our children. The pro's far outweigh the cons.

"Now please correct me if I'm wrong, as there are still some unanswered questions in there, but the way it sounds to me is the DNR is planning on "simplifying" the regs in regard to youth deer hunting. I am all for this. Reading and understanding the regulations as they pertain to the different seasons has become a nightmare. Just the regs on youth hunting are confusing - as this entire conversation gives evidence to."

Dang! I had just gotten to understanding them.

How many DNR look at this site? Instead of paper surveys that cost money they can see the many different opinions on here for free....

Thanks GoBlue. You might have noticed, I enjoy writing.

Actually lungdeflator, I do know that a few DNR officials are quite regularly monitoring this site. Not necessarily for opinions as much as trying to ferret out folks bending or breaking the law.

Honestly, the opinions and meanderings expressed on this HSOforum are only a drop in a very large bucket. It's fun to share thoughts and ideas on this topic, but this proposal is already awaiting approval or disapproval as an addendum to a bigger bill at the legislative level. Our sage wisdom here won't mean squat as to it's outcome. Oh well. Such is life.

I hope to see it pass.

My kids are all in on this one. We have a wreathmaking business we operate every fall and over MEA I work these kids like a couple of Hebrew slaves from sun-up 'til dark picking balsam boughs.

They both know that if this passes, there is no chance whatsoever that I would deny them the opportunity to participate.

How many DNR look at this site? Instead of paper surveys that cost money they can see the many different opinions on here for free....

thing is, you want surveys to be unbiased. opinions on a specific thread in a specific forum are about as biased as they get

dogs, wish I could help you out. Are you looking at getting into the Minnesota State High School trap league. I was just doing some research on that this week.

The way it looked for some of those schools that have trap leagues, they get some of their loads donated by the big shell companies.

When we buy shells for our trap range we try and find a good price on cases of good, but cheaper shells, then sell them at cost. It can get spendy.

or am I reading your post wrong?

If I'm mistaken about my earlier post - my bad. The article states, "The license simplification plan is contained in the Governer's supplemental budget bill, which must be approved by the legislature."

I interpret that to mean this proposal is an attachment within a larger bill - the budget plan. I think this is how many of these minor issues are pushed thru the process - as smaller pieces to a pretty large puzzle.

Admittedly, I am not very politically savy. I don't want to be. Politics, and the whole political process make me blow chunks.

Glad to hear there's a survey available. I'll have to fill that one out.