• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking forward to 2010 season already

mabr

I know Im not the only one who is already looking forward to this years bow season. I know at least 3 of the bucks i was hunting made it through the season. And even though i had doubts about how many deer I actually had in my area, they are starting to show themselves now that their in survival mode. And yes their still around.

They outsmarted me for the most part this season. Which is OK with me. Its what keeps the fire going until the next year. I'm going to try to spend as much time figuring them out once again for the upcomming season and still be happy with not using my buck tag if that happens to be the case next year.

Also, whatever the DNR decides to do with APR, Antlerless tags, bonus tags, party hunting or any other debated things we have discussed on here. We still live in a great state and country where we are allowed to deer hunt. Whether you shoot a spike buck or harvest that once in a lifetime P&Y. Were all (at least I hope) out there for the great memories, comradery or just the tradition we all love and are still able to do.

So, Heres to all of us die hards that pursue the wonderful Whitetail deer we all love and admire, and look forward to another year where we try to solve all the worlds problems while were alone perched way up in a tree with nothing but time on our hands. Just waiting for the chance to harvest the most wonderful animal (in my opinion) in the world.

May you all have a great and wonderful New Year and the best of luck patterning that trophy in the year 2010.

Can't wait. I really got into bow hunting this year. I video taped most of the time and got tons of footage which was fun. Saw lots of deer but never closed the deal because I let 3 smaller guys go waiting for the big boy that gave me the slip. I will be doing a lot of scouting this year in preperation for next season. Even looking at getting 40 acres for myself so that I can manage the land and just have fun with it.

With the frigid cold weather upon us I am glad to hang the bow up for the year. I didn't get out as much as I wanted, didn't see any big bucks, saw enough deer to know the herd is still pretty solid in my area. Hopefully next year I can take my son with for a few sits, hopefully next year I will have a new spot or two to explore/figure out. The months go by pretty fast as I gracefully age. Mid-september will be here before we know it....

[PoorWordUsage] cold now and I sat on the lastnight the 31st and froze my butt off waiting for sunset and taking my stand down. Plus I don't trust my bow being efficient or holding up in this cold! Now i can just ice fish or go spearing, but am thinking of maybe doing some predator hunting? How many of you guys do that in the winter???

I to will be scouting a ton once it warms up and shed hunt some. Then comes cutting shooting lanes and some trails and putting out mineral licks in the spring/summer. One thing that sucks about this past season was Tom Clancy was right with this past gun season being amazing with all the big bucks shot and he was right. The 2 areas where I bow & rifle hunt extensively had 2 monster bucks in each area and they both were shot..(#1 15 point 220 lb buck had to be about 6 or 7 years old, #2 was a 9 pointer dressed out at 245 lbs. seen both up close) so I was kinda bummed on that note, but happy for the neighbors who got them, nice guys! But I passed up on 5 smaller bucks this season so hope they made it thourgh season and winter to make it till next season. So I am excited just for the fact that fall cant come, but in the mean time I love to fish as well so I'll be doing that as much as possible!

I'm majorly looking forward to bow hunting next year. each year the deer I've gotten has gotten bigger and pulling strings already for next Sept. Hopefully get a few more chunks of land and already got now 3 cameras instead of only one last year. See if it helps with my luck or not!

Yep, I'll take a month off or so, then I'll start flinging arrows again and I can't wait for next Sep! I'll have my little boy up shooting with me a little more this Winter too- that's always fun!

I can't wait until Sep!!!

Very excited for next year! Last year was a very busy year for me so I didn't get out as much as I would have liked. I did put in some time scouting/hunting during the muzzy season and found some prime country and a couple of bucks that made it through rifle season. I also got some game cam picks of a couple of bucks in my usual hunting spots that survived. I'm really hoping that next year all my off season work will finally pay off with a mature buck. I plan I getting out this winter for some more scouting/shed hunting.

I am excited about next year also. The amount of standing corn in ND where I hunt seemed to be a great thing for helping those bucks survive the firearms seasons, and it should be a banner year where I hunt (although this year was pretty good), There are a couple bucks in particular that I am very excited about.

In MN, it looks like a good number of bucks that were just a bit on the small side survived and there should be a few worth pursuing next season, including a non typical that could be very crazy.

All of these deer have appeared on trail camera since the middle of December. As always, I hope to get afield more often next season.

I, too, am very excited about being able to get into the stand next year. This was my first year of bow hunting and I liked it way more than I thought I would. Will be lots of scouting and looking at different places for next year. Looking forward to hunting the prerut and trying some rattling. Although I wasn't able to arrow a deer this year, I still had a blast. Next year will lead to hunting smarter and harder. Plan to put new sites and a new arrow rest on the bow over this winter/spring and then I will be down in my basement shooting arrows til the fall.

We had a fun year, even though 4WheelinMama and I harvested no deer and the tag soup is tasting terrible, needs more salt I guess.

Cannot wait for 2010 to open, we did see several deer and had chances to harvest, I was in the passing mode too many times and my wife was in the buck fever mode a couple of times and shoved a few arrows in the dirt and mud over and under some antlered whitetails.

Being her first year, we both enjoyed it.

I really liked having a hunting partner and I think she started to realize why I like hunting so much.

The peace and solitude of the woods and the always inticipation of the "when and where are they going to show up"

Mark

Im thinking about next year every day. I had a great year this year even though it was the least amount of hunting I have ever done in a year because of my new job but I will have at least 3 weeks of vacation to burn up next year on hunting. Looks like we have alot more deer than we thought earlier in the year, all of our 4 acres of food plots are wiped out completely as of last week but there is still 80 acres of standing corn on the neighbors so hopefully they will have a good winter. Cant wait to get out and look for some sheds and then before I know it I will be planting food plots and starting all over again.

Ditto b-b!

But I AM looking forward to next season. I found a new stand site this year that I wasn't able to get back to during the season. Hopefully next year I still have permission to hunt that property.

Right now though I'm hung up on the ice fishing and snowmobiling with a little spring turkey on the brain.

Last spring was the first time I was able to keep my butt in a blind for most of the day and it paid off. I'm thinking I should make 2010 the year of the bow.

I have always thought highly of taking a bird with a bow but haven't had the gumption to risk my tag by making it more difficult. I think I'm finally ready this year.

No league shooting this winter but some indoor practice does sound nice.

I don't know about you people but I'm allready out scouting finding new areas and stand sites since the snow started makes it allot easier trying to find core areas and travel routes but maybe i'm just crazy for being out in this weather planing for next Sep.

Arch, saw a really nice buck with a couple of does and a forkhorn bounding out of the area you hunt by my house two mornings ago. Almost had it as a hood ornament. Sure was cool to watch them clear the barbwire fence with so much grace.

No scouting for me until next fall. My hunting spot is 250 miles from home.

I have alot of fishing yet to do before archery season but I do look forward to searching for another large deer.

I will have to find another buck as Scoot shot my trophy for next season.

Just kidding Scoot, I am happy you got him.

I dont think anybody is crazy to start planning now for next season. thats half the fun. This past season I was fortunate to to find some exellent stand sites that should be very good in the coming season due to the amount of old sign in the area from previous years. I know there are some nice bucks in the area that made it thru the gun season so the amount of site prep I have for next season is minimal. thats probably the biggest reason I am not getting to anxious for fall to come. I hunt alot during the season so its nice to be able to sleep in on saturday mornings. Besides its winter that is a time to sit in the fish house and relax. cant shoot indoors right now due to the fact that I sold my bow a couple a weeks back. and havent made it out to get a new one yet.

Arch, saw a really nice buck with a couple of does and a forkhorn bounding out of the area you hunt by my house two mornings ago. Almost had it as a hood ornament. Sure was cool to watch them clear the barbwire fence with so much grace.

Yeah there are alot of deer there ended up taking 2 does out of there all the bucks wouldn't come across the road till well after dark but had 9 diffrent buck on the trail camera.

It happened today! I woke up this morning and the itch is back. I am now ready for it to start again the blisters on my hind end are healed and I am ready to get out in the woods and look around and start preping my stand sites. And most of all go outside and let some arrows fly it is just so much more fun than shooting inside.

I will have to find another buck as Scoot shot my trophy for next season.

Just kidding Scoot, I am happy you got him.

Ouch! Cheapshot!!! shocked

I know you're just giving me heck, Harvey. Plus, we both know there are others just as big and definitely some bigger still out there! With any luck you'll cross paths with a big guy in Sep!

Rather with a bow, but

got in touch with a young buck the other night, I wil try to find a way to post pics from the phone camera if I can.

I was able to pet it on its way out,

Nubbin buck ran into my truck on the way to work the other night, was able to pick it up to its hoofs again, but had to have the cops come and expire it, was broken up a little.

I felt like S____, but I had to get to work and had no knife to do a quick field dressing episoode.

I would have believe me, we are enjoying tag soup this year.