• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HSO Deer Photo's

Nice deer everyone!

Got this 8 pointer in northern WI this weekend. It was quartering away, down hill from me at about 100 yds. Squeezed of a shot, it jumped and took off running. I waited 30 minutes went to where I shot and no hair or blood. Looked for 40 minutes before throwing a tantrum in the woods for missing it. No snow and ground was frozen, so tracking was difficult at best. I thought about the posts here where people have spent hours/days looking for blood so I walked along the edge of the swamp where I thought it might have gone, and finally found him 250+ yards from my stand...no blood anywhere. When I rolled him over there was a quarter sized pool of blood...that was all that came out. Since I was uphill I hit him up high, took out both lungs, but the bullet stuck in his upper leg so the blood pooled inside and never came out.

full-35483-3634-picture002.jpg

Here are the others we got the first few days...not too bad for only 4 of us.

full-35483-3635-picture007.jpg

Got out to my stand this morning at about 6:20. This was going to be my last sit of the year because of work and other obligations that would keep me from making it out. It was dark and I could already hear deer up and moving around. Of course that got my blood pumping because I expected to see something at first light. I didn't. Figures, right? So, it gets to 7am and I hear the neighbor to the north shoot twice. Good sign that the deer are still moving around. At about 7:10 I see a line of 6 does come walking towards me. I'm thinking that this is my chance to finally get some venison in the freezer. I pick out the biggest doe and wait for her to get broadside. She finally turns and I squeeze off a shot. Nothing. 60 yards and this deer is wondering what the heck just happened. I chamber another shell and bang! Nothing again. She is still standing there. Bang! Nothing again. At this point, I am disheartened beyond belief that somehow, my gun is not on target. She begins to trot off and stops at about 100 yards and I think that this is a fluke that I am not hitting. I had tight groups at 100 yards 1 week ago. I squeeze off one more shot. Bang! She spins and drops dead in her tracks! At this point, I have never been so glad to have shot a doe. I text my brother, dad, wife and father in-law to give them the news. They congratulate me andd my father in-law says he will be out in a little while to load the doe up in his truck. It is 7:30 at this time and I am ready to get down and get to work on gutting the doe out. I hear the neightbor to the east pop off 2 shots. So, I wait. I see movement in the distance so I quick reload the clip and try to settle my nerves again. At about 100 yards I see that it is a buck! He is coming straight at me and quick. I am thinking to myself that I better not miss 3 times again because this guy was not going to stick around. He gets to about 60 yards and starts walking broadside. I tell myself that as soon as he stops in a clearing, I am taking him. He stops and bang! He kicks his hind legs up and begins to tear out of there. I quick reload and he is at about 20 yards going full boar and bang! Another shot in the shoulder and he was done. I called my brother and he asked if I found the doe and I said," yeah, but I also shot a buck." He called me a name that I cannot repeat on here and said congrats again. 2 deer in the span of a half an hour on the last day that I could hunt. Kind of sounds like what they always say on them hunting videos! full-23100-3728-deer.jpg

grin

Congrats AuggieDawg on a great hunt! You wont be forgetting that one anytime soon! I've yet to fill my archery buck tag so how about now you figure out the ice fishing on the St. Croix since you wont be in the woods anymore and let me in on where the action is grin

Good friend of mine finally got permission from his hunting buddy that took this one on opener to let me post the pic. Thought I'd share it because he used his cell camera with distort mode and it made for a cool pic. It's a nice buck with normal pics too smile The main beams truly were close to touching.

full-20564-3786-imag0034.jpg