• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just a Dog...

LABS4ME

Just a Dog…

This post will obviously bring about different feelings from those who know all too well what it is that I will be writing about. These are the days when having good bird dogs loses much of it’s luster. It is the day we OWE to our friend, our partner, our pet.

It dawned on me the other day as I told someone that I soon had to say goodbye to my girl of 15 plus years, that it was O.K., “she’s just a dog”. At first, I was a little offended, I mean come on, give a little compassion here. I just smiled and agreed and carried on my way… Thinking the whole time, “it’s just a dog”.

Hmmm, just a dog.

The mom to 4 litters of pups with owners that cannot believe the gift they were given. Yep! 37 happy families. Could of easily been 10x that. She sure gave the world good pets, great friends and fabulous hunting partners… yep! Just a dog…

She was my son’s best friend growing up. We had acreage and friends needed to be shipped in for play time. But Breeze was always available to play with Hunter. A couple hours in the sand box… a little time running under the sprinkler, sharing lunches outside, sleeping on the front porch for hours while Hunter napped waiting patiently for him to come back out… yep! Just a dog…

She stepped up in a big way at 5 years old to be my lead ‘go to’ dog after having to put 2 titled kennel mates down in the previous 2 years. I gave her little credit for her hunting abilities as my other dogs were incredible… well she showed me what 5 years of pent up desire looks like. Her waterfowl skills were superb on her first real day out hunting. She laid on a floating bog for 2 straight days and completed some amazing retrieves. Her upland skills while utilized minimally in the past, came through like a polished all-pro… and I never had to use a collar or correct her. She knew what it was that made me happy… yep! Just a dog….

She so eloquently slipped into old-age. Still hunting at 12 ½ , allowing my son to see her in action, albeit for an afternoon here and there and only that fall, but her heart and her soul shined through. She showed him what determination was on a tough retrieve and how to have fun on a cloudy cool afternoon… yep! Just a dog

As the ever lasting Matriarch to my kennel, she showed a lot of pups what social skills were to be followed when dealing with your elders. Never the one to snap or snarl, but to have a presence to tell them to stand down, to show some respect when needed and to unwind and have fun if the situation called for it. She carries a scar on her nose from another Mom of a litter a year ago. She walked away with a pretty good gash, knowing full well she intruded on a new Mom’s space, no fighting needed, she understood… Yep! Just a dog…

The list could go on and on, but these come to mind now. But you know what? That person was right in their own way. She is just a dog. And for all these reasons and many other, that is the reason we decide to carry this burden in our heart every 11-12 years or so. They give their love unconditionally, they know who they are in this world, they expect nothing in return but treasure anything we give. We are lucky to have them in our lives and I wish each of you a special girl in your life like my Breeze. She is one in a million! Funny thing though, we all have one of those ‘millions’!

Give your dog a big hug tonight, let them know how lucky ‘YOU’ are. Pat them on the head, look them in the eye and tell them Breezey will be walking along side them this fall. She would relish the opportunity. I need to end this now, my eyes are full and my mind is racing, the call has been made and plans are being made for this evening…

Good Bye Breeze, thanks for the almost 16 years we’ve had… how could I have been so lucky? One man should never be bestowed this gift all to himself…

Sleep well old girl, I’ll miss you, more than words will tell.

Yep! Just a dog!

No dog is ever "just a dog"

Im sorry too hear about Breeze, she lived a full life and she gave happiness to many other families.

You sound like a very blessed man and the memories of all the good times will be with you forever.

I also have "just a dog" who is only 1 year and 7 months old. Reading this post brings tears to my eyes knowing what a loyal companion we are so lucky to share so many memories with. Be comforted knowing that your girl is headed to a place where each day she will awake to a cool, crisp fall day where the waterfowl are willing and the updland game are plentiful. She has a million more retreivs to look forward to, and I would be willing to bet that she is taking more than just a few memories of you with her on her journey as well.

Rest In Peace Breeze!

Sorry for your loss Labs. I also have ashes to spread this fall. Choards left us at 12+ on fathers day. Had plans for her to be just a truck dog this fall but in 4 hours we went from normal routine to being told what has to be done is best for her. No dry eyes. We can only hope they all hunt on and will be waiting for us.

Sorry for your loss. It's never easy to loose a friend. After loosing "just a dog" a year and a half ago, I just picked up another one. Already she is trying my patience, but posts like this remind me what it is all about, thank you for posting it, and every word is true. Take care, remember the good times.

Ken,

Sorry to hear about Breeze. I know you have a heart of gold when it comes to our "very special members of our family".

Thanks to you, I have many years a new memories to make with Molly. She (Molly) replaced a very special dog!! Almost 14 years we had Abbey......Molly isn't from Breeze, however, she is a heck of a lot more than "just a dog".

It is one of the most difficult decisions we make as dog owners, but as the vet told me "you will know when the time is right". As tough as it is, she was right. Treasure the memories!

Ken

Very sad. There is no such thing as Just a dog.

I lost my English Pointer years ago and I still look at photo's of Stormy and remember all the great hunts we had together.

I have a cocker now in the house that is slowing down fast. She is 13 and the time is coming. I have always said when its time, she will not suffer but it is so hard to do.

I thank my lucky stars for every day we have together yet.

Never just a dog.

Ken, I am truly sorry for your loss. I am starting to see Shadow slow down a little bit and I know this year in South Dakota will require him to sit out a few hunts. Breeze will be with you forever. Take care in these hard times. Later, Scott.

Great post Labs! Its never easy. I feel for you!

I had to put down my black lab "Hank" of 14 years last October. I got him when I was 14. Hes experienced nearly everything I have. Now his son (Ivar) is 5 and providing just as many smiles! While some dogs die young, we should feel blessed that ours were able to live out such a great life right until the end!

Hang tough! Its sounds like it was the perfect life for her!

Labs, good reminder for all of us to appreciate what we have. As the owner of a 13 year old dog I'm dreading the day. Was out pheasant hunting last night with her and my 6 year old lab, getting close to sundown and they're both getting hot, the 13 old lab ended up rooting out a rooster that the 6 year old had overrun. Everytime I go out this year I wonder if I should leave her at home but then she starts doing 'circles' when the gun comes out - love that enthusiasm!!! Like you said, unconditional love is what you get.

Thanks Guys... it means a lot.

She has 2 owners of pups coming to send her off, as well as my vet whom has one of her pups is bringing his dog in and my daughter is taking off work at lunch to meet me at McDonalds to say goodbye and share a last cheeseburger with her. Breeze knows a cheeseburger was the way we ended a great hunt... and to be quite frank, she lives for food! I really think it holds more esteem than birds!

Here she is at 12 on a hunt with my son...

P1010183-1.jpg

Godspeed Breezey!

Ken

You have my sympathys she sounds wonderful !as all hunting dogs are,please guys take care of em best you can, cause just like Breeze she gave her all and touched many hearts,i recently lost my german shorthair of 14 years it is tuff, i think i cried for three days ,now maybe once aweek and right now ,again !dont know how opening day of pheasant season will bring for me im goin to try and reflect on many great days with that ole bird dog best i can. ive been trying to think of why its so devastating to lose [just a dog] only thing i can come with is LOVE !

Great Picture.. To anyone who would like to tell "it's just a dog" around the time I had to make the decision you did.. I would say "I'm sorry thats just a black eye I gave you" Dogs like that are awesome. I am glad she could give you so much time and memories.

Sorry for your loss. You brought tears to my eyes, Had to put my best friend "doc" down last year. There has been way too many times I have gone through this, like was said earlier, they don't live long enough! I have had many in my life that I can't wait to see again.

Nice post Ken, I bring my friend of 13 years in tomorrow to find out what he's got growing on his side...I'm not anticipating good news.

To those that say just a dog, have obviously never had that connection. They are so much more, therapists, guardians, comedians, foul weather fishing buddies, patience testers...the list gos on.