• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm Curious

DaveT

After the last month of arguing over our deer management, how many of you who have never deer hunted out of state are planning on doing it now? Which state(s) are you thinking about going to?

For those of you who aren't thinking about it, what's holding you back?

After the last month of arguing over our deer management, how many of you who have never deer hunted out of state are planning on doing it now? Which state(s) are you thinking about going to?

For those of you who aren't thinking about it, what's holding you back?

I would never bother paying the rediculous fees for an out of state licenses for Whitetail deer. We have plenty of them here in MN and plenty of big ones to boot, regardless of what most of you think.

The only hunts I want to do out of state are an Elk hunt out west( unless I get lucky and draw a bull tag in MN) and a Moose hunt in Canada (I could never bring myself to take down a MN moose with the populations plummeting like they are).

Only way i would do that is just trying something different, there are plenty of deer in MN, everyone needs to stop crying because they didnt get a deer this year. ITS ONE YEAR! I am thinking about going out west to do a Pronghorn hunt, would like to do a Elk hunt and a few others. Gf and family go to Wisconsin every year to hunt maybe ill tag along but really spend 150-250 for a tag just because we dont think there are enough deer here when we all know there are plenty is just dumb.

I always hunt out of state. It's not because of lack of deer here though. My family owns 200 acres in wisconsin that we manage for deer, so we have nice sized deer, as well as great numbers of deer. This year alone, we took a wide 10 point, a tall 8 pointer (G2 and G3 were 8+ inches) and 7 does in the early and late antlerless seasons. To me, I don't see the point of hunting in MN when I have 200 acres of managed land in Wisconsin that produces yearly.

I took 3 deer in 3 different states this year. I hunt So. Dak. every year, and my cabin is in Wis. This is actually the first year in a long while that I've hunted Minnesota. With hunting spots as hard to come by as they are I don't feel $165 - $205 for licenses in Wisc. and So Dak are that hard to swallow for what I get out of it.

I've done it in my earlier years! The thing is I see these outdoorshows.Get 3-4 Turkeys a day archery,Huge Mulies,and whitetails out of the same stand,Aboundant elk and all 6X6s,

Why cant we here in Mn have hunting like that??HaHaHaHaHa

I hunted Colo,Wyoming,Utah,New Mex.Texas,Cal,S Dak,Mn, And NEVER seen it like on TV HaHaHa

I think some see these shows and think its easy! Just go there.

I've big game hunted in WI, MN, WY, CO, CA, & AK, not all for whitetails. I've waterfowl hunted in the Dakotas too. I'm sure I'll hunt more big game out of state too, but it's not because I think the deer hunting's bad here. I just like to hunt more places &/or other critters. Plan to hunt WI most years now as I have family there who can hook me up with private land. I'm not one to go off & hunt public land that I or someone I know & trust hasn't been on before when I can stay here & hunt land I know. Cost most certainly is an issue. I've never paid a guide & probably never will.

I've done guided hunts in Missouri 3 times with the same guide. I was thinking about signing up again and checked the prices just the other day. He is now double what it cost from 1998 which is the first year I went down there.

I'll probably do some more out of state hunts in a few years but not now. At some point I hope to get some bigger deer on my properties with all of the improvements we've been making to our properties.

I've never hunted outside of MN but I'm very interested in doing it. I plan on hunting out of state at least once next season. I'm thinking about turkeys in the badlands(SD) for a Merriams or maybe in Nebraska.

I also want to hunt elk. Thinking Montana or maybe Colorado, but I hear CO is a zoo. Tags are not that expensive if you plan right.

I don't want to wait so long that age and bad knees (I already have one bad one) rule me out before I save enough money. I will pay the money now and worry about it when I can't hike up mountains anymore.

I've done elk hunts with my dad in CO and WY and muley/whitetail hunts in WY as well. The only reason we go out there is because it's much cheaper for me since i can still get the youth licence. It's not for the lack of deer in MN but just the experience of being out west and the cheaper tags.

I've never hunted out of state either. I really want to go out west for an elk hunt one year and I could also see myself doing some bow hunting with some friends in Wisconsin, Missouri, and maybe North Dakota. Probably nothing fancy, no guides, just a plain old DIY style hunting. I probably won't be going anywhere soon but once I free up some time and a few extra $$$ I will be on the road.

I've never hunted hunted big game out of state, just waterfowl in nodak. I'm lucky enough to have a couple hundred acres of good deer ground to hunt just a few minutes from my house. I also take a week off work in October and head up to northern MN for some unbelievable bowhunting. I've seen as many as 40+ deer in one evening hunting public land up there.

As of right now I don't have any plans of hunting anywhere other than MN, I usually don't have to much trouble finding deer. If I were to go somewhere else, it would be just to try a different type of hunting. I've always thought it would be fun to do a spot and stalk hunt out west for either whitetails or muley's.

I might like to hunt deer in other states, but not quite yet. I'm more interested in some of the other game first. I know the trophy potential is better elsewhere so I plan on doing it someday, but I will probably wait a bit for deer.

I mentioned it in an earlier post, but my family owns 200 acres in Wisconsin. NOt only do we have quantity of deer there, but we have quality as well. We have gotten pictures of nice sized typical bucks, as well as pictures of a very nice nontypical buck. Also, we have the opportunity to hunt waterfowl if we choose. The waterfowl hunting there would compare, if not beat, waterfowl hunting in western Minnesota. Granted, they don't get hunted much in that area, but we have great waterfowl hunting there as well. We also have a stable(given the cycle tendencies) population of grouse, which makes for a great hunt. We also have turkeys, bear, and the occasional pheasent and woodcock come through.

If I hunt out of state, it won't be for whitetails. My area has some that are going to be similar to what I would pay for in other states so why spend the $$$. If I get a chance, I'd like to go after an elk, caribou, or antelope, of course, a sheep or Mule deer would also be cool. Probably not going to happen until I retire. Its hard to take a week off from teaching, the school system tends to frown on that and there aren't much for hunts other than the fall. Would love to take a trip with my old man, brother, and father in law. My Dad and Brother have been out Elk hunting a few times, always wished I could have went along. Now it might be getting too late and too expensive.

Iowa and Illinois are tough to beat. Tags are higher now than they used to be, but in Iowa you only get drawn every 2 or 3 years. Iowa public ground for bowhunting is better than a lot of Minnesota private ground, and we either pitch a tent or sleep in the truck when money is tight. Not a cushy hunt but well worth the trade-off for the hunting opportunity. Being bowhunters, we try to hunt elsewhere when the gunbanging is going on, and it happens to coincide with peak of the rut so you get to experience that as well.

I almost went and hunted south dakota this year. worked out there all fall laying pipe for the rural water in chamberlain. Lots of deer muley and whitetail. Seen real nice bucks with in a short distance of town. Saw somereally nice ones shot. That is my first choice to go if I went to another state. Oh yah one of the rural water guys out there told me I could come hunt his land anytime I would like s thats another big reason why to.