• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

Patience, it's almost time to start looking about 15-20 days to wait. I have had antlered bucks on camera up to April 2nd the few years I actually left it out that long. Basically it's almost not quite but like the new growth pushes off the old. In other herds the horns are off and have been for awhile.

My wife and I walked a small woodlot next to a cut cornfield yesterday. We walked 20 feet apart gridding the woods and she picked up 5 to my 0! A decent 8pt match set and then 2 other 4 sides. Warm weather and snow melting out here, its go time!

Sorry for the stupid question but I need some help. I'm not an avid deer hunter, I go every year but more for the experience and to spend time with my dad. I really like being in the woods and looking for sheds, but I have had no luck. I just started last year and have been out for probably 20 hours total. I live in the metro and have been looking in some big preserves that I know hold a lot of deer. I'm seeing a ton of sign but not much sign from bucks. From some research I've done and talking with people that know the area, there should be some good bucks around. I know to look for bedding areas, fences, creeks, etc. just more curious about bucks wintering behaviors. So my main questions is where to go. Do I just need to get deeper into the woods into more secluded areas or is there something specific I should be looking for that will hold the bucks in the winter. Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any input.

If those areas are in the metro, you would probably have to go in every single day starting Janurary to make sure your the one who gets the sheds. I don't know for sure, but I would assume there's lots of other people looking in there. The best areas for me year after year are woodlots next to a good food source. To break it down further, the sheds are almost always on the south faceing side of a tree line, hill, or single tree. This time of year it is really noticable, those spots will have no snow, while areas that are shaded most of the time will still be piled with snow.

It's best to get on some private land or be the first one in if going into well known public lands. A lot of farmers outside the cities might not let you hunt, but they might be willing to let you just walk and pick up sheds.

One for sure tip if asking permission on private lands: dont ask if you can "shed hunt", just ask if you can walk the land to look for deer antlers. We have ran into some farmers in Northern MN and ND that cringe at the word "hunt", but don't really understand the fascination with antlers so they said no just because of the word "hunt".

We ran through another good spot last night. Last year in this spot we picked up 14-15 freshies and a couple olds. This year I only found 1 old and 1 forkie fresh. Almost the same amount of awesome sign as last year. We did see a buck carrying both sides still, so only thing I can think of is we were early. Plan to go back in 2-3 weeks

First pic is the deer I shot this year.  A neighboring landowner sent the pic to me a while back.  The next 3 buck are all from the last couple weeks, and they are showing up almost everyday.  Good to see a few made it through the season.

trail camera.jpg

MFDC7456.JPG

MFDC7592.JPG

20151116_194019.jpg

OOP's, That post was meant for the trail camera thread.

Wow thats cool that they all shed like that.  

My wife and I went scouting in a big coolie that we hunted last fall.  Saw what looked like a 2.5yr old with both sides.  Our dog picked up a 4 side yearling shed, very bloody base, fresher than a daisy!  I was pumped, first shed of the year and the 2nd solo find for the dog.

Nice work on the dog!!  Always thought that would be cool.

I didn't have much time to look on Saturday and I didn't know that they had mostly shed their antlers because I hadn't viewed the trail cam yet.  One of the bigger 8's shed on Wednesday, so its likely his antlers aren't far away.  If it does't snow this week I'll spend more time looking this weekend. If the storm tracks north it'll be a couple months probably.

To the newbie shed hunters realize like where I live in MN the bucks start end of December primarily January shedders and where I hunt/ have land it's primarily end of February into March and this holds true year in year out. Is there the random buck that defies that of course, majority not. Trailcams have really pin pointed that down. I used to shed hunt way too early and figured I was just missing the horns. T Cammed a bunch of Winters and was like oh boy, still got fully racked bucks in March no wonder. Where I live here a guy showed me his shed buck he killed as a doe during muzzy last year so deny pushing rifle back pushing muzzy back and the potential for a separate cross bow season say no we don't want shed bucks tagged as doe's as like he said I probably passed on him during rifle now he's dead, what a waste but the veni will taste good.

On 2/2/2016 at 3:15 PM, O.T.C. said:

To the newbie shed hunters realize like where I live in MN the bucks start end of December primarily January shedders and where I hunt/ have land it's primarily end of February into March and this holds true year in year out. Is there the random buck that defies that of course, majority not. Trailcams have really pin pointed that down. I used to shed hunt way too early and figured I was just missing the horns. T Cammed a bunch of Winters and was like oh boy, still got fully racked bucks in March no wonder.

I once shot a buck in Dec that already shed and know of a few who lost their horns while dragging them out in Dec.  On the other hand, two of the biggest bucks I've ever seen were running together 1st week in April. Both were still wearing their headgear.

Ramsey area still have antlers, yesterday I almost hit an easily 170+ deer coming home down alpine which was crazy because somehow I was thinking that I was going to hit one and I was saying to myself if I hit a one I would have to call my friend to bring his truck since I was in my car. Go around a bend in the road and this brute pops out of the pine trees. I turned around quick to get a picture but right when I got my phone out he darted back.   I need to get some deer whistles I have a hybrid fusion and when the gas motor kicks out you cant hear the stupid thing go down the road. I have never had so many close calls with deer and bikers trying to dart in front of me I have learned to drive slow with windows down and music blaring when kids are out riding bikes.

Hopefully I can find his shed I think he beds down by alpine park.

Quick shed story. Found a nice side March 9th. Looked the immediate area over as hard as I could went north 1/4 mile. getting dark found no others and there was 1 small patch of grass otherwise it was just snow and ice, I nearly tripped in that foot by 2 feet patch of grass call me blind as a bat but kicked the other side out of it and had a match !!!! I had given up hope. Next day found 7 sheds new route(s) with one more set matching. Could tell they shedded recently because of the blood on some of them and that they were laying on top of the ice and snow, we got snow about Valentines day and it had melted down some yet the antlers were not frozen in at all really. I like a slow thaw at antler time with no new snows or it can really bunk it out as late as they shed because the big thaw isn't far away so I'd prefer the early places you get a much longer time to hunt em. 

last year around my house I saw deer with head gear well into March and even a couple in the first week of April!!  All about the food supply in the area...the deer I saw last year were on the edge of residential areas were they are well fed all year round

Co-worker just was showing me 11 different bucks he took pictures of on V-day. Iphone from his dads window/ bird feeder in the north metro area. 2 were incredible 12 pointers. Told him let me know when the first one sheds.

PS. What was weird a little to me is some were there at noon, 2, 4 etc. times of day.