• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

A few finds since yesterday. Many bucks still toting both sides as of last week here.

The chewed up shed was a nice one but guessing from last year since all tines and the main beam down to the G2 were eaten. The deadhead is super old obviously.

IMG_20170221_172308654.jpg

IMG_20170222_150757416.jpg

IMG_20170221_165210824.jpg

Edited by Lunker

Lunker: I see your pup in the background, is he/she a shed dog?

I'm getting a new puppy in March and want to train him to shed hunt. Wondering how many people have shed dogs and looking for resources for the training.

thanks.  

MCI:

Sorry, but Waylon's only interests in life are ducks and my dirty laundry. I didn't start really getting into the shed hunting until recently so I didn't train him for it. I will probably do so with my next pup. He just tags along.

With the increase in popularity of shed hunting there is plenty of information out there. I know a few shed dogs and I know it's not as easy to get them excited about old bone then about a nice stinky duck, but definitely possible. The guys I know also compete in local shed competitions (staged courses) , so if you look into that type of thing there should be a group of guys with a lot of knowledge.

I am up to 27 in ND so far.  Waiting for more snow to melt.  Cold weather and deep snow makes the deer really group up out here and makes for easy shed hunting, but is really tough on the deer.  The 4th pic is one from some round bales that the deer were destroying earlier this year.  

The biggest I find year to year is generally around that mid 60" range.  And I found that one (first pic) in early Janruary.  So hopes of finding a bigger one this year is low haha.

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

Here is the dead head from this year all cleaned off before bleaching.  When I set it down next to the dead head from last year I noticed a significant difference in the number of holes in the skull right next to the eye sockets.  Does anyone have any idea why this would be?  I'm just curious... thought it was a little odd.

20170430_203044.jpg

20170430_203054.jpg

It's actually just the opposite.  I know the top one was young/immature, about 3, per tooth aging.  I'm no pro at that, but I did have history with that one to back it up.  The bottom head is a mystery deer I found while fishing on the St. Croix.  I would guess its older just because of the skull size difference.

They did come from different areas, but similar.  They were both found in areas with a lot of AG and timber to hide out in. There may not be any significance to the differences, I just thought it was odd.