• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early (when we were young) jobs

genegodawa

OK, so Memory Lane is good for all of us....it was a simpler time with NO/LIMITED RESPONSIBLILITY!

My early jobs were:

1. Delivered afternoon newspapers from grade through High School (they used to have both morning and afternoon editions) pre-internet you know. My sister and I kept the 3-block route for over 9 years....nobody before us had it for more than 3! But collecting was a pain at times.

2. Stock clerk in a shoe store: I was the "Executive Vice President in Charge of Total Inventory Stratification"

3. Selling shoes - only Men's at Florsheim - always wanted to get into the women's store 'cause I was young and horny. Now, I'm old and horny.

4. One college summer in the factory where my Mom worked as a Warehouseman keeping the assembly line stocked with material.

5. Another summer in the Oil refinery factory where my Dad worked for 37 years also as a Warehouseman/Janitor keeping stock neat and cleaning up oil spills so the forklifts wouldn't wipe out.

6. When I got out of college, and it took me 5 months to get my first real job, I had 3 at once:

Delivering pizzas for cash/tips,

Sellng shoes, and

Umpiring men's 16 inch softball and Little League games.

Made more in cash for that summer than I made on my first real job as an auditor for an insurance company.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first job was loading the wagon for the farmer that did the baling of hay. $.50/hr. I also resurfaced his barn roofs with tar.

Then after high school, I beat the draft and joined the Navy.

Right out of the Navy, I went to work in a plastics factory on the dock...$2.62 per hr.

In '69 I went to work where I am now, had 3 promotions and now am waiting for April. or sooner. They are offering me a 39 week buyout. grin

My first "real" job was the janitor of the Fanny Farmer candy store in the Crystal shopping center. $1.40 and all the candy I could eat grin It paid for my Remington 870 Wingmaster and the ski trip to Thunder Bay in 9th grade. From there I quit to go to the Crystal Steak house to wash dishes,bus tables and cook the texas toast for a $1.60. The steak sandwiches were great and working for the Greek owners made it some of the most fun plus I learned some great swear words in Greek grin

I remember when I was 12 and having to walk beans all day for $12. Minimum wage back then was like $2 an hour. Young people these days have absolutely no idea, walking beans is non existant anymore. I remember I was so jealous of a few friends because they got to "ride beans".

My first job was picking cucumbers from a machine. You layed on your stomach, steered with you feet, and threw the cukes on a tray underneath you. Got a whopping $.48 an hour. After that I set pins in a bowling alley after school and weekends. Got $.10 a game for that. Then I mowed lawn at a cemetary for @2.16 an hour.

Worked at the docks in Milwaukee a couple of summers. Don't remember what the hourly wage was but you got paid each day and the checks were for around $25 to $30 depending on if you worked any OT. That was big money at the time.

My first job was at Tomahawk Scout Reservation for a summer when I was 15, my second was at Bruegers bagels, my third was at Al johns beach shops, my fourth was at Kodak Processing Labs over North Minneapolis, my fifth was overnights at the Amaco on Hamline and University (and occasionally at Dale and Como), and my sixth was Janitor at First Baptist Church Downtown, my seventh was at a different company in the same field as I have been working for the past 10 years... that brings me to 31 years old.

I remember when I was 12 and having to walk beans all day for $12. Minimum wage back then was like $2 an hour. Young people these days have absolutely no idea, walking beans is non existant anymore. I remember I was so jealous of a few friends because they got to "ride beans".

zamboni - we still walk beans here, as well as corn. We have to hire migrant workers, since the kids in the area don't want to walk beans anymore.

First job was working nights at a hospital putting patient records in the charts so the doctors would have them right away in the morning. Had to push around a copy machine all night.

Second job was at Jewelmont in Golden Valley, matching stones in earrings, putting on the ear nut (back of the earring), and putting them on the little card that goes in the boxes. To this day, I cannot wear earrings if the color of the stone does not match, or they are too different in size.

After that, I was a receptionist at a retirement community until I got married and left the Cities. Loved that job, mostly because the residents were great.

My first job was working on a tree farm for one day when I was 12. I made 120 bucks in one day. that was great. Then I work on a couple of dairy farms, retail store and then where I work know I have been working at the same place for nine years

Gotta go with you on that one. I'm almost 30 and I go help my father in law walk beans because he can't get any kids to do it anymore. Not a bad way to make extra money.

My first job was working at a convenience store. Quit for a short time to work at Minntac while in college and when my hours were done there back at the store. Now I'm a printer in southern minnesota.

Quote:
My first "real" job was the janitor of the Fanny Farmer candy store in the Crystal shopping center.

I was thinking about my first job when I read your post and had to laugh because the first job I had was a janitor at Fanny Farmers also but in St. Paul at Hgihland Village. I was in the 8th grade.

Mike

My first job was in the pop shop, we were still bottling pop in 10 oz glass bottles back then and we'd sort the old returned bottles and send them through the washer and through the fillers and then you'd load them into the wooden cases and send em out to go on pallets. Rotated all day from the front to the back etc. Did that from 7:30 in the morning until 4:00 at night and then we'd load the trucks when the route guys came back. Usually got done about 7 at night. After several years of that I got "promoted" up to helping in the service department instead of bottling. Drive around all day fixing vending machines or fountain pop machines and installing and removing them too. Still had to load trucks when I got back, but getting out of that bottling room was NICE. You wouldn't believe how disgusting some of those bottles came back in, I never will understand what people did with them...

My brother and I always joked we were the only two guys we knew who were always looking forward to school to start again after a hot summer doing that stuff.

My first job was on a truck farm at 13 for .35 hour. Long grueling days, and it was hard work. I didn't last too long, the heat really got to me. Second jobs were babysitting, that too stunk. Third job was in a candy shop in the Dayton Radisson Center downtown MPLS. Spent about 3 years doing temp jobs for Employers Overload. Actually most of the jobs I have had in my life have been pretty crappie.

Quote:
My first "real" job was the janitor of the Fanny Farmer candy store in the Crystal shopping center.

I was thinking about my first job when I read your post and had to laugh because the first job I had was a janitor at Fanny Farmers also but in St. Paul at Hgihland Village. I was in the 8th grade.

Mike

At a $1.40 an hour and 10 hours a week =$14.00-taxes = 12.58 take home plus all the candy I ate grin

I started the summer between 8th and 9th grade but the MGR was our neighbor.

Quote:
At a $1.40 an hour and 10 hours a week =$14.00-taxes = 12.58 take home plus all the candy I ate

I started the summer between 8th and 9th grade but the MGR was our neighbor.

If I remember right I only lasted a couple of weeks once they found out how old I was. It was my brother's job before me and I started working without filling out an application. Once I filled out the paper work and they saw how old I was they had to let me go. I do remember eating a lot of candy. Almond bark was one of my favorites.

Fun thread...

First Job, was delevering Papers for the Star Tribune. Started in 6th grade(my mom helped me) and did it all through high school. Waking up at 2am every morning from 6th grade on was not easy...

Second Job- I built Fruit baskets for Byerlys. Go ahead and make jokes, its funny.

3rd Job- In college, I worked for a sporting goods store...

3rd Job- In college, I worked for a sporting goods store...

Did you ever bring a check home Dietz? I always wanted to do that but never did get a job like that as we had screwy every other day scheduling that made scheduling work all but impossible. I'm sure I wouldn't have brought any money home but man would I have had STUFF!!!