• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"friend" of mine is poaching

PmDavis300

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of big talk about "turning him in" here........

Wonder how many of them are on the phone with the State Patrol when their buddy leaves the house after having 4 beers? LOL

If it bothers YOU that much, turn him in. The decision is yours. If the guy is a true friend, I might talk to him an explain my displeasure with his antics. Maybe he'll listen....maybe he won't.

Is a metro deer worth having ticked off neighboors(friends?), that may or may not want to "get even" with you? If he does get pinched, are you going to be able to keep being friends, or atleast neighboorly with him?

If it bothers you that much, turn them in. Your the guy that's gotta look at himself in the mirror everyday.

It's your decision, and you've gotta live with it one way or the other.

Good luck.

I agree with Chub 100%

Originally Posted By: dtro
I think you call TIP and even though they might not be able to do anything now, they can be ready next time and catch him in the act. Pretty tough to pin it on you then.

I agree with dtro. I don't know what they can do now, but maybe keep an eye on him in the future. Guys like that you don't need to call a friend either. And if he does retaliate, call the cops.

Agree with both above, but also go right to the guy and say that what is done is done, but if i see it happening again i will not hesitate to call the CO. Then he is in full disclosure and his actions will determine his own fate, and he cannot blame you for any of it.

On the flip side, what if you don't talk to him, but do turn him in and he gets caught/fined. If he doesn't suspect you, he'll probably talk to you about getting caught. Then what do you say? That conversaion might be even more awkward than talking to him about it now. You'll have to decide for yourself what kind of "friend" this neighbor of yours is. In my opinion, talk to him about the ramifications of his actions and if you hear about it again, you'll turn him in.

You do know that administration of this HSOforum can find out who you are and the address of the computer you type on and report you right? In which you may be questioned at your home by proper authorities. I doubt they will go that far, but they could. You are just as guilty as your neighbor if you know this is happening and choose not to do anything.

TURN HIS A$$ IN! i wouldnt think twice even if he was my neighbor....its guys like this that give the rest of us a bad name...so im doin everything i can to keep my hunting rights!!! just tell them you want to remain unidentified and if he asks act like a an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly and be like what are you talking about,like you know nothing! non-the-less TURN HIM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I"m not gonna read the previous 3+ pages cause there is only one answer.

Call the CO directly or call TIP. You can remain anonymous. Its a hard decision to make, but if you do nothing that you are allowing it to go on just as much as anyone else involved.

2 years ago I had permission to hunt private land with my bow. On the eve of gun season, I was out with my bow. A neighbor who had permission to hunt the gun season showed up and dragged 100lbs of corn into the woods and baited his stand. I called it in cause its illegal and I thought it was unfair to me.

I took a chance. I was the only person not involved who knew about it. They got ticketed and the CO found that they had 4 other baited stands in the area all with hunters on them. I lost my permission to hunt there and I was threatened if I ever come back.

I lost a great hunting spot, but at least I didn't lose my morals and my dignity. You don't want to be friends with someone who condones that kind of behavior.

OKay, so I read the 3 pages.

Doing nothing is the wrong thing. If you want to confront him first, then you can do that. He already has broken several laws. If you think you can prevent him from doing it again, you're mistaken, but its worth a shot. There's no way he doesn't know its illegal, so its not like you're gonna tell him something he doesn't know.

I am a little perturbed by the comments that just cause its a metro deer and who cares anyway.....It doesn't matter. Its against the law, several of them in fact. Its a slippery slope.

Calling the cops on your buddy who left your house drunk......probably not, but maybe you would ask him to stay longer and sober up or get him a ride. If your buddy leaves and kills someone you could be held liable if he was drinking at your house and you let him leave noticably drunk. That is a risk you run. Whats harder to face in the mirror? Telling your buddy he's too drunk or telling a judge its not your fault your buddy is a drunk?

I am a little perturbed by the comments that just cause its a metro deer and who cares anyway.....It doesn't matter. Its against the law, several of them in fact. Its a slippery slope.

Powerstroke is right on - especially with the quote above - I wonder if whomever made the original statement about the "metro buck" would care more if this same poacher illegally kills a deer on his land next year. I'm only a bird hunter so the deer poplulation doesn't affect me much but if my brother (and hunting partner/best friend) kills a bunch of geese on Phalen I'm turning him in... PERIOD.

I just read in Field and Stream that only 3% of Americans hunt - we're in an uphill battle against Anti's and PETA as it is. If a hunter can't do the right thing and follow the law he gives the rest of us a bad name and doesn't deserve the privilege of hunting.

Sorry, I'm off my soapbox now but I don't have time for lawbreakers.

Calling the cops on your buddy who left your house drunk......probably not, but maybe you would ask him to stay longer and sober up or get him a ride. If your buddy leaves and kills someone you could be held liable if he was drinking at your house and you let him leave noticably drunk. That is a risk you run. Whats harder to face in the mirror? Telling your buddy he's too drunk or telling a judge its not your fault your buddy is a drunk?

So sunday, after the game, the six pack gone and a friends BAC at .081, you'd probably not call the cops, but you would turn him in if he zipped a deer over bait in Vadnais Heights.......LOL

Not trying to start an argument here, but if the guy is your friend, most "normal" friends just may try to talk with him first. If he's just a neighboor, let him have it.

At any rate, like I said before, if the guy can't sleep at night over thoughts of the illegal activity, have the guys ticket punched. If he is a true friend, have a heart to heart with him and tell him what you think. If he gets angry, and ends the friendship, it's just that much easier to call TIP.

All you have to do is call you local CO or the one in the area that he is hunting and have them go bust him while he is hunting...we dont need any of those guys out wrecking the good name that some of us try to give to sportsman

If you believe it is wrong you call it in and he finds out so what you did what you thought is right.

The fact you are asking it says to me you don't think it is bad enough to ruffle his feathers. I have no problem myself with killing metro deer by baiting, I have watched the DNR do it for years then dump the deer. People see laws broken all day and do nothing.

Personally, I would call the C.O. directly. That way you can say that you don't want to be identified. I'm sure that there is plenty of planes that fly over in that area, and given that is how they find 90% of people baiting, he would never know.

That being said, I do not have a problem with sticking a few deer in the metro area. There are sure enough to go around. When I'm driving on the parkway less than 1 mile from downtown Minneapolis and almost tank 2 in one shot with the truck, there is a need for more hunting. However, you still have to do it legally.

I read all five pages. If you want the activity to stop, and you want to take the heat off of yourself for turning him in here is an idea. After he has been gone for the day at work or whatever go over to his house. Tell him that while he was away a CO stopped by and was asking you questions about his deer hunting behavior/ethic. Tell him that you "played dumb" and did not let on that you had any info. Make sure you emphasize what a horrible ethical dillema his actions put you in.

As far as calling the CO, that is up to you. I would do it in a heartbeat. I work my butt off during the season and in the off season to put myself in a position to take a decent deer. I would not tolerate this behavior from a friend, or a hunting partner.

On the other hand, I probably would not call the cops on my buddy who is leaving a get together after having 4 beers, but I might have a hard time looking his family in the face if he gets killed in a car accident.

No matter what you do, your neighbor will probably be baiting again next year. He will just try to do it "smarter". Ethics aren't something that can be fixed by getting a ticket. I am guessing this is not the only unethical/lazy thing he does.

My $.02

Holy cow I have been watching this thread ever since it was started. I have posted my opinion and almost everyone feels the same way. Just call the CO and get him busted and get the entire situation solved. Just do it. Don't say well I will just later. Three frogs sit on a log and one decides to jump how many are left? Three he said he would do it. It doesn't mean he will. What I am trying to say is make up your mind on what you want to do and follow through it with and just get it done.

Would let it slide this time. Is the area so covered with deer that they are stepping out infront of cars daily??? In suburban areas that are pushing limits on hunting anyway I guess I wouldn't care. Chances are he may have saved a bikers life. Yea, its not sporting and everything else. The guy is a slob and an embarrasment to all of us but how is it really effecting us???

I really want to say nail the (fowl language) but if there isn't any competition in the area and the deer are out of control whats the harm??? Our tax dollars will eventually have to hire a wildlife techniction to fly overhead in a copter to blast the things. Its already happened in the plymouth/corcoran area.

Wonder how many of them are on the phone with the State Patrol when their buddy leaves the house after having 4 beers? LOL

I always thought it took 5 beers before you were drunk... smile Must have been chugging!

If this is your neighbor and you have to live with him for the next 20 years, I'd be careful about what I report. Nothing worse than a neighbor fued. The guy will probably keep on doing it, and in the same spot. Next Aug I'd call the local CO and report your suspicians and then let the CO watch for him during the season. The guy gets caught and its real hard to track back to you. If the guy talks to you, just say that you've heard they're really cracking down on illegal baiters, that they're actually doing airplane checks, pretty easy to see a yellow pile of corn. And then the punchline - Are you going to stop baiting now?