• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008/09 Ice fishing Reports

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay - My last spot I drilled was 3 1/2 inches so between last night and tonight it should all be good. Just ask the guys who went yesterday, the ice was SCREAMING at us all day and let out a happy moan when we drilled a hole to relieve the pressure to make more.... LOL I love fishing on the clear black ice and you can watch your fish swim between you legs (under the ice) when you set the hook.

OMG.... the Ice making those sounds.... I can't stand it.... Pucker factor goes WAY up!!!!!

Does anyone have an spare trap and flasher or any kind of shelter for my buddy, he wants to go but with 20 mph winds I don't think that would be a good first time experience for him. Call me at 315-243-0191 and if I don't answer leave a message and I'll call you right back.

Thanks

Lee

OK so I'm a little hyper, I feel like a druggy who needs to get his fix. I want to get out the ice sooooo bad, but I need to wait for Thunder so he can teach me the ropes. I think Saturday he has plans, so I hope Sunday will be the day. Seems the more I read about guys on the ice and catching fish the more I want to go.

crazy

Tim, just want to thank you for setting me up with Wheeler. The LX-5 is like new and at a great price to boot!! Thanx Again, AL

Well got out on delta today. Set up in the backset not knowing how the main lake was,low and behold someone blew by us and went out to the main lake so we watched them for a while and paked up and headed out. To my surprise there was 6 inches of ice out there.we piked up a couple eyes ,didnt kill em but was nice being out in the middle of the lake again...

Nice job on the "Tape" today guys...

Looks like we are out for tomorrow. With this snow comming down im gonna have to deal with snow clean-up at work in the am. But Tank and I have another new lake south of the border to drill apart in the afternoon.

Today Him, Billy, and myself hit WP for the afternoon. And just like Delta it blew. We picked up 3 nice perch - 2 at 11 and one huge one I got a pict of. We also caught 4 small 8 inch eyes, a few small perch and one nice smallmouth. Oh and Tank got the lone crappie - a chip that went maybe 3 inches. Our spot was still a tad too murky from the river pumping into there...

Biggest perch of the season for us FMer's... shockedwhistlecool

p1022664me3.jpg

Oooopsie, the tape measurer must have moved...

Actually a solid 13.5er grin Ok, ladies the bar is set whos gonna pull one pushing that 14 inch mark, or bigger? Not that it mattered but she attacked a purple Maki...

p1022662wd9.jpg

Nice pictures Jay and I know you'll have a few pics from venture south with Tank, sounded like some quality perch.

Lee, CNY Bruce, Tuzzy, Todd, Jimmy, Kyle and I went North againa nd found a solid 6" of black ice and caught alot of medioum sized gills with a few decent ones, we each caught a few fish to keep us busy but we didn't do much with the crappies and no northerns. We packed up around 12 p.m. and went home and I just got done snowblowing 5' of snow from last night.

Here's the pics...

Todd at the gas station goofin with the camera...

1001332ev5.jpg

Here's 3 of Kyle's early fish... Caught more true bluegills today than the other day smile

1001334wm6.jpg

1001336qe5.jpg

Here's what we mostly caught...

1001337mx9.jpg

More medium sized and some above...

1001339pl4.jpg

Caught a bunch on the brown Maki with red flake and some on the white Maki as well..

1001340ei4.jpg

1001342tn7.jpg

1001343my0.jpg

A nice largie and Jimmy caught one too but unfortunately it didn't make it on my memory card mad

1001341uc3.jpg

Jmmy's nice 9" sunny and they were few and far between..

1001346dd7.jpg

Tuzzy scores a nice crappie! We only caught a couple of them... frown

1001345jn2.jpg

The last one is Todd's nice gill..

1001348ud9.jpg

Sorry CNY Bruce your nice sunny pic didn't make it on the card either frown

Nice fishing with you Lee and the rest of yous guys... Fun trip...

Back form our southern adventure. We rolled into the lake we initally planned on fishing around 1030 only to find "icefishing prohibited" signs posted up. 2 other guys were standing there reading the signs and we started chatting with them. Soon they invited us down the road to another lake in the area that they fish. It looked promising, 30-35 acres and they said theres nice fish in there. We covered some ground and had a good day on some real nice fish. Couldn't move as much as i'd liked to have, we were slowed down by 20-30 mph winds but we ended up with 25 perch 10-13 inches. Also we caught 6 gills, only 6 but they were 9 1/4 to just shy of 10 inches! Couildnt really establish any solid pattern or area. Fished 9 fow to 29 feet. Most of the fish came in the 18-20 ft range. Didn't even scratch a quarter of the lake so it looks real promising. Only one or two dink perch plus a few small pickerel also. The fish were real aggressive when you marked them but for some reason we lost alot of fish today either at the hole or when you rolled em...

p1032666ta7.jpg

This ones a two hander...

p1032665ps8.jpg

Thick healthy fish...

p1032667lx2.jpg

Sounds like everyone had a good morning up north also cool

Now that's some nice bluegill right there... Great report Jay. It's too bad Dad lost that nice crappie at the hole, that would have finished your phot's off in fine fashion. Really dark perch. Big dark green perch and only 50 min. away, you'll be back there soon.

Well with a serious case of the chill's and not feeling good I decided to stay close to home. I was going to fish the contest that Kevin R had set up down in Sullivan Co. but was afraid that I might not make it throught the day. I should have chanced it. Anyways, Yesterday I did real well on a lake with good gill's in it. Turned all those back and ended up cleaning 5 real decent perch. Today I went to West Point and ended up cleaning 30+ perch and threw a whole bunch back.

Timmy, its on down here! Head that van South and bring the guy's.

Tight Lines all,

Steve

Gizmo - Your relative works with Frank, Kyle, Tuzzy, Joe, Jimmy and I at the lag, hmmm who could that be?

Fished Oneida with Lee, Steve, Todd and rookie sensation Sniper07 or Al. It was pretty slow and between Todd, Al and myself 17 nice gills I had one 10" and a couple 9 1/4" or better.

Al's first trip of the season of course was a learning experience and we gave him a enough information to get his LX-5 flasher set-up and naturally he had gotten a kick out of staring at the screen and didn't react until it was too late on one nice gill but he stroked another couple besides the one pictured. I hope you enjoyed it Al, I know that drag off the ice you were chugging hard pulling Todd's old trap. Isn't Todd's old hyfax something special Al. whistle

Here's the pics and no casualties this time as they all made it on the memory card...

This pig smacked a swillow that AugustWest gave me, thanks Doug winkcool

1001356rv4.jpg

This is when I realized after landing this fish that my tip splintered and cracked underneath my Power Noodle crysickshocked

1001354im0.jpg

There were a couple of nice true blue's caught like Lee holding these two.

1001353ka6.jpg

Todd caught these dandies early..

1001350ga8.jpg

Al got his first Modern Ice fishing experience with this nice sunny! cool I hope your hooked Al and it was fun fishing with you and the guys today... grin

1001352qd5.jpg

Of course every trip I have to catch largies, not one but two and the last one was a 5 1/2 pounder cool

1001355we9.jpg

What a fight..

1001349mc3.jpg

Todd and I also had some huge northerns on and I had mine on for over 5 min. before I lost it right at the hole and Todd didn't have his on very long at all. It was fun wrestling with that toothy with my new meatstick, it can take the big fish, no problem.

Tim, I bet the bass pro elite guys would like to have that one to weigh in during the tourney cool.

Al, It was nice to have you on the ice and fishing a few more times out and you will be a PRO greenhorn whistle.Hopefully we can find some ski's to put over the top of those hyfax and maybe the next time I will have some ice tea to drink instead of LAKE WATER crycrywink.I hope moma likes the sunny's and bluegills.

Lee, it was a pleasure to fish with you again and to meet your friend steve I am sure we will be doing it again soon.

Me,My 2 sons and there friend fished edewater from 6-10 with 1 white perch really sucked!So I proceeded to yellow tape where we crushed the gills and crappie.Crappie started early today around 2:30 we left @ 5. Kids had a blast! My 13 yr old has never been into ice fishing,but after today he wants ice fishing gear for his Bday! wink He's hooked smile

Great story Chris! I love it when kid's put down the videos games and get in to this awesome sport. Sounds like a nice ending to the day. Sometimes a move to a different lake can make the difference... Hooking a kid is great! Nice report Chris grin