• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008/09 Ice fishing Reports

I might not be able to make it frown

I was just notified by the ACF(American Culinary Federation) that I am up for Chef Of the Year for the NY Chapter.The fact that I am a Professor now, has sparked interest in the Federation. I have to do a course for the "Great Chef's Dinner" in March and my pressence is needed at the Oncenter on Monday the 12th @ 3pm. I may be able to postpone this...but...this is a HUGE Honor and a Bluegill won't help my Resume the way this award will, if you know what I mean cool

I will let you guys know my decision as soon as I can. This is an opportunity of a lifetime smile

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Doug! Knock ‘em dead!

Ok, I have to fish the DC’s favorite lake in Rome tomorrow morning. It will be my first time out this year so at least I’ll get to shake the rust off. I've never ice fished there before, and haven't fished there in over 20 years. Any advice other than go somewhere else?

Tim, should I bring my tip-ups? laugh

I have a quick question? Why all the code names on here for lakes? With such a small amount of NYer's is the lurking that bad over here? I asume Yellow Tape is Cazenovia Lake. cause of the tape that was blocking the parking awhile back. I could be wrong. I usually am. Just seems weird that you use code words on a site that is supposed to be informative and helpfull to ice fishing.

not trying to be a pot stiring new guy but I thought this site was different that IS.

I fished Braddocks Bay Tuesday and got 4 perch over 10 inches and a bunch of dinks. All came on Maki's. Something new he gave me at the Gander Mountain in Henn. at a ice fishing seminar. Name is the toni? Its white and looks kinda like the Stoni. but it was all they wanted. Tried 5 differnt kinda of Maki's and they would only bite on this new one. Zero pike on tip ups. and the wind was blowing what seemed like 100mph's. Ice was good 4-5 inches solid black.

I believe the code names are used sometimes to protect the smaller bodies of water we fish from poaching from people the do read these forums. Guess its better to try and protect the waters that maybe be susceptible to over fishing than to not. Bigger waters that everyone know of and fish arent the problem. There needs to be a little trust factor before you go tellin someone of your prime fish catching spots, know what i mean.

Braddocks bay thats Onterio right, near Rochester? Do you ever get into the walleys out there?

Pike Pounder - Tom... Seeing that your friends with Toni you should know all the spots we fish as he fished the same waters pretty much. Yes Kyle explained it pretty much dead on, you start talking about spots and next thing you know there's fitty guys out there or you can't get parking. We have a NY playbook for our area and usually when we go there's a few guys that go and sometimes the groups are larger and when that happens parking can be an issue. The smaller bodies of waters we fish are 90% or more catch and release or keep smaller sized fish for a fry and let the big ones go. Is it the right thing, who knows but it works for the group here and will continue with it. Bigger lakes such as Canadarago and Oneida we are pretty up front about areas we fish as much as we can. You have to respect spots at times and the individuals that put the work in for those spots. It's reciprocal bottom line.

Fishing to the south today was kinda slow. But the three of us did end up with 20 real nice perch and a half dozen big gills. Tank and Billy stayed in the area we found fish last trip there. I went gonzo and drilled and walked the entire peremiter of the lake fishing 5 to 32 ft of water. Didnt find much good but learned a bunch about the lake...

Heres a pict from the other end of the lake. Those 2 tiny black dots at 1 o'clock are those two where we started...

p1092674fx5.jpg

Got back by them and popped 3 good ones before we left at 1. Including this 13.5er...

p1092676zb0.jpg

As far as the secret thing - we use certain names like "yellow tape" and "C" but its more of a thing we just do than trying to be secretive. Alot of good info to be gleamed from here and if questions are asked more info flows. Spoonfeeding on the internet small or private spots ain't gonna happen. smile

Get to know most of us and you'll get the shirts were wearing... cool

Went to Yellow Tape this morning and just as I started getting into them a little my other half calls me from her work and says I need to run her to Urgent Care. Managed to get back out there around 2:30 or so and was getting decent action in 10 FOW. Thunder called me and had me move into 13 FOW and I got into them good right up to dark. All in all a good day on the ice.

Pike Pounder - Tom... Seeing that your friends with Toni you should know all the spots we fish as he fished the same waters pretty much. Yes Kyle explained it pretty much dead on, you start talking about spots and next thing you know there's fitty guys out there or you can't get parking. We have a NY playbook for our area and usually when we go there's a few guys that go and sometimes the groups are larger and when that happens parking can be an issue. The smaller bodies of waters we fish are 90% or more catch and release or keep smaller sized fish for a fry and let the big ones go. Is it the right thing, who knows but it works for the group here and will continue with it. Bigger lakes such as Canadarago and Oneida we are pretty up front about areas we fish as much as we can. You have to respect spots at times and the individuals that put the work in for those spots. It's reciprocal bottom line.

I do not know who Toni is. If your refering the the Maki's I was using its what the guy that gave them to me called them. I was just curious is all about the "codes" I dont fish near Syracuse or anywhere even close. I stay to the west. So knowing the lakes you fish is not my priority. I could careless. Like I said I was curious. I used to fish Cranberry pond in Greece daily and once IS started getting bigger so did the crowds there. I dont even fish it anymore. And I hadly fish Braddocks anymore due to the crowds. but my days off at work are Mondays and tuesdays so i dont have to deal with alot of weekend warriors. Soon as my little honeyhole gets enough ice i will be fishing there. Well I have to walk down a creek. Just waiting on that to freeze. And Conesus. Im not a big panfish man. I like those ugly arse Pike.

Braddocks bay thats Onterio right, near Rochester? Do you ever get into the walleys out there?

Nope no eyes there. Just pike,perch and an occational gill(small side) Yes its near rochester in greece. Off the Parkway. Heard someone got a big Brown out of there lastweek also.

Hit ebanks first thing had 4 break offs a couple gills a few slimedarts.Went over to erieville never went on the ice seen a guy haveing trouble with snowmobile in the slushy slop and decided to go to Caz the parking lot was packed.Went to oneida at chapman park allot of shove ice but fairly good walking hardly any snow Ice is 6 to 8 inches of black marked a few fish no takers crazy.

Thunder why don't we go back to Chapman Park Sunday and just try some different spots. At least we don't have to wade through 4" of slop. I truly think the fish are there. Or we can try Caz first thing in the AM, I was marking a lot of fish the day I was there, Let me know either way. All I know is that we can't catch squat sittin at home peeing an moaning that fishing sukz this year.

Fished tusc. till 11:30 2 slob perch 4 dink perch about 2 " long alot of lookers.Had lunch then went to yellow tape walking was decent there better than ebanks and tusc.Gill action was hot ,crappie started @ 4:30 .Alot educated and released.might go to BB in the AM

Congrats doug that's awsome....fished local today, bite slow on the lake we were on but we didn't get out there until late after diging out after the storm. Got some nice perch and my nephew was running after flags so it was all good. We'll see you guys soon enough,later. laugh

Thanks for all the Kudos Boys...I don't know how I do it either? I guess it is all about PASSION for what you love. Everything I do...I do to the fullest...

I am doing Chioggia Beet Sorbet, Golden Beet and Chinese Long Bean Sorbet, Organic Micro Greens tossed in a Black Truffle Vinaigrette with Perigord Italian Truffles($1800 a Pound) for my Great Chef's Dinner!!!!!

I know none of you besides DC knows what that stuff is. If you do...my bad blush

I have a LONG ROAD to make this happen...but, you know I will make it Happen. It should add about 20% to my Salary whistle That's my new truck payment laugh

It was good to see all of you guys on the ice this weekend...this is the first time in 5 plus years I haven't hit the ice on my days off crazy

Sorry Steve...I am trememdously BUMMED I can't make it this time...I look forward for the next invite....I hope?

DC...phone call is coming!!!!!