• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HSO 2008 King of the Cats Contest

DTro

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think a guy could enjoy his time on the top for a little more than 24 hours, eh? Yikes!

I mean, who catches two mid to upper 50lb fish in one month?

I know a lot of us don't want this high water to come down as we've got the bite dialed in. However... it'll be interesting to see who can keep pounding them post spawn with normal summer levels. Its a different game when you are just hoping and praying to see one flathead (any size) in the boat during a night of fishing.

Hit a new spot with WWG tonight, he got a nice 35-ish pounder (another upgrade) measuring at 42.5 x 26.5...we didn't weigh it but that's what the formula says it weighed anyway. The orange monkey was along too. That makes 4 outings in a row (last thursday, friday, monday, today) that there's been an upgrade with the monkey in the boat. I would have to say that's a lucky monkey! I got about a 7 pound dinker. We missed about 5 hook-sets and had another 4 or so that weren't there by the time we picked up the rod -- good thumps too, just dropped it and left a dead bully for us to replace.

John, I think you're going to have to break 40 lbs to upgrade again. It's do or die time. You're in 4th overall without having even 1 fish in the top 10 individual fish. That's crazy action.

One of the slowest weekends in a long time as far as upgrades and entries go. frown

Something tells me an influx of Channel Cats will be inbound shortly cool

A few notes from last night.

Shamu breaks into the top 5 channels

WWG has yet another upgrade without a 40lb fishgrin

Wiskers enters the biggest girth fish I've heard of at 44x34!

I will get the pictures up tonight or tomorrow.

There are definately still some active fish around. I was out by myself and landing a high 30's fish alone is a pretty good time......

I want to see pics of Rusty's basketball. 44x34 is a SOW!!!!!

Yeah Man WWG--- I've had to land all my fish myself this year even that 40lb'r early this year and man was that fun and nerve racking...everytime i go with someone else just the small ones seem to bite, so its been solo trips for awhile...you boat guys are making it hard to keep up!! eek

Well here she is.. I think she was very full of eggs.. Her tummy was just buldging... She was not spewing at all in the boat so they must not be real close to spawn or she just pigged out on some big carp?

Never the less, she was a hog, I wish I would have gotten a better belly shot. My buddy's fish was 41" and 44#. It was also a fat girl.

224450.jpg

224556.jpg

Holy bejesus, the leaderboard on flatheads had a little shake-up! Nice job, Larry! Where's the pics and the story? Sneaking up like that (sandbagging? wink ) and then we get no story to go with it?

Entries trickled in this long weekend.

I'd like to give a warm welcome to LFC to the current Flathead King roster and a sad farewell to Aanderud grin.

Also yours truly gets bumped from the Channel lead by a persistant Steve D frown. Just remember what it says it that mirror Steve, "Objects are closer than they appear". cool

Thanks again for the participation everyone you are making this a lot of fun for me.

Entries trickled in this long weekend.

Also yours truly gets bumped from the Channel lead by a persistant Steve D frown. Just remember what it says it that mirror Steve, "Objects are closer than they appear". cool

I guess they are closer than they appear. You have my total score wrong by 1/2 a point.

It should read 155.5 and not 156. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Just my luck that you will come back with a nice channel and a 156 total score and take back the lead by 1/2 a point. I'll be watching my rear view mirror very closely.

I think the Lake St Croix channel cat bite is going to take off pretty soon - the shad schools are starting to show up. July is a good month to drift for channels. I've added something different to my drifting technique that seems to be working good but I may not share it with you since you are slinking around waiting to take the lead away.

I would never question your math Steve, but in all seriousness which fish of your three is wrong on the leaderboard?

I have you down for:

34x22.5

30X18.5

33X18

Sorry, Darren. I went back into my fishing journal and your entries are correct. I had listed the 30" X 18.5" in my channel log as 30" X 18". Your numbers are correct -

MY BAD!! or should I say my good. I'll hold on tight to that extra 1/2 a point. Thanks

Steve

Time to get my butt in gear and get back in the top 5 flats. One more over 40# would look real good. I had some pig channels in my boat this weekend, but I did not catch any of them unfortunately. It is more fun to be the net man for a friend who doesn't fish much anyway.

Ed, you are I have been pretty stale on the flathead board. We both need upgrades, I think. People are passing us left and right. Want to borrow the orange upgrade monkey?