• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

From everything I've heard and read, even if you are not divorced, have your wife sign a permission slip. The guys at the border don't know, or for that mater care what your maritial status is, it's just one more simple 30 second task that could eliminate hours of frustration if someone wants to press the point.

I have a DUI about 4.5 to 6 years old. I have since flown into canda through vancouver for a fishing/business trip. I found the border experience to be easier than getting back into the U.S. What should one expect when driving across the border. I am riding as a passenger in a car that has crossed before. I have been invited to a lodge north of the border for free, so I figure why not, but just in case I have decided to bring my car up to the border town just in case. My big question to anyone that can answer. When driving across, what is the process? I heard from the outfitter I went with 3 years ago that flying through Vancouver was tough. Not only did I fly into vancouver, I flew within the country into two different ports and had my passpport scanned at least 6 times and never even got asked anything.

last time my wife and i were coming back from BC, we stopped at tim hortons for some sweets. Well i am at the border agent she asks if we have anthing from canada in the car. i told her only sweet bread, not thinking that she grew up in the midwest and thought they were "sweet breads" That little question took about 10 minutes of clearing up that i meant donuts. She did start laughing at the end pretty hard and told me it was the first time tim hortons has been called sweet breads.

Superbee, Is there a HSOforum that I can confirm that you can bring potatoes? Fresh potatoes in foil on the grill with onion, garlic and alittle butter would be great but not worth any hassles. Thanks for any info.

Just bring a few bags. Worst that could happen is they make you leave them back. A few years ago they used to always ask about potatoes... They haven't asked about them in probably the last 15 times I've crossed the border for the last 3 or 4 years. I brought 10# with two weeks ago when I was up and didn't worry about it. As I suspected, they never asked about them. Superbee knows his stuff, so I would believe him. Otherwise, just call up to the border and talk to someone in person. I know when I go up in 3 weeks I'll be taking a bag or two and won't worry about it one bit.

From the canadian customs HSOforum

2.2.2 Packaged Potatoes from the U.S.

Packaged potatoes are defined as follows: packed in standard packages accepted by the Food of Plant Origin Division (usually 45.4 kg /100 lbs or less); other packages (more than 45.4 kg / 100 lbs) will be considered bulk potatoes.

Exceptions: The import of 4.0 kg (10 lbs) or less per conveyance of packaged potatoes is permitted when commercially packaged and labelled as meeting U.S. No. 1 grade. The certification of State of origin is not required and no other import requirements apply.

Good for you Walleye Champ! But what are you doing on the Canada forum if you have no intention of going to Canada?

Thank you for asking. I was simply checking out some of the other reasons why Americans were denied the ability to spend time and money in their country. And hey, rules are rules and they have theirs. As I was driving up to the border I was thinking, wow , I'm passing a ton of great lakes to get there.. Turns out I was right as I hit a few of them on my way south and smoked the walleyes at each stop! No hard feelings though. I'll just keep my greenbacks on this side of the line.

Yep, lots of hard feelings out there for their rules and ours. It is unfortunate not everyone can go and enjoy what Canada has to offer because of (both country's) rules, but this board isn't the right place to vent. The people who make the rules probably aren't reading this anyway. Do what you got to do to get back up there, i.e. wait it out, fill out the paperwork, or pay the $$...or like you said walleyechamp, there are lots of great lakes here in the US of A.

The people who make the rules probably aren't reading this anyway.

Obviously, Canada has determined that the money entering their economy from certain convicted criminals in US is not worth they what they have deemed a potential problem.

It's funny how mad people get at Canada and their stupid rules, when if they just followed the stupid US rules there wouldn't be a problem.

cygnus

Where did you stay on Eagle? We are going up over the fourth, staying at a resort on "south shore". First time there and first time my wife has been to Canada. How was fishing? What worked?

I just returned home from our trip. We went to Andy Myers Lodge. Nice, clean place. Didn't land my first Musky but saw a few monsters. A friend of mine got a 42 inch jigging for Walleyes. 6 pound floro test and he finally got him to the boat. What a thrill. Walleyes were in about 20 feet of water during the day and were on reefs and flats. I used a minnow on a lindy rig and had pretty good success. Not alot of numbers but many over 20 inch, biggest being 27. At night, try a little shallower in some of the grass beds. I'd be happy to tell you some spots we had luck but I think you are going to be pretty far away, as Andy Myers Lodge is just East of Vermillion Bay.

Again, this whole refusal at the border topic is so gray. My friend who's DUI is now 9 years old, has been going with us for the last 2 years, one year twice, and we have had zero issues and the topic has never even been brought up. This was the first trip (last week) where I actually saw them scan the passports in some type of scanner. Typically, they plop them on the counter and page through the photos and hand them back, proving that they do not always keep a record of who is going in and out of the country. One of the members in our group had a passport that wouldn't scan. Apparently there is a chip inside the passports. The border guard said to have it checked out and sent us on our way. It would be my guess that scanning these passports doesn't put up an immediate red flag to law infractions because if it did, I'm sure my friend would have been questioned, or even worse denied entry. My theory is that if said border guard is having a bad day, you may run into trouble. Sorry to hear that you didn't make it across WalleyeChamp. You are the first person I have seen on these forums who has personally been denied access.

Thanks Cygnus.. It was actually my buddy that didnt make it through but after some thought I do agree with you in that,, if they want to really dig into a guys past they will do exactly that. I've since heard of quite a few people that have been denied for various reasons. Mostly DUI, and some of those have been able to pay a few hundred bucks and they went on their way. Good luck to everyone that's going up there.

from a curious canadian walleyechamp... could you tell me what your friend was convicted for? not looking for a lot of detail, but a lot of things that are considered misdemeanors in the u.s. are considered felonies here.

fair enough.... the problem is that you are at the discression of the officer you get at the booth. The vast majority are seasoned officers, but during the summer they hire a lot of summer help. A lot of these kids get on a big power trip in that job. A previous conviction that a more senior officer would let go, these kids make a huge deal out of. The fruit thing is a back and forth between the 2 governments... the U.S. jacks up the tarriff's on our softwood lumber exports, canada imposes more tarriff's on U.S. fruit, meat and dairy exports. Make it easy on yourself and buy your fruit and veggies when you get to canada. Or if you choose to bring it up from the states, citrus fruits are generally not allowed, and make sure if they have stickers on the fruits, you leave them on. Shows the country of origin on the sticker.

Here is one I can't seem to find.

Can I transport a back-up gun I loan from a friend into Manitoba and back into the US without any hassle? Does the fee you pay for licensing a gun in Canada go up if you bring two guns or is it the same no matter how many guns you bring?

Thanks in advance.