• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

After the announcement of the Tourism Facilitation Action Plan I have heard very little about its sucess or failure, Anyone have any real expierience regarding entering Canada with One DUI and no jail time under the TFAP plan.

whistle

Actually until something firm is in black and white, there is NOTHING currently that is 100%.

Like I posted earlier, multiple phone calls were made and confirmed for our party this past fall, only to find out that the answer given in all cases was wrong.

Until I read differently on an official govt site I will assume it is still up to the discretion of the border agent, whether the offense is 1yr or 20yrs old.

Totally agree DTRo.

Approx 30 years ago I was a bad boy and recieved a DUI.

Since then nothing on my record.

I have talked to I have no idea how many different dept's and others in Canada about crossing the border.

Everytime I call, they want some kind of funds and I will not pay them anything to enter thier country. I could get to the border and then no matter what they explained to me on the phone would mean anything.

Plenty of fish here so all those trips and money OI use to leave in Ontario I guess I leave all to the Mn resorts.

I guess Ontario does not want my funds as I am some type of animal.

So be it.

Yes true 3 calls 3 different answers from Border Crossing Officials. Let me state the quetion a different way:

Anyone actually been allowed or denied access at a canadian border crossing that met the parameters defined in the Tourism Facilitation Action Plan?

Not looking to start a debate on the whole Canada vs US...where we spend our money etc. just real world expierience regarding the action plan.

In 1977 shortly after I got out of the Navy, I had a DUI. In 1993 I had a Class E Federal Felony conviction for Bank Fraud (that's a whole nother story). I crossed at Int Falls in 2007, no problem. (actually when I re-entered the US, the US agent looked at the screen when he scanned my passport, called over another agent and said "Will you look at this.") I have been crossing at Rainey River every year since without so much as a sideways glance. The first year I crossed, we were prepared to fish in MN or places west if I had been turned down. But, I always go up there with a Pickup camper, pulling my own boat. That way I always have the flexibility to go someplace else it things don't work out. Don't know about anything more recent or what the current interpretaions are, but I would go and try. But, if you have the ability, have a contigency plan so your whole trip wouldn't be ruined. A lot of places are open to last minute arrivals just in case.

Here's an idea for someone who wants to run with it. Just throwing it out for some enterprising lad/lass.

Buy a resort up by I'Falls/Rainey (U.S. side). Do NOT take reservations (or if it is big enough take reservations only on half). Charge a little bit more than the going rate (personally I would charge A LOT over the going rate). And call it something like "CAMP (BE) DENIED" (Takeoff on "Can't be denied") or "NOT SO FUSSY/WHINY/XENOPHOBIC RESORT". You could promo it here, go to boat/outdoors shows, etc. Get a slogan: "Stopped at the border? Stop on by." You could call yourself the "Ontario Ministry of the Exterior" (vs the Interior). You could have "Border Guards" at the entrance to just salute/wave through as they drive by (they could also stop cars and ask them silly questions before waving them through. I'm thinking "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen Swallow?"). Or have one of those gates that go across the road that you lift up to let cars through. But, have it broken and hanging over the road. I don't know, it might work.

If people are still wondering about getting into Canada with 1 DUI- a guy that used to go on our annual trips to Canada stopped going after getting a DUI about 8 years ago. When Canada revised the law to allow one time offenders into the country on a trial basis he started going on the trips again with us. He has now crossed the border in both Warroad and Baudette multiple times and not had any issues. In fact he is up there right now. Hope that helps.