• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

Fee is per gun. The best way is to download the paperwork and have it filled out when you get to the border. The officers there are appreciative of the prepared paperwork.

I have a buddy that was charged with "open container" while walking on the sidewalk with a beverage and "obstructing legal process" for refusing to give his name to the police when confronted. Would either of these charges have any effect on being allowed into Canada? I'd hate to have to cancel the annual trip, but rules are rules. Thanks for the help

He told me that he has a court date in a couple months so he hasn't been convicted yet. He was supposedly told that his charge could be lessened or possibly dropped due to him having a perfectly clean record except for this one instance. It seems strange that somthing labeled as a misdemeanor both here AND in Canada could potentially keep him from entering. Hopefully if the charges are lessened/dropped there won't be an issue.

Just crossed at NW Angle over the weekend and got back last night. On the way up, went through Warroad, and had no problems, but 10-12 Canadian "welcome comittee memebers" waiting for us on the Angle Road about 50 feet from the U.S. Border in road-block formation waiting to check us for guns, liquor etc etc. Everything we had was in order, no problems until the RCMP portion of the comittee checked us for seatbelts. Let's get to the short version... WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS! $292.65 is the fine for not having one on.

Hello There,

I know I've asked this before and do apologize but I can't seem to get an answer from anybody on this site, as well as border patrol. Some say yes and some say not so I will give the facts one last time and maybe someone else in may same situation has experienced it and knows. BTW I was able to get in last year when I turned over my passport with no problem (treated worse coming back from the US)but I wasn't driving. Now this year my son wants me to take him up by ourselves, but I am afraid to drive across the border.

When I was 18, back in 1990 I receceved a DWI which was a misdemeanor in the US. Paid $200 and a year on probation and was done and completed in 1991. (Never get off that easy nowadays)

Then in 1998, I received another DWI and again was misdemeanor in the US. $700 and 1yr probation, sentence completed Aug of 1999.

Now 2011, and almost 12 years ago since the last and final one, I've read and been told by border crossing at I-Falls that after 10 years of completed sentence I shouldn't worry. But then a week later a different border guy says I might not be able to come at all because I had 2 DWIs.

I think I might just drive up there, and go shopping as Fort Frances is an hour away for me, and hand them my passport and license and see what happens before I load the boat and reserve a cabin on Lac Seul to just be turned away. That is the only things on my criminal record are them 2 DWIs and it sure bites to have to tell your kid ya can't go because your Dad was think out his hind end back then.

Can anybody help? Thanks again

I know what you mean. I've never had one (DWI) but one of my brothers did 17 years ago and he's afraid to go on a trip with me for fear of not being able to cross the border. He's called around and can't get a real solid answer either. It almost seems like it's a judgement call of whoever you run into on the day crossing the border.

I think doing the Ft. Francis shopping deal sounds like a good trial run.

On the other hand, one of my fishing buddies had a violation many years ago and continually crosses the border with no problems at all. No one ever brings it up so he's certainly not.

Hibbingite, you will not be able to get a straight answer. The problem is that you have been convicted of 2 felonies in the eyes of canadian customs. The trip up to see what happens is a good idea. It all depends on the CBSA agent you get at the booth and the immigration officer you get once they send you inside. They may let you through this time no problem, the next time they might refuse you all together! There is no rhyme or reason to it, no set policy. Just be honest, have your dates of the offences ( which you do.) and look them in the eye. A good amount of time has passed since your last conviction, but you never know. They have been known to charge a 200.00 per visit fee as well.... I'm sorry that I can't give you a firm answer on this, but there just isn't one.

Cam & Greg,

I thank you both for your replies. I guess we'll just load up and go, if they don't let us in, then Kabetogema is right there so we'll just stay home.

I've just heard so many things that 10 years no prob. But hopefully they'll let r slide.

Yes, Honesty does help as well, I know people whom tried to lie and were interrogated for 3 hours just to be turned bac. In the end I have nothing to hide, it is there loss to their economy by not letting people in.

Thanks again

longstory short We used to fish Canada yearly until I accumulated 3 dwi's '97/02/ and 08 needless to say I am sober 3 yrs n went through treatment etc. I wonder if someday Ill be able to fish Canada again,with gas prices $3.60 I cant imagine tourism is what it used to be up there. Maybe some day the rules will loosen up. ( ive been denied access there twice )

I've never had to do anything with my boat to bring it across. I've always just had current registration on it and it hasn't been a problem. Once in a while they'll ask me who owns it. The border crossing really isn't bad at all unless you have something on your record that they don't like. Usually they've just let me right through, but about one in every four times I have to pull over and go inside for them to run my driver's licence. One time, going into Canada, I had the U.S. Customs pull me over before I crossed the bridge. That was a 3 hour deal that included a full blown interrogation in a very dimly lit room with all the shades pulled. They had every last item in our truck ripped apart with a dog running around inside of it. Not much fun.

Definitely check on the boating laws in Canada if you want to save yourself some money in case you get checked. You need so many feet of floating rope, a whistle without one of those peas in it, a waterproof flashlight, bailing bucket, etc... I think you can get the kits at bait shops or Canadian Tire that have everything. Also, no open beers in the boat.

There may be other things the outfitters suggest you have to bring your boat across, so I'd listen to them before me if they pipe in, but they have never asked me for anything at all.

I doubt that will be an issue. If you want the peace of mind (always priceless), bring that documentation or even a notarized statement that you are borrowing it...

Again, all for peace of mind. Chances are about 99.999% that they wouldn't even ask about it.

Gregg52, there is no document a u.s. lawyer can draw up that will get you across. The best thing to do is to try and have your record expunged. As for the boat, if your borrowing it from someone, a short letter from the owner, along with contact info for that person is a good idea. Good for u.s. customs on the way back as well. I really wish there was a set policy on this issue; It's very frustrating to have your vacation up in the air every time you cross the border.If you folks have a spotless record, and cross quite a bit, look into getting a nexus card. Makes crossing the border a piece of cake.

I had a DUI in 1977. I also had a Federal (US)Felony conviction in 1993. Have been crossing the border at Int Falls and Thunder Bay for 3 years, no problem. If your want some help, there are a number of Canadian Lawyers who specialize in getting you papers/authorization to cross, if you want to spend the money. The first time I tried it a few years ago, we were all prepared to fish in the US if they didn't let me across, but no problems came up. The US border people acted rather suprised when we came back and they scanned my passport. But the Canadian officials have been nothing but extremely friendly.

On another topic, as far bringing a boat or vehicle across that you don't own, you need a permission slip signed and notorized by the owner to use/drive that vehicle or boat. You also need registration and proof of insurance (make sure the insurance is valid in Canada.)

I just wanted to post our experience as a first hand account in that it might help others in the future. We crossed the border this past Friday and one in our party had a previous DUI from 8 years ago.

At first he was going to apply for the rehab permit, but then found out it would take 6 month to do that so he backed out. We then told him to read this thread and to give a call to the numbers listed.

He was told that the odds were very good that we might be able to just pass in, but if we were pulled into immigration he would be allowed to purchase the temp permit for $200. He was told this by both numbers given.

When we arrived up there, of course with our luck they didn't just let us pass, they pulled us in and peppered us with questions. The patrol there said it was up to his discretion and never allows temp permits for fishing trips. Only "important" things like weddings or funerals. A bunch of questions later he then said because we were told on the phone otherwise that he would grant the temp permit, but stressed that he never does this and it must be our lucky day.

As it turns out, with the proper documentation, you can get the full rehab permit at the border (on weekdays) without dealing with the 6 month wait. The guy with us was never told that, and we might have adjusted our itinerary to be there on a weekday to process that.

Bottom line I guess is that we got through, but we were sweating it there for a while...