• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

OK, here's the deal: a group of 6 of us are going to Canada June 29th for a fishing trip....One of the guys who is going just found out tonight( it was a surprise Father's Day present from his wife), well the wife and the other guy who kept this "hush/hush" for the last 6 months, didn't bother wondering if he had a passport or not. Well guess what? he doesn't have a passport......brilliant, I know....

Well, is there any quick expediated process where he can get a passport in time for next week's trip??

thanks in advance for your answers/advice/, etc..

he's going to the courthouse in morning, but wondering if any of you can help..thanks again

I posted earlier that I would report on our border crossing experience. One member in our group had an 8 year old DUI and I was worried sick about him not getting in. We decided to go ahead and try to make it across with him, full well knowing he might be taking a plane ride back home!

The crossing was the easiest I have ever experienced, and we did not have any problems. The questions that we were asked were the basics. Where are you going? Where are you from? How long will you be here? Do you have any live or dead bait? Any alcohol or firearms? We told them about the couple extra cases of beer that we had and they gave us a slip to turn in to pay the duty and we were on our way. They didn't even ask to see the alcohol and didn't search our van and U-haul trailer! The friendly woman at the crossing glanced at the passports briefly and handed them back. My friend who was driving mispronounced Sioux Narrows and she started laughing at him! There was no scanning, no writing down or entering in any kind of names, virtually nothing. Not to say that this never happens but I sure was glad it didnt' happen this time. Our 3 previous crossings they searched the van and trailer so I figured that was routine. Was I surprised when they didn't. What a relief! We were on our way to an excellent week of fishing and great weather. My friend with the DUI had such a good time that he has decided to apply for rehabilitation for next years trip to avoid any future problems.

Now, the woman who was working the the US side upon re-entry was a real battle axe. She stuck her head inside the van and made us all take off our sunglasses and checked our passports. This woman had no sense of humor (not that we were making jokes) and after snooping around the van a bit, she gave us a very cold "Welcome back" and sent us on our way. Go figure smile

Well I just might have gotten screwed out of my canada fishing trip. I had sent my passport application in 5 1/2 weeks ago and even overnighted it. I got a message from the passport agency today saying that the picture(which I paid to get taken at a passport place) was to underexposed and I would need to send them a new set of pictures to get my passport. I leave for canada on friday...just got the message and leave for work in 10 min. for a night shift. I highly doubt I would be able to get my picture taken tommorow and get it to them and have my passport back by friday.

Is it actually absolutly neccesary to have a passport to get into canada and back into the US at this time, or will a drivers license and birth certifiacate work?

Well I just might have gotten screwed out of my canada fishing trip. I had sent my passport application in 5 1/2 weeks ago and even overnighted it. I got a message from the passport agency today saying that the picture(which I paid to get taken at a passport place) was to underexposed and I would need to send them a new set of pictures to get my passport. I leave for canada on friday...just got the message and leave for work in 10 min. for a night shift. I highly doubt I would be able to get my picture taken tommorow and get it to them and have my passport back by friday.

Is it actually absolutly neccesary to have a passport to get into canada and back into the US at this time, or will a drivers license and birth certifiacate work?

I would feel pretty comfortable crossing with 1) the passport paperwork/receipts, 2) the documentation on why it was delayed, 3) birth certificate copy and 4) driver's license. It my take a little longer at the US border, but shouldn't be too bad.

Don't sweat it - just go for it. Just went through on 6/10 and all my buddy had was a birth certificate (never had a passport and lost his wallet). Didn't take him any longer to go through than me. The border guard just chuckled at him and waved him through.

Sounds good...looks like its time to search for the receipt.

I just couldn't believe it when I got that message though..lol. You would think the place taking the pictures would know if they were going to work or not. Now I still need to go through the hassle of getting them retaken and pay for them for a second time. Three more days of work and then of to lac suel for our annual trip! grin

Another passport question!!!

I applied for my passport about 4 weeks ago and we are leaving on July 5th. I called the passport place to check the progress. She said they recieved my application on June 2, and said it is in the beginning stages. I asked her how long, and she said I should have expedited it. Doesn't help. I also asked her if it was absolutely necessary to have a passport and she said not to get into Canada, but coming back I will NEED to show a passport.

Should I try it? Will I be able to get back in?

I'll "third" that as well. Bring all the paper you have. The effort has been made, that's more than some dummies that are crossing with ignorance in their back pocket.

Don't lose sleep.

Another passport question!!!

I applied for my passport about 4 weeks ago and we are leaving on July 5th. I called the passport place to check the progress. She said they recieved my application on June 2, and said it is in the beginning stages. I asked her how long, and she said I should have expedited it. Doesn't help. I also asked her if it was absolutely necessary to have a passport and she said not to get into Canada, but coming back I will NEED to show a passport.

Should I try it? Will I be able to get back in?

I'd be willing to bet your passport shows up before you leave. Mine took exactly 4 weeks and I received it last month so it should be about the same time frame.

You will get back in, it may delay you a bit, but they will not deny a US citizen entry into the states. Others on teh site have crossed without and were told the same thing and were allowed re entry. Take the first hand info and if you do not have the passport, bring as much documentation as you can to make it simpler and show the most effort possible.

Okay, so I made the rounds yesterday and called just about every government department that dealt with passports and border crossing and found some very useful information. Called homeland security and they directed me to border patrol and customs. I called them, and after an hour on hold, I was speaking to very crabby woman who sounded like she hated her life (don't blame her). She mentioned something about a one-time exemption to cross without a passport, but before I could ask anymore questions she started getting angry with me for not knowing the difference between a resident and a citizen. I called back later in the day and got a nicer woman. She was very helpful, and had not heard of a one-time exemption, but she did say that the border HAS to let a U.S. citizen back in the states. I asked if my birth certificate and I.D. would suffice and she said, "Yes, you have nothing to worry about."

I called Canada border patrol just to make sure, and have confirmed what many others have said on here. One does not need a passport to cross into Canada. Just birth certificate and I.D.

Sounds to me like this passport law is more of a suggestion to smooth the border crossing process. Maybe this will change to a requirement in the near future, but for now if you have applied for a passport, and bring birth certificate and I.D, you will be able to get across without issues.

Glad to hear it got all worked out winniewalleye. I'm heading up on July 4th and have a friend with an old (4.5 yrs.) DWI that I'm worried sick about. Luckily we have a back up plan but it sure would be nice to make it to Nestor Falls this year...Good luck on the trip.

Glad to hear it got all worked out winniewalleye. I'm heading up on July 4th and have a friend with an old (4.5 yrs.) DWI that I'm worried sick about. Luckily we have a back up plan but it sure would be nice to make it to Nestor Falls this year...Good luck on the trip.

Please report back here what happened with your friend with the DUI. I know what you mean about being worried sick about it, just read my earlier post about crossing over with a DUI'er in the car. I'm pretty sure if your car isn't one of the randomly tagged cars you will pass right through.

I finally got my passport on the last day of mail before I go to Canada! Go figure. This is what everyone has been saying on here, but I am totally relieved to know that I can legally make it over and back (even though it wouldn't have been an issue without it). Good luck to everyone else having issues!

Well I am very confused after reading all this and that HSOforum concerning DWI someone please chime in. I had one in 1991, and in 1998. I attempted to apply for rehab but was laid off and didn't spend the $200.00 fee.

So when doing rehab paperwork in Minnesota, my local police ran a check and couln't find the 91 dwi. I had to goto the court administrator to search old court records. This took a half hour because it was not on any of their computers it was on paper only. They said it was so old they send the record to the BCA and do not keep it anymore.

So do I tell them about 1991? I will not be driving, my friend goes every year so hopefully this helps. We will be crossing in I. Falls.

Basically if they don't scan my passport I should be good. Otherwise 1998 will send me back as well as 1991. I am gonna give it a try anyhow. One more thing , does anyone know if I brought my paperwork completed and fee would I get in?

Thanks

Hibbingite--when they scan your passport it tells them that the passport is valid-- not a counterfiet. They have to check the NICP computer records for your criminal record--thats real easy for them if you give them your drivers lisc.

They don't have misdameanrs and felonies in Canada--they only have criminal code violations and DUI is a criminal code violation--hence if you have a Driving while Impaired conviction in Canada you have a criminal record. I assume your DWI was a misdemeanor and therefore I wouldn't refer to you as having a criminal record.

That said--If Sister Ann Michele slapped your face in 7th grade for gum chewing in class there will be a record of it on that NICP computer.

My advise is listen very carefully to the question and answer truthfully.

Some times they will ask you if you have ever been charged with a crime--not have you ever been convicted of a crime--big difference.

First off, thsnks for the advie.

I will be truthful, if asked was I ever charged, yes I was. Hopefully they don't continue and ask next have you been convicted. Yes they were misdemeanors here in the US. If you get one now it could be felony depending on what you drank.

If you have one DWI that is at least 10 years old you can be considered as rehabilitated. If you have two DWIs, they will probably send you back to the states if they find out about it. Lying to the agents at the border would most likely get you a trip back to the US if you have two DWIs. Some friends of mine "forgot" about an extra carton of smokes and they spent six hours watching their van get detail stripped. The funny thing was that no one noticed an extra quart of whiskey that was in one of their boxes. If they scan your drivers license they will know everything about your driving record.

Thanks cold on, I uess either way if they ask if I was charged, I'll have to be truthful and say yes because I was charged and convicted of dwi in 1990, and 1998.

It sounds like I may make it in as long as they don't ask for my license so I am hoping I'll make it. At least if I do have to tell them, I am hoping they will let me pay a fee so I don't have our trip ruined. I know one thing, I'll be taking care of the rehab fee when I get back to work because my friend says you ain't been fishing until you been to Canada. Now I got a shot to go free minus my passport fee, and I'll probably be sent back. I have seen pics from up there and it sure looks fun!!!!

Well thanks to all whom responded and don't drink and drive! Here I am paying again as well as another reminder not to ever do it again!!!!