• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

There are always 101 questions going on here in regards to border crossing, so I've decided to post this link that has good information from DUI's to firearms, to potatoes to pets....

This HSOforum is put together by the camp (resort) owners of the Kenora and northwestern Ontario area.

I've read through the information on the site below, and it's accurate, however sometimes exceptions are made, discretion can be used, and I've witnessed peopole with DUI enter without a problem (newer than 5 years).

Don't go attempting to cross with a DUI, and say "Well Hemlock said I could get in..." grin.gifwink.gif

Hopefully this site answers most questions. The phone numbers listed towards the bottom of the home page is your best bet for contacting a person. Call the long distance numbers, and not the toll free number is you do want to speak to a person.

http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/index.shtml

I was carded last summer, I had two DUI's in my stupid young years 18 years ago, I was able to enter, but after I gave them 200 bucks. I was told all I have to do is send in the paperwork that was given to me, plus another 200 bucks, and I will be able to come back up as much as I want. are you friggin' kidding me!

if I am such a threat to the people of canada, what does 200 bucks solve. its all about getting money, and nothing else period!!!!!!

I spend and have spent thousands of dollers in canada, if they no longer want that, so what. I have very great fishing for me here in minnesota.

Hey, I feel for you knoppers, that was a long time ago, and an expensive deal.

However, a DUI is a felony in Canada. If I go an get one today, FELONY. THerefor, the one(s) you got while in the US 18 years ago, are still classified as felonies in Canada, and people with felonies on their record are inadmissable to Canada.

We do NOT have a drinking and driving problem because of this. Just don't see folks drinking and driving nearly as much as I when I lived south of the border. Having two kids, and driving alot, puts me at ease when I'm on the highway.

Not looking for your approval or agreement, just want you to understand how Canada views drinking and driving/felonies.

Just an FYI.... last weekend three of the guests staying at the Resort got turned back at the border. One at the South Junction Crossing and 2 at the Warroad crossing. Two weeks ago was the first time I've ever been asked if I had convictions including a DUI and I've been across about 30 times in the past 2 years.

Good Job Hemlock. I travel to Canada 8 to 10 times a year and usually find the border crossing very smooth. A couple of years ago one guy in our group got stopped and evicted for a felony charge he had 10 years earlier. He had to fill out some paperwork and pay $700 CA for a lifetime permit. He was [PoorWordUsage]ed at the time, but he got the permit now and enjoys the good fishing and outdoor experience that Canada provides. The way he looks at it is that if he goes to Canada for the next 25 years then the cost was less than a sack of groceries. I'm gald he sent it in because he is very good fishing buddy.

Went to Temple Bay Lodge a couple of years ago on their bus. They told us on the way up if any of us had a problem with this let them know. There was no way any of us could get a hold of a motor vehicle. Paying a huge fee is assinine. Last trip to Canada.

Quote:

I thought that after 10 years, as long as you have not had another offense DUIs went off your record...is this true?

Yes it is true. I called Customs this morning to confirm.

As long as that was your only offense, 10 years, and you are clear.

1-3 years, deemed inadmissable.

3-5 years, apply for temp permit ($200)

5-10 years, apply for rehabilitation permit ($200) and good for 5 years.

Bear,

All I've ever needed was a current rabies vaccination certificate, and then I've only been asked for it once. You can get a copy from your vet if you can't find it.

Knoppers, You were very lucky to get past the border by paying $200. I have never had a problem, but some friends tried to go to an outfitter last year and they had DUI's on thier record 18 and 27 years ago and they could not get through for anything. They pleeded thier case, but to no avail. Tough deal if you don't know the rules and have a trip planned.

Quote:

Quote:

I have never had a problem, but some friends tried to go to an outfitter last year and they had DUI's on thier record 18 and 27 years ago and they could not get through for anything.

confused.gifconfused.gifWonder why they had a problem last year if the rules say you're in the clear after 10 years, and theirs were 18yrs and 27yrs ago, unless both offenses were from one guy?? confused.gif

Both offenses were not from the same guy. They actually got turned away twice. They went back the next day to see if they could get through with different people working, but that did not work either. I noticed someone earlier said they could not bring potatoes in. I go up for two weeks every summer and have never had a problem bringing potatoes in. Seems there isn't continuity at all border crossings as to what they will allow and don't??

Bear,

I believe it's per gun. Last year I brought up two shotguns for duck hunting and it was 25 or 30 bucks per gun. That's good for the season, if you come up a couple different times the cost is covered. I believe the permits are good for 90 days, not sure. I still have last year's permits around, can check if you're interested. I have a PAL license, helps to expedite registering the guns. You used to be able to register your guns on-line if you have the PAL, but now you have to have them checked by a certified inspector, and I can't seem to find one in the Rainy River area, as I cross at Baudette. Hope this helps.

As to the DUI crossing problem, I also had a DUI in 1991. Wasn't a problem crossing until a couple of years ago, and then I went to customs at the RR crossing and got it all straightened out right there. My problem arose from the fact that when asked, I told them that I had the DUI, but WI at the time only kept the DUI on your record for 5 years, so there was no record of it. The Customs agent told me that after 10 years, you're good to go. I didn't have to pay anything, and he marked my records as rehabilitated to prevent further problems. Was the problem with the 18 & 27 records in Ontario or Manitoba? Maybe different provinces have different rules. I've also crossed in Alberta on my way to Alaska, and had to stop in at Customs, but no problem, and the DUI never came up. Sounds like there may be some other records attached to those fellows? Doesn't seem right that there would be a problem when the rules are spelled out.

Quote:

Seems there isn't continuity at all border crossings as to what they will allow and don't??

Bingo!

The story of the two guys being turned back with old, old DUI's doesn't make any sense, unless there's something that we don't know. If they ever had more than one DUI, or any assault charges, or any other charges for that matter that possibly came back to haunt them.

I am going on a fly-in fishing trip near Armstrong, ON next week!! I got a DUI back in 2001. I did not know anything about this DUI issue at the border till now. Am I screwed or will they be cool and let me through. Now I am in a bit of a panic. Please let me know what to do?

Here's a general guideline from Hemlock's post on page 1:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that after 10 years, as long as you have not had another offense DUIs went off your record...is this true?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes it is true. I called Customs this morning to confirm.

It all probably depends on if they run your information or not...

marine_man

kingstamos...

I don't want to dampen your spirits on this, but you may want to have a return plan in place, just in case they do deny you entrance. It's a terrible thing to think about, but if they do, best to be prepared.

good luck!

yeah i dont wanna rain on your parade either ,but we got ck'd last spring in intl falls and i got 2 dui '97 & 2003

and was turned away last fall we were hunting in e. mt and decided to drive to the border to talk to someone to see what is needed to resolve this matter and they went koo-koo saying i was trying to get in again & all this other talk finally they gave me a # to call in detroit I havnt called them yet but I planto soon so i can continue to go this is the 2nd year in a row i missed i benn going since i was 10 and now am 30