• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ok, we need some humor here.What crazy things has your dog eat???

Benny

Mine have gone through the usual list of kleenex, tp, diapers, etc. The worst one was our old male scarfed down a corn cob that my son dropped on the floor.....unfortunately the metal skewer/handle was still attached it it!! $1200 and several hours later the emergency vet came out and asked if I wanted the skewer back. I declined.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My short-hair (the cute/sweet/innocent one pictured at left of this post) got into some J.B. Weld one day!!! Ruined the sofa and part of the carpeting. She had it stuck around her mouth and everything. We were very lucky that she didn't get sick!

My Max has ate some goofy stuff but he has a thing for baby frogs!!! Every late spring I get alot of baby Frogs in my back yard and my dog has a field day with them. Max won't eat them but he will toss them around or wack them around in the yard with his tail. Its sooooo funny!!

Brian (muskieschaef)

Everything I have read is true but have one more thing to add. My lab ate a frozen loaf of bread dough,I asked the vet if that might cause problems, they said maybe bloating when it thawed, then constipated, My dog did get a little bloated but no other problems!! And he will not eat braunsweigert (spell check) wont even pick it up, never meet a dog who didnt love that stuff, till I got this lab!

Quote:

My Max has ate some goofy stuff but he has a thing for baby frogs!!! Every late spring I get alot of baby Frogs in my back yard and my dog has a field day with them. Max won't eat them but he will toss them around or wack them around in the yard with his tail. Its sooooo funny!!

Brian (muskieschaef)

My lab does the same thing. She(my wife and I too) can get an hours worth of entertainment on one from. She stalks, pounces, jumps, chases, sniffs, and licks each frog that ventures through our back yard. Her tail is wagging full speed the whole time grin.gif We had a huge snapping turtle somehow get into under the fence once and my wife looked out and Libby our lab was on a beautiful, stanch three-legged point for about 5 minutes before she decided she better not mess with the hissing creature.

Did the dogs happen to mention if the frogs taste like chicken??

My lab Grace has not gotten too many things, but she seems to have taken a liking to the backs of my baseball caps. She just tears the back strap apart and then is done. When she gets back from camp I think she is really going to like having a new baby in the house due to all the new toys.

-Hossienda

This is a great post. Just had to add a couple things, cell phone antenaes, remote control and my favorite, had a 10 pack of size 10 treble hooks sitting on the cupboard. Got home and saw the package for them torn apart. I thought oh man, and started to think about how much the vet bill would be. Got down on hands and knees and found all 10 treble hooks scattered around the kitchen. How my lab never got hooked I will never know. Also just thought of a couple more, corn I put out for the deer and the cucumbers and pumpkins from the garden.

packattack,

i read somewhere that grapes are as bad for dogs as chocolate. you might want to consult a vet before feeding anymore. my dog used to love them too but doesnt get them anymore. if im not mistaken i think it was something about causing organ damage confused.gif

Hey guys. New to this thing so be patient with me please. First I'd like to say this is so great. I love to read all the coments and info that is posted here. what a great tool for the outdoors man or woman. I thought it was funny to see the dog eating thing. My dog a black Lab who is now about 11 years ate a brand new $150.00 cowboy boot when he was about 3 months old. He only ate the left one though so I guess I could have still looked ok on the right side.Take care and unplug the extention cords with puppys.(It can be a real danger).

My first dog Misty the black lab ate about a dozen muskrat hides that I had been drying in the basement, this was when fur was high ,she [PoorWordUsage]ed fur balls for a few days after that. I was kind of mad at the time but its kind of funny now 25 yrs later.

Blitz is my 7 month old Brittany. Many things have become his treats.

TV Remote x 2, (You'd think I would learn) socks, stocking cap, football gloves, kleenex, diapers the list goes on and on.

I came home from work one day and saw a snow storm in my house. Blitz was nowhere to be found. Walked into the living room and there he was, inside of his gigantic doggy pillow from Sam's club. Only problem is that there was no more stuffing in it.

Just last year my labs got into a bag of peanuts that we had for bird feeding - a 10 pound bag. The 6 month old pup was ok but the 6 year old got bound up and had to be taken to the vet for an enema. Good thing we did it outside!!

Of course they also like to check out any [PoorWordUsage] that they find, deer [PoorWordUsage] is a favorate. If its the right consistantcy, they eat it. If its too runny, then its time to roll in it!! The worst was about 15 years ago, we were out duck hunting. Unknown to me, one of the guys had went off into the weeds and taken a dump. You guessed, it my dog found it, rolled in it, and came back so proud! Eeeek! I said gee whiz!!

The wife's Brittany ate the leather collar right off my lab a few years ago. The zinc rivets in the collar could have killed the dog so we spent about $1000 at the vet. Just before the vet was to go in with a scope to get the collar out, we told her to try to make the dog sick one more time. Up came the parts of the collar - leather, rivets and buckle. Saved about $1000 by asking the vet to make the dog vomit again.

Two weeks later the Brittany ate an entire leather belt. I told the wife he was on his own with this one. He got that one out himself and was fine. The dog no longer stays out when we are at work.

When the wife was getting ready for work on Monday, the dog ate eighteen full sized muffins while she was not in the room. This dog is NUTS and not much of a hunter but we love him.

My dog managed to get some chicken that was thawing in the sink. Wife made supper--about an hour later up comes hardly chewed raw chicken--wife looks at me and says she swore she had more chicken out for supper but thought she must have been losing her mind. Dog missed a couple of meals after that escapade with a stomach ache!

Too many muffins to count, one and a half loaves of banana bread cooling down and the worst possible thing you can ever lose!!! ONE of three birthday cakes (we have triplets)already frosted and decorated--candles and all.

I used to have a yellow lab that was somewhat of a mutant. Her parents were both big (90 - 100 lbs) beautiful squareheaded labs. "Lienie" (I like beer), the only female out of a litter of 12 was a 45 lb, skinny headed, pointy-nosed freak that never sat still a second in her life. She would also chew and destroy anything she could reach. While living with my parents for a few months, she stayed in their garage. She chewed the license tabs off my dad's car... not the plate, just the tabs and he had to buy new ones. Then ate half of the rubber bumper off the car. Next was the spark plug wires off the snow blower.

After that, we started confining her to a travel kennel while we were away. I bought a nice dog pillow so she would be comfortable and locked her in with it. Well, the pillow was stuffed with foam beads that filled the pillow nicely when confined by the fabric. Lienie the Destroyer decided that since she couldn't reach the car, she'd destroy the pillow. When I got back from work, there sat the dog, chin deep in foam beads. The contents of the pillow had expanded exponentially when the dog ripped it open and filled that kennel up to about 3 inches from the top. I laughed for days about the sight of Lienie sitting there looking like she was going to drown in styrofoam beads.

That dog really tried my patience.

Lienie the Destroyer--I like it! My GSP's real name is Tess but one of my daughters got mad at her one day after she ate/destroyed something of hers and renamed her "The Tesserater" since she had just watched part of the Terminator. I think Tess actually looked at her and said "I'll be back".

I sold a pup to a friend of a friend in Delaware a few years back. I talked to the new owner a few times after the pup got there and this guy was soooooo happy with him (smartest dog I ever owned he said.) He was so satisfied that he sent me a new Sauer .308 rifle in addition to my normal fee. (the guy was LOADED)

Antway, about a year later I give the guy a call. When he got on the phone he sounded really down. He told me he had just gotten back from giving away the dog. I asked him what happened. He told me the pup had gotten into his wife's shoe closet and chewed up a couple of pairs of shoes. I said what's the big deal? a couple of pairs of shoes can't be more than $500 buck. Thats when he informed me that the shoes were $500 PER PAIR!!!!!! He figured the dog had chewed up about $4000!!!! Then he mumbled a question about why he married a woman that wears $500 shoes!!! poor guy! The good news is that he knew a guy in the cannine program for the FBI so hopefully the hound made it through the program.

That pups mom and I were out in the yard one day and all of the sudden I heard a scream from my neighbors house. I looked up just in time to see my dog come out of their front door with a whole rack of ribs! OOPS!

A guy I know has a black lab and one day we were out ice fishing and we caught a dog fish. We tossed it on the ice and kind of forgot about it. This guys comes over to play some cards and talk a little and leaves his dog outside. A little while later somone else comes over to the ice house and the dog comes in with them. The dog just layed on the floor under the table.

We found out later that the dog had eaten most of the dog fish but at the time had no idea. While the dog was laying on the floor he found a package of leafy Apple Jack chewing tobacco and ate the whole thing including the foil package. So now the dog had a stomach full of dog fish and Apple Jack tobacco.

The dog started getting sick and jumped onto the owners lap and thats when it all came back up! Not a very pretty site.

We had a yellow lab that like to pick crab apples from the tree. He would put his paw up on the branch and then pull it down till he could get an apple.

Granny

Trigger, the dog in my avater, great dog but I swear he is half goat. Trying to think back to all the things he ate. Let's see, turned the legs of four wooden chairs into toothpicks, pens, grandma's shoes, the list goes on, but he beat-all is when he ate his blanket. I looked out the window and I see him struggling to go [PoorWordUsage]. Well, hanging out his @ss is about a foot long section of blanket, now what? Well, it was obvious he wasn't going to pass it, so we brought him to the vet, kinda embarrasing in the lobby, I think the other dogs were teasing him! Well the vet proceeded to pull another 2 feet of blanket out of him, how on earth it didn't kill him I'll never know. I never saw a vet laugh like that before, and now every time he goes in for shots or whatever they call him Linus. He is 4-1/2 now so those day's are over, thank God.