• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your fish of '04

Lake Alice

My most memerable fish this summer was actually one caught by my Wife. We were up the Gunflint camping at Trails End in June. Weather was real rough. Went up to fish Sag and never got out on her due to the weather. Put the boat in Gull Lake one day and threw out a few bobbers. While I was dealing with a snag, the Wife sets into one and her drag starts screaming. Thought she had a decent eye on and it turned out to be about a 4-5 lbs sucker that gave her a great fight. Finally was able to fish Sag in July and brought up a friend. He pulled in a 29 and 28.5 inch walleye. Great trip for him, as these were by far his biggest eyes ever. Fun watching him with the battles.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My season went by so fast, but going to have to say I was out with a buddy bass fishing this past fall. Had the "I'm going to learn to bass fish" attitude all year long, but didn't get out as much as I liked. Earlier in the year when I had that attitude, hit a metro lake and the first cast I hooked into a 4lb largemouth bass. Biggest bass ever!

Summer went on, got busy. The fall came around and was out with a buddy one weekend. Was on a Alexandria area lake and made a cast up against this point, hooked into a 5-5.5 lb bass. The bass on my aviator in fact!!! smile.gif

Biggest bass I ever caught. Didn't think I'd surpass my 4lb I had caught eariler. I MEAN for a new guy just getting into bass fishing and hammer big bass like that in one year.

THANK THE LORD!!

My fish of '04 wasn't my fish at all. It was defintely the most memorable day I've had fishing however.

In 2003 my fiance caught a 27 1/4 inch walleye that she wanted on the wall. We got it back in June of '04. Two days after hanging her trophy she and I were on Rainy catching smallies, when she pulls in a 27 3/4 inch 'eye, her new biggest. She yacked all week about how that fish dwarfed the one I had mounted for her a year earlier. A week I won't soon forget!

Well, my best of 04 was not a monster by any stretch...a 46inch Muskie on Lake Vermillion. What makes it my best of 04 are the circumstances surrounding the catch! My first time on Lake V., Cloudy, wind a blowing hard...fishing with a good buddy...enjoying what nature has to offer. Spent a entire weeking camping...away from tv, pager, cell phone and all other work related problems....life couldnt have been better. grin.gifgrin.gif

like everyone said great year on the water with plenty of fun trips to the bounday waters and canada.

most memerable fish would have to be 4 or 5 5lb. bass in one day in the same spot

or the 28 inch walleye my little bro caught when he was setting the bobber depth. it hit the depth checker with nothing on it.

I had a lot of great fishing this past year, but I'd have to go with my approx. 6lb bass. I was wading a metro lake that I often catch nice bass on, and when I hooked this pig I had an audience of joggers who's responses were, there are bass in this lake?! Got a couple quick pics, and away she went.

My most memorable fish was not mine. My 11-year-old nephew and I went out on Minnetonka for the walleye opener. We were fishing lindy rigs with 6 pound test in a channel mouth. He got the first bite - his first muskie! The fish was only about 37-38", but the biggest of his life. The look on his face was the highlight of the year.

My best fishing outing was one night during late fall in the same channel. I caught my personal best walleye, 29 inches, and a half an hour later a 42 inch muskie on the same rig.

Many thanks to the other late night fisherman there who took the pictures, the snow shows up as red spots against the black of the night.

dsludge

Mine would have to be the last time I was on the open water. A 27.5" walleye. I was the only sole on the lake (for about a month) and the fish were really snappin! I was solo and no camera, so one could say that I was just dreaming. The truth is I am still dreaming about that particular night.

This was kind of unique just because it was Dec.13! went back the next night and there was too much ice to break through to get my boat in the water.

mw

A big ol brown not measured, a 28 pound flathead caught on light gear on a jig and a leech while fishing for walleye with Dennis Steele on the Minnesota river. What a fight!

Last but not least a 31 inch walleye caught in small waters!

Lots of nice fish guys!

Jim

I had my best largemouth bass year last summer, didn't top the 22"er from the year before but I got eight between 19"-20", two 20"ers, one 20 1/2", and one very skinny 21"er.

Caught my first steelhead up on the north shore 8 lbs? And also caught my first chinook out on Lake Michigan 18 lbs.

But I would have to say the fish of the year was my wifes 4th of July 29" walleye. smirk.gif

My son Tim landed a pretty 28 inch walleye on North Wind Lake in Ontario last summer, his biggest ever. We had the best walleye day of our lives, two 28's, a 25, bunches between 20 and 23, and a limit of 16 - 18 inch fish for the fry pan. We started the day with 5 dozen minnows and four dozen crawlers. We used half crawlers on the jigs, and we ran out of bait afterabout five hours of fishing.

Could have been the walleye day of a lifetime! We will return the summer of 05 to find out.

p101078423mz.jpg

MThe fish I will not forget for 2004 was a 11.3# walleye I hand landed in my waders for a total stranger. It was about 1:00AM and this guy casting next to me hooked into a biggen He could not land it himself so I came over and gave it my best effert. The walleye came through my legs and I thought I was going to snag his rappala on my leg. I jumped the line got my hands around him and got him to shore. The guy measured it and let it swim away. It was an awsome experience. ff

My fish of 04 was caught by my little girl gracie. It was her first fish and the look on her face will be somthing that I will remember forever. The really cool thing was her brother netted it and Grandma and Grandpa got to see it.

Sifty

My fish of '04 was the one that got away. I have no idea what it was but I fought it for several minutes before it broke me off (8 lb. line). Was on the Rum River and whatever it was took me to school! Could not turn it, could not get it off the bottom, could only hang-on! I may have been a huge smallie, giant walleye, or big gator - or even a river carp for that matter - but it sure was fun playing it while it lasted. Took me around the boat once. Whatever it was, it was like a freight train....have since lightened up on the drag a bit...LOL

Daze Off

-Fishing for Lakers in Canada, my grandpa set the hook on a fish and started reeling. His arms got sore so he handed the rod to one of my sisters. Her arms got sore so she handed the rod to my other sister. After all this was done, the sinker was snaged on a rock so my dad and I jumped in the boat and went and got the sinker unsnaged and landed the fish. The Laker was 33" and around 11lbs.

-Caught my 2nd Musky ever and the biggest one yet on the same Canada trip. Didn't get a length on it.

-My wife caught her largest bass at 20.25" and her biggest crappie at 14.5"

-Bass fishing with my cousin and he landed a 35" and a 38.5" pike about 15 minutes apart.

-Bass'n this year was the best ever for me in terms of numbers and size. Still was not able to break the 20.5" mark though.

Here's to 2005!

Granny