• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Homemade steak rubs

This is what I use on steaks as a dry rub.  It’s a Montreal Steak knockoff I got off the Internet and started using a couple of years ago.  It’s pretty good.

You can use this as a base and add or subtract any of the ingredients to suit your taste.

2 tablespoons crushed black pepper

2 tablespoons garlic powder

2 tablespoons kosher salt

2 tablespoons paprika

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon ground coriander

1 tablespoon dill weed

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes

Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.

Bring your steaks to room temperature (About an hour) then sprinkle the rub just before cooking.

I buy a bunch of steak seasonings and meat rubs, and then mix and match depending what kind of flavor I'm in the mood for.

Sometimes sweet, sometimes hot and spicy, sometimes smokey..........sometimes all of that at once.

Edited by Duffman

If you guys can, try some of this prime rib seasoning on your steaks or any type of grilled meat. It is really good and you can get a shaker at Dehmers meats in St. Micheal. Or online. I buy it by the case and split it with friends and family.

th.jpg

For good steaks like ribeye or t bones all I’ve ever done is take it out of the fridge and salt with either sea salt or kosher salt and then some pepper. I leave them on the counter until they’re at room temp before grilling. For the cheaper cuts that my wife always seems to bring home because they were “a good deal” I like to marinade. Mainly because that’s the only way I can make it and have the kids eat it. 

Edited by huntnfish

3 hours ago, huntnfish said:

For good steaks like ribeye or t bones all I’ve ever done is take it out of the fridge and salt with either sea salt or kosher salt and then some pepper. I leave them on the counter until they’re at room temp before grilling. For the cheaper cuts that my wife always seems to bring home because they were “a good deal” I like to marinade. Mainly because that’s the only way I can make it and have the kids eat it. 

Best way to cook cheap tough beef and make it like the expensive stuff is sous vide.  Hold a chuck at131 for 24 hours or so and it's like prime rib.  The very long cook lets the tough collagen dissolve.

Marinade really doesn't do much to tenderize.

Edited by delcecchi

I have been pre warming steaks for years in an oven 150 degrees for 30-45 minutes.  Got that from the American Test Kitchen on PBS.  I also buy mine in bulk, season them and then vacuum seal them.  Helps to pull the flavors deeper into the meat.  

1 hour ago, Borch said:

I have been pre warming steaks for years in an oven 150 degrees for 30-45 minutes.  Got that from the American Test Kitchen on PBS.  I also buy mine in bulk, season them and then vacuum seal them.  Helps to pull the flavors deeper into the meat.  

I’ve never thought about warming them in the oven but since I bought my pellet grill last year sometimes I will set it to 180 for a half hour or so before turning it up to cook. I haven’t ever pre seasoned beef steaks but I normally do a meal worth of venison backstraps every year like that. Season and seal and then leave in the fridge for a day before freezing. 

20 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Best way to cook cheap tough beef and make it like the expensive stuff is sous vide.  Hold a chuck at131 for 24 hours or so and it's like prime rib.  The very long cook lets the tough collagen dissolve.

Marinade really doesn't do much to tenderize.

I Was telling a coworker about cooking like this the other day. He cannot have a grill where he’s currently living so he’s going to try something like this. I have never tried it and I don’t know that I ever will but after reading your posts and how adamant you are about it I figured it must work. He’s getting tired of smoking up his place cooking them in a pan on the stove. 

Edited by huntnfish

2 hours ago, huntnfish said:

He’s getting tired of smoking up his place cooking them in a pan on the stove. 

Searing a ribeye in a cast iron pan is also a great way to cook a steak.

4 hours ago, Borch said:

I have been pre warming steaks for years in an oven 150 degrees for 30-45 minutes.  Got that from the American Test Kitchen on PBS. 

I've never pre warmed in an oven but I always leave steaks on the counter for at least a half hour before they hit the grill.

4 hours ago, Borch said:

I also buy mine in bulk, season them and then vacuum seal them.  Helps to pull the flavors deeper into the meat.  

I do this also with deer steaks and top sirloin.