• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice House Build

BunchOfish

4 hours ago, BunchOfish said:

The opening for the cabinets are cut and the bottom bunk/table seats are all boxed in.  I just need to put the hinge on those are done.  I still need to put the center cap on the ceiling and put the clear coat on all the wood.

20190411_165821.jpg

What size T&G are you using? The cabinets look like 3/4, but it may just look that way due to the door framing.

1 minute ago, rl_sd said:

What size T&G are you using? The cabinets look like 3/4, but it may just look that way due to the door framing.

The T & G is all 3/4".  If I was going to do the whole house T & G then I would have use the 5/16" stuff.  Also I found much better boards using the 3/4" stuff and the cost wasn't that much more.

All the FRP panelling is done.  It came out very nice.  Now all i need to do is finish the bunk and table and trim it out.  Im going to wait until late summer/fall before i install the carpet so that way it goes into next ice season fresh and new.

20190418_193601.jpg

20190418_193609.jpg

20190418_193620.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:30 PM, fishingstar said:

looks great what kind of a heater are you putting in it

I'm just going to use a vent free wall mount heater.  Maybe in the future I will put in a nice forced air one but the budget doesn't allow for it right now.

6 minutes ago, BunchOfish said:

vent free

Be careful, these are legal for stores to sell but very dangerous to use.  They are non-compliant with building codes.  

4 hours ago, Hoey said:

Be careful, these are legal for stores to sell but very dangerous to use.  They are non-compliant with building codes.  

O i know they can be.  I have a good CO and fire detector.  I had one in my last house and it worked good.  I dont plan on doing much sleeping in it maybe a few times a winter.  

Just a little update.  Not much has gotten done in the last week or so.  I have been really sick, the kid has been sick, and I'm trying to get my boat ready for open water.  Also I'm redoing a large part of my lawn so I have been trying to get that ready for sod.  To much to do and not enough time for everything.  I did receive my foam for my mattresses so I will start sewing up the covers for those probably this weekend.  Other then that I have a little bit of trim work left to finish up and put the clear coat on that will be finished up.  I almost forgot but I was able to cut the holes out and installed the catch covers.  I think I will need 1 more hole. When I have a minute I'll snap a shot to add to the pictures.

25 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Hey, some times Life gets in the way. You have a few months before Ice anyway.  Get better over there! ?

Yeah this is always a really busy time of year for me and now that I have a baby its just that much more busy. 

On 5/2/2019 at 7:34 AM, BunchOfish said:

Yeah this is always a really busy time of year for me and now that I have a baby its just that much more busy. 

Kudos to you for your progress with everything else going on and needing attention!  Every year I have updates and upgrades planned for my campershack, and I will cross 3-4 of my items off my list in a day or 2 and then not be able to do anything for 3 weeks and I don't have near the other commitments that you do.  I guess we all love to do these projects AND read about these projects because it is so satisfying when something you have built or renovated serves the purpose you had envisioned even for just a day or a weekend.  Keep up the updates as I love to see project progress and new ideas.

23 hours ago, Hawg said:

skrimp somewhere else but get a vented heater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sleeping in it once is too many times and risky, not to mention the moisture dripping from the ceiling and down the walls, the windows you'll never see out of without a squeegee,  the mold that will form next summer, the sore throats, the headaches and most of all-the funeral expense. Even if you have to get a less expensive heater with a stovepipe it's better and safer. You can run the pipe out the side walls and attractively patch it later. It only takes a couple hours to start feeling the effects of CO2. Be Safe.

Spot on @Hawg, an additional $200 is a small price to pay to keep one's wife & <2 year old child safe. Good Ventless heaters run $150 - $200. The Suburban vented 19,000 BTU runs $389. Last fall I found mine for $312, free shipping just took a bit of searching. My DIY 6.5 x 12 + V front wheel house has 3" batt insulation floor, walls and ceiling. At -17 deg my 19k Sunurban runs 5 cycles per hour 4 min per cycle inside temp at 70 deg. Clear windows, no headaches, no dripping water and no frozen shut door after it sets over night without heat. Fully automatic, flip a switch, set thermostat heat on.

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-2446ABK-Nt-20SEQ-Furnace-Black/dp/B00HSO2QL2/ref=asc_df_B00HSO2QL2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312094794632&hvpos=1o20&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11306086615406042177&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019473&hvtargid=pla-570834184548&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=60223452937&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312094794632&hvpos=1o20&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11306086615406042177&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019473&hvtargid=pla-570834184548

Edited by papadarv

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:50 PM, DougSD said:

Kudos to you for your progress with everything else going on and needing attention!  Every year I have updates and upgrades planned for my campershack, and I will cross 3-4 of my items off my list in a day or 2 and then not be able to do anything for 3 weeks and I don't have near the other commitments that you do.  I guess we all love to do these projects AND read about these projects because it is so satisfying when something you have built or renovated serves the purpose you had envisioned even for just a day or a weekend.  Keep up the updates as I love to see project progress and new ideas.

Yeah I always feel like I need to be doing something.  Its a good thing and bad thing sometimes.  It keeps me busy but sometimes way to busy.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:57 AM, papadarv said:

Spot on @Hawg, an additional $200 is a small price to pay to keep one's wife & <2 year old child safe. Good Ventless heaters run $150 - $200. The Suburban vented 19,000 BTU runs $389. Last fall I found mine for $312, free shipping just took a bit of searching. My DIY 6.5 x 12 + V front wheel house has 3" batt insulation floor, walls and ceiling. At -17 deg my 19k Sunurban runs 5 cycles per hour 4 min per cycle inside temp at 70 deg. Clear windows, no headaches, no dripping water and no frozen shut door after it sets over night without heat. Fully automatic, flip a switch, set thermostat heat on.

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-2446ABK-Nt-20SEQ-Furnace-Black/dp/B00HSO2QL2/ref=asc_df_B00HSO2QL2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312094794632&hvpos=1o20&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11306086615406042177&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019473&hvtargid=pla-570834184548&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=60223452937&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312094794632&hvpos=1o20&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11306086615406042177&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019473&hvtargid=pla-570834184548

That's the cheapest price I have seen.  Believe me I have been looking but the cheapest vented heaters I have seen are $500+.  My budget is about maxed out for the time being but I suppose I have all summer to look around.  Why are these heaters so expensive?  I only paid $350 for my 50000 btu vented garage heater.  These are so much smaller.

On 5/6/2019 at 7:57 AM, BunchOfish said:

Why are these heaters so expensive?  I only paid $350 for my 50000 btu vented garage heater.  These are so much smaller.

Supply & Demand - lot more garages than RV`s & ice Houses along with cagey marketing convincing buyers it's actually worth the sell price. Reason many pay $1000 for a plastic tub, a couple aluminum poles, multi layered fabric & 2 chairs and called a flip. You can get 100 minimum order ice augers made to your specs., shipped to your business for $33 each tax free than sell them for $200. Most of the stuff we buy for outdoors sports fall into this arena.