• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice House Build

BunchOfish

11 hours ago, BunchOfish said:

I picked up all the insulation last night.  I will be using the Pink expanded foam and wedging it between the studs.   Once I get some installed I'll get a few updated pics.

Did you house wrap it? If you didn’t make sure to tape your joints. A lot of guys have had good luck cutting the foam on a table saw if your stud spacing is true. Are you finishing the inside? If so, make sure to take measurements and pictures of where your wires run. Then when you hang something later on you don’t need to worry about hitting the wires 

1 hour ago, rl_sd said:

Did you house wrap it? If you didn’t make sure to tape your joints. A lot of guys have had good luck cutting the foam on a table saw if your stud spacing is true. Are you finishing the inside? If so, make sure to take measurements and pictures of where your wires run. Then when you hang something later on you don’t need to worry about hitting the wires 

Yes i wrapped the house.  I have been using my hand held Milwaukee sawall.  As long as i take my time everything has been fitting nice and tight. 

47 minutes ago, BunchOfish said:

20190401_163155.jpg

You said that you didn't insulate the floor.  I wonder if you could glue some of the pink foam under it to help out save cold foot?

9 hours ago, leech~~ said:

You said that you didn't insulate the floor.  I wonder if you could glue some of the pink foam under it to help out save cold foot?

Yeah I was thinking about that.  I think I will just wait and use it next winter to see if I want to insulate the floor.  I figured I could always crawl under it and shove some foam between the cross members.

Insulation is all installed now.  Took longer then I though it would.  After doing it I'm going to make sure I budget in spray foam for any future houses I build.  I will pick up some of the T & G and start working on that this weekend.  I'm going to do something a little different then most houses.  I'm only putting the T & G 3 ft up the walls and the ceiling will be covered also.  Other then that I'm going to use FRP to keep it nice and bright inside.  Its the cheapest way I have found to finish off the inside and still have a nice look when its finished.  The plan is to have it finished by memorial day weekend because we are planning on using it as a camper that weekend.

14 hours ago, BunchOfish said:

Insulation is all installed now.  Took longer then I though it would.  After doing it I'm going to make sure I budget in spray foam for any future houses I build.  I will pick up some of the T & G and start working on that this weekend.  I'm going to do something a little different then most houses.  I'm only putting the T & G 3 ft up the walls and the ceiling will be covered also.  Other then that I'm going to use FRP to keep it nice and bright inside.  Its the cheapest way I have found to finish off the inside and still have a nice look when its finished.  The plan is to have it finished by memorial day weekend because we are planning on using it as a camper that weekend.

Using the FRP half way will keep some weight down as well.

9 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Using the FRP half way will keep some weight down as well.

Yeah That's kind of another reason why I'm going to use it.  Now that I'm looking at it I probably should have put a window in the back as well but oh well.  Now I know for any future builds haha.

11 minutes ago, BunchOfish said:

Yeah That's kind of another reason why I'm going to use it.  Now that I'm looking at it I probably should have put a window in the back as well but oh well.  Now I know for any future builds haha.

Yes windows around are good, to watch tip ups and for Wardens!  ?

47 minutes ago, papadarv said:

On a future light weight build you could include a power winch lift for another $175. A bit of wiring but really sweet to have in -15 temp & 30 mph snowy wind. 

I was actually going to do that but then I got to thinking "do I really need them on a 12ft house?"  Probably not and I'm only 24 so a little cranking wont hurt me.  I think if I would have built a 16ft house I would have use electric winches.

4 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Yes windows around are good, to watch tip ups and for Wardens!  ?

Haha!  Yeah I really don't fish tip ups much probably because they never seem to work for me so I usually use rattle reals inside.  And another reason is it always seems like the only time I have to fish is when its -10 out.  One of the reasons I'm building a wheel house haha.

The opening for the cabinets are cut and the bottom bunk/table seats are all boxed in.  I just need to put the hinge on those are done.  I still need to put the center cap on the ceiling and put the clear coat on all the wood.

20190411_165821.jpg

20190411_165809.jpg

Edited by BunchOfish

May be too late but nailer plates where you ran wires through studs are cheap insurance. Ice Nuts are easy, cheap, and work great for winches. Plus you have cranks for backup. Electrics can be a pain. 

2 hours ago, Hawg said:

May be too late but nailer plates where you ran wires through studs are cheap insurance. Ice Nuts are easy, cheap, and work great for winches. Plus you have cranks for backup. Electrics can be a pain. 

Yeah the Ice nuts are on the list of goodies left to get.  Hole covers and table hardware is all order.