• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pork Belly Stinks

4 hours ago, Getanet said:

Lot to get to here. Not sure the exact temp of my fridge...somewhere along the spectrum of "cold" to "not freezing."

I would plan on hot smoking the bacon. 150 degrees seems to be the ticket according to what I've read here (again, first attempt at making bacon).

Can't you put a probe thermometer into the zipper bag or bucket you are brining in (while it's still in the fridge)?  Let it sit for 10 minutes at least to get a solid reading.  This alone could be a deciding factor as even fresh meat stored over 40° is a no-no.

Kinda takes the intrigue out of waiting to see if the diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, and fever sets in don't you think? 

On a serious note, meat stored over 40 is a no no?  I guess I've never really measured the temperature of my fridge - it's cold, I know that, but never worried about the exact temp. I've also never kept meat in it for as long as the bacon is supposed to brine. I had to cut the belly in half to fit in my bucket - so I basically have two 4 lbs slabs. I'm giving it 7 days - I know most recipes call for longer, but I'm hoping that is for an intact slab.  As you can tell, I'm not a veteran at smoking meat. I also have an electric smoker - so - training wheels are still on.:grin:

I'll throw a probe in it tonight and report back tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, Getanet said:

Kinda takes the intrigue out of waiting to see if the diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, and fever sets in don't you think? 

On a serious note, meat stored over 40 is a no no?  I guess I've never really measured the temperature of my fridge - it's cold, I know that, but never worried about the exact temp. I've also never kept meat in it for as long as the bacon is supposed to brine. I had to cut the belly in half to fit in my bucket - so I basically have two 4 lbs slabs. I'm giving it 7 days - I know most recipes call for longer, but I'm hoping that is for an intact slab.  As you can tell, I'm not a veteran at smoking meat. I also have an electric smoker - so - training wheels are still on.:grin:

I'll throw a probe in it tonight and report back tomorrow.

Yes, the danger zone for meats is 40° - 140°, that is the breeding zone for bacteria..  Below 40° it's safe to hold or store (within reason), and if it's kept above140° you are in good shape.  4 hours in the danger zone is the maximum recommended time, but like I said earlier... the pink salt gives you a little leeway. A good example is smoked venison sausage that takes 6 hours to smoke needs pink salt to retard bacteria growth.  If you grill non-cured sausage in 45 minutes and it's fully cooked, it's safe to eat.The brine time is based on strength of brine and the thickness of the meat, just cutting it in half won't have an impact. It's all about osmosis.

Learning to cure meats, make sausage, or pressure can meat and fish is actually pretty easy.  I've done it for over 40 years. You need to use a proven procedure and follow food safety rules when handling and processing... but the results are completely worth it.

I wouldn't do it I don't know why its even a question the store is going to take it back go there with your receipt and say it smelled foul and you tossed it because you are not going to. What are you going to lose a couple days because you have to wait for the new meat to cure? Curing and smoking meats already has a more "danger" in itself starting off with good meat. Why have even more danger by starting out with bad meat. Curing salt is meant to retard bacterial growth so in my eyes its not a lets cure this bad meat to make it edible again.

Now once you have a finished product lets say there is some bacterial when you cook it you are 10 degrees undercooked "easy to do" now you didn't kill all the bacteria or even if you do cook it all the way the toxins can still get you sick

Start over get a new piece a meat and make some good safe bacon

Just think if anyone gets sick you thick they will ever trust your smoking again?

24 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

It seems every year or so there is a "should I eat this rotten meat" thread that stretches out to 3000 posts.

If I remember the last one was some Walleye leechlake left out and had to shatcan?  ;)

28 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

It seems every year or so there is a "should I eat this rotten meat" thread that stretches out to 3000 posts.

The ones I hate are the "help my fire went out" posts on BBQ forums. This usually happens during a overnight cook with pork butts and all the poster can recall is they looked okay at 10pm, but at 8am the fire was dead.

3 hours ago, thirdeye said:

The ones I hate are the "help my fire went out" posts on BBQ forums. This usually happens during a overnight cook with pork butts and all the poster can recall is they looked okay at 10pm, but at 8am the fire was dead.

My thermometer tracks my temp throughout the night so I know. I also have it set for alarm to go off it it drops below a certain temp  :D

13 hours ago, Getanet said:

On a serious note, meat stored over 40 is a no no?  I guess I've never really measured the temperature of my fridge - it's cold, I know that, but never worried about the exact temp

Yes, 40 degrees is the magic number.  If you've ever been involved in any sort of food handling business, the first thing the state inspector checks is the temperature of your refrigeration equipment - more than a few degrees above 40 is a no-no...

Who knew there was so much passion about possibly putrid pork?  Tossed a probe in my bucket last night - soaking in a cool 36 degree bath.

Edited by Getanet

14 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

I have been wondering if the packaging of this pork belly had a Unicorn, Teddy bear and a Kansas City Royals sticker on it? :P

7 hours ago, Getanet said:

Who knew there was so much passion about possibly putrid pork?  Tossed a probe in my bucket last night - soaking in a cool 36 degree bath.

...And the calibration of the thermometer can be traced to the National Bureau of Standards, right?   :D

23 minutes ago, thirdeye said:

...And the calibration of the thermometer can be traced to the National Bureau of Standards, right?   :D

I bet you were the type of kid who wouldn't eat his corn if it touched his mashed potatoes:grin:

3 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

I've done both dry and wet, go ahead and keep the stinky slabs in the wet and save the not so for the dry.  ;)

You know, I seem to get a better product with the dry cure bacon at home,  it it's way more convenient to prep, overhaul etc.,  but I bet 80% of all the store bought bacon is wet cured, and we've eating it for years.

Well, thought I should provide a quick update for the millions around the world glued to this thread. I removed the belly from the brine on Saturday night and patted it dry - interestingly it smelled fine, or rather really didn't have any smell at all. Smoked it on Sunday, but was having issues with my meat probe and wound up hitting 155 instead of 150. Also realized I should have left it in the brine for a few more days.  Plan to slice it tomorrow or Wednesday.

All in all this has been a learning experience. But I think the main lesson is by the time you add up all the costs and time it takes...you probably come out ahead just buying bacon at the grocery store!:blush:

6 hours ago, Getanet said:

Well, thought I should provide a quick update for the millions around the world glued to this thread. I removed the belly from the brine on Saturday night and patted it dry - interestingly it smelled fine, or rather really didn't have any smell at all. Smoked it on Sunday, but was having issues with my meat probe and wound up hitting 155 instead of 150. Also realized I should have left it in the brine for a few more days.  Plan to slice it tomorrow or Wednesday.

All in all this has been a learning experience. But I think the main lesson is by the time you add up all the costs and time it takes...you probably come out ahead just buying bacon at the grocery store!:blush:

And fish too.   And that elk meat is way cheaper than a trip to Wyoming.... :D

I figure walleye costs me about $500 a pound....

Well, I might as well wrap this one up. Last night I sliced up and fried up a few pieces of my bacon....and it was really, really good. None of the headaches, vomiting or diarrhea I was worried about. Just salty, smokey, deliciousness.

It's still not the most affordable endeavor, but I'm glad I gave it a try.

Edited by Getanet

Well you did good to keep the forum alive!

10 days, 1,287 views and 48 replies all on stinky meat!

Now we need to keep tuned in to see if you die in the next week or so?? :lol:

lurker.gif