• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

eyeguy 54

Crappie Stew

tried something new. really good !

Crappie Stew

cut up 3 potatoes, 3 carrots, 1 onion

cook 30 minutes with 1 cup water and 3T butter

mix up 2 cans cream of celery soup with 1 can water

add 1 tsp cajon powder and 1 tsp lemon pepper

add ½ tsp Thyme

add 1 can mushrooms

add all to cooking veggies and cook another 30 minutes

cut up fish in 1 inch or so pieces, I used about 4 cups.

Add fish to kettle and get it hot then down to low for about an hour at least.

enjoy

1217c.jpg

1217d.jpg

Looks like a good winter meal to dedicate some ice fishing success to!  You had me at the second line of the recipe - anything that calls for more than 1 cup of butter is OK in my book.

Looks very good. I do something similar with Walleye but never used the cream soup. But might have to try it. I used milk or half and half or cream and thickened it up at the end. I also like to add those small onions about the size of a dime. Usually find them in the frozen section. When they cook and get soft and absorb the liquid they explode in your mouth. That's if u like onions.

1 hour ago, Walleyehooker said:

Years ago my mom used to make my dad fish head soup which started out with a big northern head. Eyes and all.

I'm not opposed to cooking with whole fish, including heads, but MAN - You'd think the last fish you'd want to use the external parts of would be a slimer.  Some of the best flaky white fillets on the planet, but no part of that skin is touching what I eat!

I remember my buddy did skin-on northern fillets in a foil pack once on the campfire.  even after washing it thoroughly, the slime contaminated the meat, almost threw up.

2 hours ago, Walleyehooker said:

Years ago my mom used to make my dad fish head soup which started out with a big northern head. Eyes and all.

Like on your first post, not Like on this one eeew! :eek:

40 minutes ago, ThunderLund78 said:

I'm not opposed to cooking with whole fish, including heads, but MAN - You'd think the last fish you'd want to use the external parts of would be a slimer.  Some of the best flaky white fillets on the planet, but no part of that skin is touching what I eat!

I remember my buddy did skin-on northern fillets in a foil pack once on the campfire.  even after washing it thoroughly, the slime contaminated the meat, almost threw up.

Now hold on there Thunder. l can't confirm this, because I've not yet tried it, but there was an article in the Minnesota Conservation Volunteer about people back in the day, that would laugh if you fillet the skin off a northern. They said that is where all the flavor is. 

Used to can or pickle them. Throw in some thia chili peppers and key set a while. They were a pain to clean!

5 hours ago, ThunderLund78 said:

Looks like a good winter meal to dedicate some ice fishing success to!  You had me at the second line of the recipe - anything that calls for more than 1 cup of butter is OK in my book.

oops !! typo....  lol  1 cup water, 3T butter

no,  cook on low.  stir gently.  I was surprised that the crappie pieces stayed pretty big. first time for this one. made bass hotdish last year.  gotta do that again!

15 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Ha a couple bowls for lunch today. Crazy but I think it got even better! LOL 

soups..........and alot of udder things get/taste better the more it gets reheated!!!!!!!!:grin:

12 minutes ago, smurfy said:

soups..........and alot of udder things get/taste better the more it gets reheated!!!!!!!!:grin:

Like yer smurfberry pop tarts? :grin:

Oyster stew is better the next day...and my chili! 

29 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

smurfberry pop tart, that's a new one!  But I agree that certain foods taste better the next day!!

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

ah pipe down ya hooligan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

Like the way your Crappie stew looked and easy to make so I figured I would tweek it a bit and try to turn it into wild rice soup. Only changed a couple things. Used 50/50 cream of celery and cream of chicken and used chicken broth instead of water and wild rice instead of fish. Got it cooking in the crock pot and looks pretty good so far.

IMG_1304.JPG