• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you camping in this year?

Big Dave2

We just sold our small 5th wheel camper we had and are thinking about the next thing. We have gone from tents to a pop up to a old motor home to a travel trailer to a small 5th wheel. We are thinking about going back to a pop up but may just tent it for this year or maybe even rent a camper for one of our annual excursions.

What are you camping in this year?

Our camper is a Rockwood Roo 19. Its a hybrid camper with a 19' hardside cabin and fold down canvas beds. You get the comfort, convenience and safety of a hardside with the feeling of sleeping under canvas. The two beds are queen sized. Our 19 camper sleeps like a 25' camper.

Outside of that we have numerous tents based on the type of trip. We still do boundary waters and backpacking at least once a year so I stay in one of our REI tents. I have a 2, 3, and 4 person backapacking tent with full coverage rainfly. Nothing better!

We are more of RVing it. We have a 28 ft 5th wheel. Not a fan of RV parks, but even when at the more boondock type camping it is nice to have a little comfort, especially when you go for a week or so.

after tenting forever we bought a used coleman taos popup last summer. used it 3 times and now 2 times so far this year. Pulled it to the black hills last year. A bit more work to set up but easy to take down. Very nice in stormy wet weather!

Bought a cabelas guardian 6-8 person I believe. It is tall enough for me to stand in with head room. I'm 6'0" it suites use well with 1 child. It fits a full and a twin air bed and room for a few bags. When its all steaked down it looks really nice and I believe it won't go any were when very windy.

We have a 25' Jayco 5th wheel. Big enough for our small family yet small enough to easily pull the boat along too. I wouldn't mind a larger camper but then we would probably get a seasonal site and we aren't ready for that yet. Too much too see. smile

Wife just informed me, "no more tents or pop-ups" LOL. I'm trying to talk her into a hybrid to keep the weight down for my poor old aging TV. It's a 2004 Dodge Ram 4x4 with 3:55 rear end gears so that puts my maximum tow weight at only 6700 lbs. My last 2 campers (a 28' TT and a 25" fifth wheel) have both been over that weight empty let alone loaded. I really want something much lighter this time but don't want to give up the many comforts that we are used to in an RV.

The same thing that we have used the last 14 summers, a 2000 Cabela's XWT 9 x 9 tent, and a cabelas Alaskan Guide screentent.

All our camping is done on the islands of Rainy and Namakan lakes.

PS: x2 h8go4s grin

I used to agree with all you "camping is done in tents" people, but I quickly found my place when you realize we each define camping for ourselves. Don't judge others or use a subtle putdown just because they don't "camp" the way you do.

WHile I have a moderate RV, I also do BWCA camping that is likely more rustic than many of the people who claim tenting is the only way to go.

I know plenty of tent campers that use cots. I see a screen tent mentioned, how about using cookstoves? Is that allowed in your "camping" world.

In the end there is some guy who sleeps under the stars, cooks over an open fire and hikes to every new campsite. There is always gonna be someone who roughs it or is more outdoor savvy than you. If someone enjoys towing their RV to the lake and sitting in a lawn chair outside, that's their version of camping. If you enjoy sleeping on the ground and cooking over a white gas stove and reading by the light of a lantern, good for you. If you hike or canoe into the wilderness, sleep in a hammock and cook over an ultralight stove, good for you. You are all camping and you're enjoying the great outdoors the way you see fit. Is there really a need to get elitist about camping styles?

Camping, RVing who cares. It is about getting away from the daily city life. We have a nice 5th wheel that allows us go to some pretty remote places(read that really rustic, no toilets, no water, no showers etc), stay for a week or longer and sleep in relative comfort. We don't spend the day in the RV(unless it is raining) we choose to be outside enjoying what we left the confines of the city for.

When we say camping some will say that ain't camping, no problem, call it RVing if need be grin

Camping and RVing, the title alone says there in a difference.

I think one is for people who love to be out in nature and the other is for those who like to look at it. On the other hand I have seen RV camps, good sam, koa and such and there is no nature involved.

Yes I can see why an alcoholic would need a RV. Other wise I find high test alcohol like 151 rum packs small if I need a night cap.

As you get older and out of shape, the ground gets harder. You need a chair to sit on and a bed to sleep on.

For me at 57 I have always looked at camping as not 'one upmanship' but doing more with less then the other guy. Anyone can buy something and I do not think it is all that impressive out in the field.

So, If you don't know a siberian hitch from a Marlin spike hitch, nope I don't think your camping.

The ground is hard so I camp with a hammock.