• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Hair in Truck

Boss Hogg

Does anybody have a good way of picking up shed dog hair. I have a white springer with black seats in my truck. The vacuum doesn't do a good job at all, or does the roller sticky device. It almost seems like the hair is magnetic to the seats. (and clothes)

The wife says she won't ride in my truck anymore, unless the dog rides in back. Well, she gets better mileage with her car anyway.

have issues like you describe with my yellow lab.....like Caswell said, get a black one.

On sa serious note, wet a wash cloth and sweep the hair in the same general direction. The wet cloth gathers the hair that is not available to the vacumme sucker and makes it manageble to pick up/suck up. The wet cloth pull s the hair up from the trucks interior nap.

Good luck. My next dog will be black if the pedigree and garauntees are right.

Doesn't matter, I have a black lab and I spend way too much time doing the wet cloth thing, I also find it works the best. I started putting a blanket over the entire seat to minimize the work. I'm looking at buying seat covers. The darn Ford cloth seats sure have some kind of grip on dog hair!

Get a furminator and use it daily. Won't fix the problem should but will SIGNIFIGANTLY reduce the shedding that occurs from my experience. My dog only rides in the truck in her kennel and that keeps her shedding contained. (I have other reasons she only rides in the kennel not just for containg her shedding) Also using the sticky side of duck tape works much better then the lint rollers in my experience. But the bottom line is they shed and it can be a pita but we love em despite the flaws. :-)

I bought a small hand held vacuum with a rotating brush and it works a quite a bit better than shop vac. I have leather seats in the truck so the hair does not stick to those but the carpeted floors still get lots of hair.

On sa serious note, wet a wash cloth and sweep the hair in the same general direction. The wet cloth gathers the hair that is not available to the vacumme sucker and makes it manageble to pick up/suck up. The wet cloth pull s the hair up from the trucks interior nap.

I dry vac it first and then go with the wet wash cloth method to get the remainder.

You guys may not want to pay the price but my Chevy dealer suggested some bulletproof seat covers for my Tahoe/ Silverado trucks. They are some sort of heavy black material with a Chevy logo on the seat back. A full set was somewhere around $350 but these things are impervious to mud, ice, sand, dirt of any kind and dog hair just brushes out or falls on the floor and is easily whisked out.

I asked them for ideas on "Labrador proof seat covers" and these are what they suggested. Oh....and they TOTALLY protect my seats. Had 'em on '09 PU and now on the new Tahoe.

full-1213-44336-31fn4qhstll.jpg

A rubber electrostatic pet brush with a squeegee on one side. Less than $10 bucks, works great on auto seats. I've used it with two labs a black and yellow. In fact just used it yesterday on my seat that hadn't been cleaned all winter. I do use a pet blanket on the seat but this picks up the stray hair very well.

Do a search for Professional Rubber Pet Hair Removal Brush. Should find it no problem. smile

I got it on a whim a few years back on a bigger order. Thought for less then $10 it was worth a try. Been working great since then.

Some of the car detail guys start with an air hose to blow out things they can't get at with the vac and then go at it with a shop vac to pull the dust out of the fabric. I did this on a SUV I was selling and it was amazing even after vacuuming how much dust and craap came out of there from years of driving dirt roads hunting! shocked

use some sort of rubber brush, I have a black great dane and her short hair was embedded in the top of my vehicle. It came off pretty easy with the rubber brush, it also works great for a mircofiber couch cushions. Works great for short hair and longer haired dogs.

For what it's worth, based on post above I bought the brush pictured. Used it last night and in 15 minutes (and some elbow grease) the casting deck of my boat was cleaned of a week's worth of my yellow lab's shedding. IMHO - way better than sticky rollers, duct tape and wet cloth. Thanks for the tip!